Special thread dedicated to shots at Wise

caulfield12

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
whats even more inexcusable is that your opening day CF last year, is still on the roster, yet you didnt even try him in CF for 1 inning this spring, when in the near future you could forseeably have a glut of decent middle IF options

Yep, it's just inexcusable...I was thinking today that if you can get the Dodgers to pay most of his salary, I'd want Pierre on this team. Pierre stealing bases with Getz's bat control could be special.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I just don't know what the f*** KW was thinking this offseason. He was too busy trying to clean up his mistakes from last offseason (Swisher, OC's arb), and inexcusably did nothing to help this 25 man roster. It's honestly one of the worst GM decisions you'll ever see, and it's reflected in the booing by our great fans (I mean this sincerely, as it's fantastic to see people booing the decisions being made).

This is right. At least I hope that's why people are booing. But I'm afraid that Williams and Ozzie are doing to Dewayne what they did to Mackowiak by putting him in center -- putting him in a position to fail miserably and draw the ire of our fans. Wise has many drawbacks (cue the OBP numbers), but the guy was a useful player off the bench last year -- had some good pinch hits (and usually got good at-bats even if he didn't get on), stole some bases, and could fill in throughout the outfield (not brilliantly, but he was okay). But he's exposed in the way he's being played, and it's really a function of lousy decisions in the general manager's office. Whatever happens, I hope that he can at least be serviceable in the role he played last year. But I wonder what will happen to his confidence, thanks to being sacrificed at the altar of "no deals were available."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Everyone has seen this one coming like a deer in the headlights.

Umm, the point of that saying is that the deer didn't see it coming. And then when the deer did finally see the headlights, it was caught by surprise, thus the deer froze and couldn't think what to do next. Or, are you saying we're driving the car and seeing the deer in the headlights?

f*** me for analyzing this.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
This is right. At least I hope that's why people are booing. But I'm afraid that Williams and Ozzie are doing to Dewayne what they did to Mackowiak by putting him in center -- putting him in a position to fail miserably and draw the ire of our fans. Wise has many drawbacks (cue the OBP numbers), but the guy was a useful player off the bench last year -- had some good pinch hits (and usually got good at-bats even if he didn't get on), stole some bases, and could fill in throughout the outfield (not brilliantly, but he was okay). But he's exposed in the way he's being played, and it's really a function of lousy decisions in the general manager's office. Whatever happens, I hope that he can at least be serviceable in the role he played last year. But I wonder what will happen to his confidence, thanks to being sacrificed at the altar of "no deals were available."

agrees totally,Wise seems like a nice guy but a starting CF he is not,don't boo Wise,boo Ozzie and KW

Why shouldn't Wise be booed? He sucks, plain and simple; Wise has been a bad ballplayer his entire career and is still making a go at it. It's great to appreciate the effort he's making, but to not boo him would be like voting for that crappy oblivious kid on American Idol, because "you don't want him to know how bad he really is."

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Why shouldn't Wise be booed? He sucks, plain and simple; Wise has been a bad ballplayer his entire career and is still making a go at it. It's great to appreciate the effort he's making, but to not boo him would be like voting for that crappy oblivious kid on American Idol, because "you don't want him to know how bad he really is."

Because it's not Wise's fault he's getting trotted out there for something he's not able to do.

This is one of those deals where the fans have spoken.

Did they boo him noticeably again tonight?

If so, KW and Oz, do what the fans want. Dump him. No sense having the Cell be full of negative vibes all season.

We wouldn't lose much if anything if he's yanked off the team or at least out of the lineup.

It's really going to be a long year if the fans boo this guy every game.

Negative vibes suck. Oz and KW, make your next move. The fans hate Wise in cf.

-- I do think it's sad that Wise is the scapegoat here, but "it is what it is."

The fans have spoken, dump Wise.

Chris Rongey wants to wait a few weeks with Wise at the top, and if at that point he sucks then make a change. Sure Chris, lets tank the first month of the season giving the worst hitter in the lineup the most ABs. Good job Chris.

Can we give Mr Anderson a game, oh I am sure his first game after sitting for over a week will be Liriano.

I love the defense that Rongey and others are taking: "Give the guy a few weeks, he came through for us last year".

No he didn't.

His OBP was .29

He is not a major league baseball player.

He is not a starting center fielder.

He is not a leadoff hitter on a contender.

He is not a leadoff hitter.

