Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I think Mel Kiper was offered a job by the Baltimore Colts in 1983 before they moved to Indianapolis. I could be wrong, but I think he makes more money doing what he does now than what he would make working for an NFL team.

He obviously is very arrogant, and nothing makes that more clear than the on-air argument he had with Colts Director of Football Operations Bill Tobin when the Colts took Marshall Faulk rather than a QB...Kiper said something like "that's why the Colts are picking 2nd every year and not contending for a Super Bowl."

But the guy knows his stuff, is recognized as the foremost commentator and expert on the draft, and while he is certainly wrong at times, he knows a hell of a lot more than anyone on this board (and probably more than many NFL executives) about players entering the draft.

So disagree with him all you want, and personally, I don't particularly care for the guy, but to claim he doesn't know his stuff is not in the least bit accurate.

Most people meaning who? ESPN. Please.

No one said Mel Kiper knows nothing, I just said that I think his opinion is worthless because unless you draft in line with his ratings, he hates your draft/pick.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiper gets paid to be controversial.

No one watches tv to see:

"Well this pick may be good we will have to wait 3-4 years to see what happens."

Because in reality thats all you can say after every pick. If this was a science were there was a right way versus a wrong way 32 teams wouldnt pass on Montana, Brady, Terrell Davis, etc etc.

So he gets paid to be controversial and to say that his rating is the best.

Thats his job, and he gets paid for his opinion.

I love Mel Kiper personally. He's been wrong on alot of occasions, but he is one of the rare ESPN analyst that is legit and knows what he's talking about. Also called D.J. Moore (our 4th or 5th round pick I believe) the best late steal of the draft.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 02:34 AM)
I love Mel Kiper personally. He's been wrong on alot of occasions, but he is one of the rare ESPN analyst that is legit and knows what he's talking about. Also called D.J. Moore (our 4th or 5th round pick I believe) the best late steal of the draft.

I don't know about Moore, but he said Gilbert was his steal of the entire draft.

I'm personally pretty happy with Shawn Nelson as a late round steal. A lot of draft experts really like him as a receiving threat at the tight end position, and it's something the Bills really haven't had since the days of like Jay Riemersma, Lonnie Johnson, and even going back to Pete Metzelaars. If there is an in-house replacement for Peters who can atleast be solid, I'm pretty stoked about what this offense may be able to do, although I don't see Parrish making it out of preseason with the team simply because I think there will be a team that will give up a 2nd day pick for him. The backfield is pretty solid with Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes, the receiving corps is legit, and Edwards is a pretty damn good QB when he's not hurt (which is usually atleast a game or two every year).

I'm still pretty concerned about the defense, though it should be solid. Need Schobel to come back strong and Maybin needs to be a hell of a 3rd down guy this year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
I don't know about Moore, but he said Gilbert was his steal of the entire draft.

Angelo agreed with waddle and silvy that Moore was a 2nd round talent in a smaller body. I keep reading that Moore was an absolute steal, especially in our cover 2 system. Could be the next Vasher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)

As just a fan of football, I love Mel Kiper as well. He knows a lot of his stuff. Are some guys going to pan out that he originally didn't predict? Yes. Will some guys bust that he didn't think would? Yes. Everyone's wrong, but I find it he's a lot better at predicting than most other teams.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
As just a fan of football, I love Mel Kiper as well. He knows a lot of his stuff. Are some guys going to pan out that he originally didn't predict? Yes. Will some guys bust that he didn't think would? Yes. Everyone's wrong, but I find it he's a lot better at predicting than most other teams.

Mike Williams wasn't Kiper's finest moment... ooof

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Someone will pick him up for a little bit if he wants to play.

If the price was right, he would be a nice compliment to Forte -- but we already re-signed Kevin Jones so it wouldnt make cap-sense

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
If the price was right, he would be a nice compliment to Forte -- but we already re-signed Kevin Jones so it wouldnt make cap-sense

He wouldn't sign with the Bears anyway

The reason he wanted out of Arizona is because they used Hightower a lot and threw a lot, he wants to be the man still so I wouldn't see that working out.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
The reason he wanted out of Arizona is because they used Hightower a lot and threw a lot, he wants to be the man still so I wouldn't see that working out.

No one's going to sign him to be the man again or offer him the man kind of money. He's going to wind up being a part timer at best.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
No one's going to sign him to be the man again or offer him the man kind of money. He's going to wind up being a part timer at best.

I agree. I can't see a team signing the edge to be THE GUY. I can see him landing in Detroit, Cleveland, Jacksonville, as a complimentary guy. Buffalo might have made sense before they signed Rhodes -- maybe.

"How arrogant can Josh McDaniels be?"

The Denver Broncos' 33-year-old Boy Blunder boasted this week that his draft board had fewer than 100 names on it, which made it easy for him to make his picks. Less than a hundred names when 256 players were drafted? Most boards had 500-plus names on them! Furthermore, he said the Broncos had worked out nearly 30 players and all 10 of his choices were among those 30. In other words, "I'm not capable of making a mistake. If I didn't work the guy out, the guy wasn't good enough. Period." This is the same genius who traded one of Denver's first-round choices in 2010 to move up in the second round to take a 5'9'' defensive back—Alphonso Smith. To repeat: Boy Blunder used a first to take a second. And if the Broncos are going to be as lame as I think they're going to be—4-12 perhaps—that first-round pick will be very high. McDaniels is the worst combination of things: Terribly naïve and doubly confident. Bronco fans, you're screwed.

Rick Reilly

To be fair, you cant really say "he used a 1st to draft someone in the 2nd" because most of the time when trading for current round picks the return is usually a round earlier for the next year. Either way, I thought it was a dumb trade to make anyways.

Im not shocked his draft board wasn't that big, Miami traded away their 7th this year because they didn't have anyone else they wanted to take either. So small draft boards aren't something that surprises me, and its not like out of 256 players there are gonna be 256 you want anyways depending on how you've scouted or your needs fall.

I think what he meant to say is that usually when teams trade their next years first, its because they believe they are on the brink of contending. Therefore their 1st is most likely going to be a late round pick, so they are getting a guy in the 2nd they want.

McDaniels traded the Broncos pick which could be a very high pick.

I noticed that Derek Pegues (FS/CB) from Mississippi St is trying out for the Bears this weekend. I love it. At one point (after his JR year) he was a projected 2nd/3rd round pick, but a bad 40-time and 2 arrests (got in a fight with an off-duty cop = terrible decision) during his time at State killed his draft status. Still, he's a playmaker and was a darn good FS in the SEC. I really hope that guy gets a FA contract. Definitely worth a shot.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I think what he meant to say is that usually when teams trade their next years first, its because they believe they are on the brink of contending. Therefore their 1st is most likely going to be a late round pick, so they are getting a guy in the 2nd they want.

McDaniels traded the Broncos pick which could be a very high pick.

That's what surprised me the most about that trade. I couldn't believe they traded their own pick rather than the Bears'. I guess McDaniels is that confident (cocky?) in his team that he thinks they'll end up with a better record than the Bears. My brother-in-law, who's a huge Broncos fan, is so pissed right now about what's happened to his team over the last month or so. And I don't blame him.