If Getz were put into the leadoff spot

Princess Dye

to keep it L-R up top, people are saying Alexei

I dunno though, there's not enough bat control to me there. He has shown he can do stuff like the semi-butcherboy deal he last year..... but overall he's better hacking. Thats just the way he's meant to be effective as a major leaguer.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
Alexei, Fields or AJ. And none of the 3 are really prime 2nd hitter options.

The bunt single from Fields today leads me to believe he'd be ok in the 2 role. He's not ideal, but, he could be an option. Put Anderson in CF and slot him where Fields is hitting now and I think the lineup would have some good balance. Either that, or Wise could pan out as a serviceable player. We're only one game in.

I like Alexei. The big difference between Alexei and Fields is the K's. Fields will probably k 150 times this year even if he has a good year. Yes, he'll walk more than Alexei and take more pitches. But Alexei is going to put the ball in play.

If you get Getz/someone else on base, and you want a shot at getting them in to scoring position before Q et al., you want someone who's going to put the ball in play. Strikeouts will not be productive outs.

Alexei... hands down.

Forget the "traditional" thinking that you have to have a bat-control bunting type there. That's more myth than fact.

But it is a fact that the #2 hitter sees the second most fastballs of any hitter in the lineup.

Picture Alexei getting fed a diet of fastballs with Quentin backing him up, so pitchers wouldn't want to pitch around him.

I like it.

Edited by scenario

Josh really looks good so far, he's running well...he made a great defensive play that was a key...I think we should still give him time to build his confidence at the bottom of the line-up.

Ramirez makes a lot better contact and can run wild on the bases...and Josh will have the higher OBP at the bottom of the order, giving Getz and Alexei a chance to drive them in pretty frequently, then providing good speed in front of the heart of the line-up so we don't get stuck in this station-to-station malaise.

Ramirez, easily. Besides the 6-8 hole, the 2nd hole is the best spot in the lineup for him. He won't draw a ton of walks, but he knows how to put the ball into play. He doesn't K a ton (will probably average somewhere between 60-80 a year for his career) and can simply put the ball into play. He also has great speed, and has shown he can bunt, and he does have some bat control. I don't know where this junk about him having no bat control is coming from.

Also, with Fields, I'm hoping maybe he can cut down on his K's to 120. If he does that, he will have a shot. I'm really likely this new improved Fields. He has been mentally sharp, and seems to be playing with a lot more confidence.

I'd say Alexi as well. Less K's than Fields and more speed on the bases.

Not that Getz appears to be overwhelmed or lacking in confidence (far from it), but I'm not sure that it'd be a good idea to throw him into the leadoff spot tomorrow. Development-wise it might be better to keep him in the two-hole for a while. (That said, I have no idea who in the heck else on this team could legitimately hit leadoff.)

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
I'd say Alexi as well. Less K's than Fields and more speed on the bases.

Not that Getz appears to be overwhelmed or lacking in confidence (far from it), but I'm not sure that it'd be a good idea to throw him into the leadoff spot tomorrow. Development-wise it might be better to keep him in the two-hole for a while. (That said, I have no idea who in the heck else on this team could legitimately hit leadoff.)

I say give it a week. If Wise is still sucking and Getz is playing solid, you make the changes. Everything I have seen of Getz so far is that there is no indication of him being overwhelmed or anything. He easily won the 2B job in what seemed to be a tough battle, he is emitting confidence everytime I see him bat. He's just a baseball player. He just wants to play, and I get the feeling from watching him is that he doesn't get intimidated much. He's extremely smart, and the best option we have for leadoff.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
He still hasn't proven he's a major league hitter and still strikes out a lot.

The #2 hitter's job is to strike out a lot and sacrifice himself so that the leadoff guy can get to 2nd base.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
The #2 hitter's job is to strike out a lot and sacrifice himself so that the leadoff guy can get to 2nd base.

what!?!? Strike out a lot? The no. 2 hitters job is to move the runner along, and get on base possibly for himself. If the no. 2 hitters job was to strike out a lot, Fields or Wise would be the perfect candidate.

That is just beyond ridiculous what you just said. I hope you were joking.

WHITE SOX IN BRIEF: Ozzie being patient with Wise, but Getz looks up to the job

Recommend Comments

April 8, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY AND TONI GINNETTI [email protected] [email protected]

The White Sox' leadoff role goes to Dewayne Wise -- for now. In manager Ozzie Guillen's mind, Chris Getz is ready if a change is necessary.

''I don't want to put [Wise] on the spot where he's like, 'Wow, I've got to do [something] right away or I'm out,''' Guillen said. ''I want to see how good his at-bats are, what kind of at-bats he's going to give us.

RELATED STORIES

SURPRISE, SURPRISE: SAME OLD WHITE SOX

''But Getz can lead off anytime easily. In the meantime, I don't want to just throw that kid in that situation.''

Wise went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts Tuesday and failed to get down a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning with Josh Fields at first. That was corrected when Getz singled and Jim Thome homered.

''Your teammates pick you up,'' Wise said, adding he wasn't surprised by boos from the crowd. ''Fans want you to do good. You have a bad game, they'll boo. It's part of the game.

''I didn't have a good game, but we won. Tomorrow could be a better day, and the crowd will be back on my side.''

General manager Ken Williams called Wise ''a fighter'' who fits the mold of players he likes to nurture. But Williams admitted the job stayed in house because of the lack of prototypical leadoff men available in trade.

''The easiest thing in the world is to say you have to go out and get a leadoff hitter ... who can hit .300 and get on base, steal 50 bases,'' Williams said. ''But when people are pressed to say where are you going to get that guy, it's 'Don't worry -- you just go get him.'

''Rest assured we've been aggressive and tried to get those guys. That's no slap on Dewayne. It's not a matter of price. There is no price. [Teams] don't even want to talk about [trading] those guys.''

Better option? Not surprisingly, Sox general manager Kenny Williams said he has looked around for a more established leadoff man than Dewayne Wise.

Williams said there are none to be found.

"The easiest thing in the world is to say you have to go out and get a leadoff hitter, get the prototypical guy who can hit you .300 and get on base at .370, steal 50 bases," Williams said. "But when people are pressed to say where are you going to get that guy it's, 'Don't worry about it; you just go get him.'

"I have to go back in the lab and create that guy. Rest assured, we have been looking for one, and aggressively. We've asked about them and tried to get them, and that's no slight on Dewayne. You can't create something that's not there, so you make do."

Williams said the White Sox have no interest in two expensive leadoff hitters that are supposedly available - the Dodgers' Juan Pierre and the Angels' Gary Matthews Jr.

"We weren't on those particular players at any price," Williams said. "I wouldn't say any price. It wasn't something we thought was a fit."

from dailyherald.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)

No one's job is ever to strike out a lot. That is just silly.

In an ideal world, you want your 2nd hitter to be high contact, high OBP, with the ability to hit to the right side on demand. A little speed is helpful as well, and the ability to lay down a bunt.