Bring the boos.

Also, bring the booze.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
Sorry I don't know the answer to this yet.

Did the fans boo Wise a lot again tonight? Has it been really loud booing?

They booed when he popped out on a bunt attempt, it wasn't unbearably loud, but it was noticeable. They cheered, I guess sarcastically, when he made a play in CF.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:35 AM)
They booed when he popped out on a bunt attempt, it wasn't unbearably loud, but it was noticeable. They cheered, I guess sarcastically, when he made a play in CF.

There weren't enough fans in attendance to boo loudly enough to be really audible. That had to be one of the most boring games I can recall. The Sox didn't hit a ball within 50 feet of the outfield wall.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
agrees totally,Wise seems like a nice guy but a starting CF he is not,don't boo Wise,boo Ozzie and KW

You CAN'T boo Ozzie and KW, you can only boo the product of their decisions. If I were booing Dewayne Wise, it's not because I don't think the dude doesn't have a career in baseball - I still think he'd be a more than adequate 4th outfielder and pinch hitter - but rather because Ozzie and KW put him out there.

I think Wise is a huge waste in CF right now, and it's unfortunate that he's still out there.

Something that was disappointing is that even after yesterday's dramatic win, it seemed like the Wise issue was the most talked about thing relating to the Sox. When you add in Ozzie's ambiguous comments, it seemed to create some bad mojo. Poor Wise is going to be trying so hard at the plate to shut up everyone.

QUOTE (LZPride08 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
is anyone else embarrassed that our leadoff hitter is 0-8, with 4 K's and no BB... o and i guess he's never learned how to lay down a bunt

How many walks did he draw in the spring, how many walks does he draw overall. Wise is what he is, a career minor leaguer, who gets most of his OBP from his bat. He is not particularly good at hitting, can't field all that well. And is probably a 4th OF, on a mediocre team. Here, for some crazy reason he is a starter and a leadoff guy.

I figure he will get destroyed over the next month. They will move him from leadoff, and put him down at 9th for his laughable defense. Brian will get spot starts when Liriano, Lester, or some other lefty comes up to face the sox. Then of course its back to punt, kick and run the Dewayne Wise attack.

QUOTE (LZPride08 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
is anyone else embarrassed that our leadoff hitter is 0-8, with 4 K's and no BB... o and i guess he's never learned how to lay down a bunt

He has just as many hits as Ramirez and Quentin combined. I'm really not embarrassed. They are 1-1. His awfulness has not cost the White Sox a game yet. Hopefully, the White Sox will see the mistake they are making before it does.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
How many walks did he draw in the spring, how many walks does he draw overall. Wise is what he is, a career minor leaguer, who gets most of his OBP from his bat. He is not particularly good at hitting, can't field all that well. And is probably a 4th OF, on a mediocre team. Here, for some crazy reason he is a starter and a leadoff guy.

I figure he will get destroyed over the next month. They will move him from leadoff, and put him down at 9th for his laughable defense. Brian will get spot starts when Liriano, Lester, or some other lefty comes up to face the sox. Then of course its back to punt, kick and run the Dewayne Wise attack.

Yep, and the best part is gonna be when they give BA 6 AB's against Liriano/Lester and he goes 1-6..... after Wise goes 0-April..... I guarantee they say "SEE BA ISN'T THE ANSWER!!! HE CAN'T HIT!!!!!"

I love this team, but the way they refuse to admit they are wrong is frustrating as hell.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Yep, and the best part is gonna be when they give BA 6 AB's against Liriano/Lester and he goes 1-6..... after Wise goes 0-April..... I guarantee they say "SEE BA ISN'T THE ANSWER!!! HE CAN'T HIT!!!!!"

I love this team, but the way they refuse to admit they are wrong is frustrating as hell.

BA and Wise are both bad.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
BA and Wise are both bad.

People keep bringing this up....yes they're both bad, but I'm taking the glove and faint possibility of hits, neither of which you get with Wise.

This will be the lineup by May 1st:

getz

fields

q

thome

dye

pk

xei

ajp

BA

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
People keep bringing this up....yes they're both bad, but I'm taking the glove and faint possibility of hits, neither of which you get with Wise.

This will be the lineup by May 1st:

getz

fields

q

thome

dye

pk

xei

ajp

BA

That line up I like, AJ belongs down in the line up, now we'll have the auto out at the 9th hole.