Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Here's why I say what I did about the Stallworth situation.

It's a tragedy, yes. But Stallworth has handled this as best as you can every step of the way. No prior records. Also, the family of the man who was killed seems to be okay with his joke of a jail sentence & whatever settlement that they recieved.

I know Goodell wants to uphold the integrity of the league but this isn't a Pacman Jones or a Rae Carruth situation we're talking about here. Basically, it wasn't premeditated. Basically Stallworth is being made an example by good ol' Roger. It's not as if this is going to make players anymore aware of the dangers of driving under the influence. So instead of dealing with the situation in a positive manner, it's set to hang over the NFL all season.

Really? Donte KILLED somebody while driving under the influence. PacMan is a horrible guy who started numerous fights/brawls, has an addiction to strip clubs, a buddy of his shot and paralyzed somebody, but a man is dead from Stallworth driving after drinking. How did Goodell overreact????

The man's family is a poor immigrant family who lost their main, if not only, source of income. I'm sure they were more concerned about their family's survival and realized they had a chance to support themselves after their loss.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
He also lost games because teams stuffed his running attempts and he was going to depend on that because he was inconsistent as a passer. When teams were able to contain his running ability, the Falcons had no chance.

Easier said than done, hence his career winning record.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
He also lost games because teams stuffed his running attempts and he was going to depend on that because he was inconsistent as a passer. When teams were able to contain his running ability, the Falcons had no chance.

And not many teams stopped his running ability. And again, he did pass the ball and made Alge Crumpler some money. You would think this guy was on the Patriots and failed to take them past 5 wins the way you talk about him.

He also had Warrick Dunn run for 1100, 1400, and 1100 yards in 3 consecutive seasons. He didn't make Warrick Dunn good.

And the reason he made Alge Crumpler a good player because he'd roll out of the pocket and Crumpler would be the last guy he would throw to.

What goes unmentioned far too often is that, while Vick was an outstanding running QB, he was also sacked a ton.

2001 - 289 yards, 21 sacks, 113 yards lost (net 176)

2002 - 777 yards, 33 sacks, 206 yards lost (net 571)

2003 - 255 yards, 9 sacks, 64 yards lost (net 191)

2004 - 902 yards, 46 sacks, 266 yards lost (net 636)

2005 - 597 yards, 33 sacks, 201 yards lost (net 396)

2006 - 1039 yards, 45 sacks, 303 yards lost (net 736)

Those sacks are opportunities for yards down field that were lost simply because he couldn't get rid of the ball, partly because he felt he could create opportunities. He ran the s*** out of the ball, but was not a great QB.

He was a key component of the Falcons offensive attack who you had to gameplan around, but his presence is/was more like that of Devin Hester than it is Peyton Manning. If you could stop it or figure out a way to shut it down, you were almost always going to win the game. That's why he never really got close to getting to the Superbowl (1 NFC championship; they got stomped by Philadelphia). Vick can win regular season games and make flashy plays, but he's never really going to be anything more than an X-factor.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
And people still like him a ton. He's showing the same problem he had late last year. He's staring down the receiver that he's going to pass it to.

Kyle Orton is a "game manager." Orton has below average arm strength and he's not consistently accurate. He has all the makings of a journeyman quarterback.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Kyle Orton is a "game manager." Orton has below average arm strength and he's not consistently accurate. He has all the makings of a journeyman quarterback.

There's nothing wrong with that if you have the right team around him. Denver does not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
There's nothing wrong with that if you have the right team around him. Denver does not.

There is nothing wrong with it, unless you desire to win the Superbowl. Qb's like Orton are good for teams with 8-8 records that are fooling themselves into thinking that the they are serious contenders. The only QB in recent memory that won the Superbowl with an Orton-like set of abilities was Trent Dilfer.

I'm not a complete Orton hater, but he's not the kind of guy I would want leading my team for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
There is nothing wrong with it, unless you desire to win the Superbowl. Qb's like Orton are good for teams with 8-8 records that are fooling themselves into thinking that the they are serious contenders. The only QB in recent memory that won the Superbowl with an Orton-like set of abilities was Trent Dilfer.

I'm not a complete Orton hater, but he's not the kind of guy I would want leading my team for an extended period of time.

You put Orton on a team like Minnesota, where there's a star running back and a run-killing defense, and you've got a potentially really solid fit. Esp. if you can come up with a possession WR. Denver doesnt' have either of those.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
You put Orton on a team like Minnesota, where there's a star running back and a run-killing defense, and you've got a potentially really solid fit. Esp. if you can come up with a possession WR. Denver doesnt' have either of those.

You make a good argument, and I think Orton would be a good fit for the Vikings. However, in the playoffs the teams with the super running games seemingly always do worse than those teams with good passing attacks. I think there comes a time in every season when you need your quarterback to win a game for you. I don't know if I would trust Orton to do that for a contending team.

Still, I think he has a place in the league.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
And people still like him a ton. He's showing the same problem he had late last year. He's staring down the receiver that he's going to pass it to.

That and his long-range accuracy is still bad.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
You make a good argument, and I think Orton would be a good fit for the Vikings. However, in the playoffs the teams with the super running games seemingly always do worse than those teams with good passing attacks. I think there comes a time in every season when you need your quarterback to win a game for you. I don't know if I would trust Orton to do that for a contending team.

Still, I think he has a place in the league.

I can make the argument against you pretty easily; look at the last couple superbowl winners, other than the Colts. You had the Steelers in there twice and the Giants once. Those teams got there on the strength of their ground game. They had QB's who could make plays, but their QB's didn't carry them. Going back further you hit the Bucs and the Ravens, similarly; running teams, average QB, amazing defenses. On the other hand, you've got the Colts and the Pats, led by HOF QB's, but even then, they had serious defensive and running help in some of those years (the Colts basically beat the Bears on the ground, Corey Dillon did some real damage for NE when he was there, and then there was the NE defense).

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)

Tampa won with Brad Johnson as their QB, so thats two superbowl teams that have won in recent history with a game manager QB. Really Big Ben isnt that great of a QB either, his one strong point is he can scramble and hard to take down.