Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears are stockpiling WRs... I like it

By Vaughn McClure

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo talked after the draft about finding a pretty good receiver right in the team's backyard. Angelo was referring to Northwestern's Eric Peterman. According to a source close to the player, Peterman signed a free-agent contract with the Bears shortly after the draft.

Peterman (6-1, 200) caught 59 passes for 737 yards and six touchdowns last season.He had seven catches for 83 yards in the Alamo Bowl against Missouri.

It's not like our secondary is completely f***ing barren either.

You give Rod all these talents to work with on the DL and all the sudden you have a pretty damn solid defensive line. Then in the secondary we still have Tillman and Vasher (granted he was down last year, but has proven to be a decent corner and a turnover machine). Then keep in mind Bowman has been moved to safety, he is very talented if he stays healthy. A big if I realize, but if he's on the field he can play. Throw in Payne, Steltz, and Bullocks and it's not like we are talking about one of the worst secondaries in the league.

With a GREATLY improved defensive line this group could actually look pretty formidable.

You need good players that are able to execute, be it D line , linebackers and secondary. The game has evolved to more of a scheme game rather than individual or a certain cog of a defense. You really need everybody to be on the same page and execute. I have been fortunate to see some of the best Qb's play in person.. Marino, Elway, Montana and Kelly. I seen it when either one of these guys torched good d lines and torched good secondarys. but the fact in all of this , was that no matter how great these guys were, the Defense that had the better scheme always found a way to beat these greats, and it was not the team with the better D-line or secondary but scheme (A full team effort).

Edited by Soxpranos

I think the Bears did about as well as you could reasonably expect in this draft all things considered. They got some very good value picks, and I think a few holes were filled (although some remain, obviously). Hopefully Iglesias goes better than Mark Bradley, and hopefully the Abilene Christian connection works out again (I thought Manning was pretty good last year actually). Gilbert and Melton, IMO, could help right away on the defensive line and the Bears REALLY need help there and I think D.J. Moore adds much needed depth at corner. Marcus Freeman is a guy they need to step in and help depthwise too, but I think he can. I don't think the Bears made a single pick that upset me, which might be a first.

And last, I couldn't be happier for Larry English. He's heading into a pretty good situation, and I couldn't think of a better person to represent NIU as our first guy to be selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

How could you NOT give the Bears an A considering they had zero day one picks? I love the picks of Iglesias, Moore, and Freeman, and the potential for guys like Knox, Gilbert, and Melton is great as well.

BTW, a great line > great secondary EVERY day. It all begins and ends with the lines.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Seriously, why did we go with Louis and Kinder when guys like Canfield and Cadogen were there? Both guys were projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th, but were there in the 7th.

You would figure that by watching enough drafts people would understand that projections don't mean s***..

Its why superstar Rey Maualuga goes in Round 2

Its why there are always players that you see in the 5th or later and say to yourself "zOMG I saw a mock with them in the second how could we not draft them!?!?!?!"

Duke Robinson was a 2nd round prospect in a LOT of mocks, dude fell like a rock. The only people who truly know player value are the people running these teams with the exception of Al Davis. That's why I try not to get up in arms about who my team drafts, its very easy to get caught up in "experts" mocks and be furious when you think your team reached or blew it by passing on someone.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
You need good players that are able to execute, be it D line , linebackers and secondary. The game has evolved to more of a scheme game rather than individual or a certain cog of a defense. You really need everybody to be on the same page and execute. I have been fortunate to see some of the best Qb's play in person.. Marino, Elway, Montana and Kelly. I seen it when either one of these guys torched good d lines and torched good secondarys. but the fact in all of this , was that no matter how great these guys were, the Defense that had the better scheme always found a way to beat these greats, and it was not the team with the better D-line or secondary but scheme (A full team effort).

Your argument still lacks substance.

A dominant defensive tackle can have an enormous impact stuffing the run. Yet, the major part of his contribution is to tie up inside blockers so they can't lend a hand blocking ends rushing from the outside.

A middle linebacker tends to have more room to operate if he's working behind an exceptional defensive end drawing blocking to the outside.

A cornerback and a safety can suddenly become more effective in coverage if he has the help of a defensive end applying strong pressure on the passer.

Look, you are both right

You could have the best defensive front ever with a weak secondary and get toasted. You can have the best secondary ever with a weak defensive front and get toasted.

You need to get pressure on the QB from your defensive front while having an adequate secondary to fulfill this argument. Yes, the defensive front is more important, but no you can not just have scrubs back there.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
FWIW Mel Kiper says Jarron Gilbert was the steal of the draft.

And that says a lot as far am I'm concerned. Mel Kiper comes off as a dick at times. But this dude straight knows his football. Best football analyst out there, IMO.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
And that says a lot as far am I'm concerned. Mel Kiper comes off as a dick at times. But this dude straight knows his football. Best football analyst out there, IMO.

Really? I used to think he knew his stuff, but every time they put him on the air with, I think his name is Todd McShay, Mel Kiper comes off looking like an idiot imo. But in terms of football my favorite two guys are Jaws and cant remember the other guy, the one who along with jaws always is breaking down the film and showing how plays developed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)

Mel Kipers opinion is pretty much worthless.

Hes never worked for the NFL as an actual scout, he is just some guy that does his own research and makes his own predictions. In case you haven't noticed by now, he trashes all picks that don't fall in line with his ratings and loves all of the picks that are right by him or are taken after he slotted them..

I now understand why some of you prefer the NFLN coverage better, it was way better. I like actually hearing about the guys who get drafted instead of watching Erin Andrews interview Quan Cosby with Bill Cosby cracking wise in the background.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
Really? I used to think he knew his stuff, but every time they put him on the air with, I think his name is Todd McShay, Mel Kiper comes off looking like an idiot imo. But in terms of football my favorite two guys are Jaws and cant remember the other guy, the one who along with jaws always is breaking down the film and showing how plays developed.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think McShay is terrible. I literally did as well as him projecting the draft and this is his full time job. The guy has no idea what he's talking about. He makes Kiper (who I've never been a big fan of) look 10x better than he used to.

Anyway, thank god I have the NFL Network b/c I really enjoyed their draft coverage. I didn't watch 1 second of ESPN this whole draft.

Btw, count me in as one of those who is a firm believer that it all starts in the trenches. I'd rather have a great D-line than a great defensive backfield.

Edited by dasox24

From the Sun-Times... Some of the UDFA's the Bears have already signed:

Mike Rivera, LB, Kansas. Rivera didn't perform as well during his senior year at Kansas as he did in previous seasons but he had a good showing at his pro day when Bears scout Teddy Monago was in attendance. At 6-2, 245 pounds, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds and his 38 1/2 inch vertical jump was eye opening. Rivera had interest from other teams but chose the Bears for the opportunity. Perhaps he could get in the mix on the strong side if he really excels.

Dahna Deleston, SS, UConn. Deleston isn't going to solve any issues at free safety but agent Ed Wasielewski said he has the ability to make an impact on special teams quickly.

Will Taufoou, FB, Cal. The Bears landed one of the better fullbacks that was in this draft. Taufoou had interest from more than half of the teams in the league, including some with money offers, but chose the Bears because he liked the opportunity on the roster. Check out this video of him catching a pass out of the backfield.

Dennis Conley, G, Hampton. The Bears did not select an offensive lineman in the draft unless San Diego State's Lance Louis is moved inside. The Bears called him a tight end but how many 303-pound tight ends do you know?

Johan Asiata, G, UNLV. Played right tackle and left guard for the Rebels. How many NFL players have been born in New Zealand?

Kevin Malast, LB, Rutgers. Malast is a little undersized at 6-foot, 236 pounds, but he ran well at his pro day. Here is a little reading on him.

Tyrell Fenroy, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette. He is a former all-Sun Belt Conference performer.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
Mel Kipers opinion is pretty much worthless.

Hes never worked for the NFL as an actual scout, he is just some guy that does his own research and makes his own predictions. In case you haven't noticed by now, he trashes all picks that don't fall in line with his ratings and loves all of the picks that are right by him or are taken after he slotted them..

I now understand why some of you prefer the NFLN coverage better, it was way better. I like actually hearing about the guys who get drafted instead of watching Erin Andrews interview Quan Cosby with Bill Cosby cracking wise in the background.

Um, OK? Who said he was a scout? I said that I think he's a great FOOTBALL ANALYST. And I already said that he can come off as an arrogant cock at times. But over the years, he's been right a lot more than he's been wrong on most of his observations.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 04:28 AM)
I'm of the opposite opinion. I think McShay is terrible.

He literally doesnt watch much football, I was counting the amount of absolutely false statements he was making and ran out of fingers in about a 2 min span at one point.

Last night on the radio John Clayton said that no one has had a worse offseason than Josh McDaniels. He downgraded from Cutler to Orton, didnt address any of the team needs through the draft, traded away future picks. He was quite critical of young Josh

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Last night on the radio John Clayton said that no one has had a worse offseason than Josh McDaniels. He downgraded from Cutler to Orton, didnt address any of the team needs through the draft, traded away future picks. He was quite critical of young Josh

If I were a Broncos fan I'd be contemplating homicide.