Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Eli Manning is being paid more than Rivers, and Eli Manning is, in my mind, a far inferior QB.

Rivers is a lot better than Eli, it really isn't close. I'd put Rivers in the top 5 Qb's in the league and I think if Cutler were to sign we'd see him sign for a deal similar to that of Phillip Rivers. If we wait a year, it might be even higher.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Cutler has a chance to be a top 5 QB if he gets more weapons.

He had more weapons than Rivers in Denver (even when LT was healthy and great, let alone when he wasn't last year), and Rivers was still a better QB. Moving to Chicago, where his weapons are inferior to what he has had in the past, won't help.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
He had more weapons than Rivers in Denver (even when LT was healthy and great, let alone when he wasn't last year), and Rivers was still a better QB. Moving to Chicago, where his weapons are inferior to what he has had in the past, won't help.

no

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Fine, Rivers is above average. I think the point is that he's getting paid more than quarterbacks that are better than he is.

Forget who is being paid what, please list me every QB in the NFL right now that is better than Rivers. We can go ahead and eliminate the Super Bowl wins as well, and just go off of pure results from the QB position.

I will go ahead and make my list first, in no special order..

1. Drew Brees

2. Peyton Manning

Im not putting Tom Brady on that list because I do not believe in his spiked Randy Moss spread offense season.. Tom Brady is widely viewed as this messiah of a QB, when in fact prior to that freak season he was roughly a mid 3,000 yard mid 20 TD with INT's in the teens QB. Lower 60's in comp % as well. That was Tom Bradys norm over 6 years as the starter.

This was Rivers third year as the starter, with arguably the best RB in the league being the focal point of that offense. Hes right on par with exactly what Tom Brady had been doing for years.

Anyway you look at it, you have to pay to keep a franchise QB around. I am just interested to know who you think is better than Rivers..

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)

Marshall, Royal, and who?

Rivers had LT, Sproles, Gates, and Vincent Jackson.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
Forget who is being paid what, please list me every QB in the NFL right now that is better than Rivers. We can go ahead and eliminate the Super Bowl wins as well, and just go off of pure results from the QB position.

I will go ahead and make my list first, in no special order..

1. Drew Brees

2. Peyton Manning

Im not putting Tom Brady on that list because I do not believe in his spiked Randy Moss spread offense season.. Tom Brady is widely viewed as this messiah of a QB, when in fact prior to that freak season he was roughly a mid 3,000 yard mid 20 TD with INT's in the teens QB. Lower 60's in comp % as well. That was Tom Bradys norm over 6 years as the starter.

This was Rivers third year as the starter, with arguably the best RB in the league being the focal point of that offense. Hes right on par with exactly what Tom Brady had been doing for years.

Anyway you look at it, you have to pay to keep a franchise QB around. I am just interested to know who you think is better than Rivers..

1. Peyton Manning

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Kurt Warner

5. Ben Roethlisberger

6. Donovan McNabb

7. Romo/Rivers/Cutler

I can't in all good heart say that Kurt Warner is a top 5 QB in the league. He had a fantastic year last year, but he's still a statue in the pocket, has Brett Favre syndrome (in that he'll just chuck it downfield and hope someone comes down with it), and he fumbles and turns the ball over a ton. His 30-14 TD:INT ratio last year looks solid enough, but add in 11 fumbles, 7 of which the Cardinals lost, and that TD:TO ratio becomes 30-21, which isn't good. Beyond that, Kurt Warner has never had a good year when he had even an average cast of wideouts: Bruce, Holt, and Faulk in St. Louis, and Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston in Arizona.

Good call on Brady too TRU. I think Tom Brady might be one of the smartest QBs in the game, but in the end that's all that means. He's a fantastic game manager who I do not believe is one of the top 3 QBs in the league but will look like it because of his receiving corps.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
1. Peyton Manning

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Kurt Warner

5. Ben Roethlisberger

6. Donovan McNabb

7. Romo/Rivers/Cutler

You cant honestly think Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger are better QB's than Rivers. Also Romo is definitely a tier below him without a doubt. I can see someone making a case for Brady and D-Mac being better, but that still puts Rivers in the top5.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
1. Peyton Manning

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Kurt Warner

5. Ben Roethlisberger

6. Donovan McNabb

7. Romo/Rivers/Cutler

Donovan McNabb is a career comp% of 58, has one 30+ TD season, and has never thrown for over 4,000 yards. To be honest with you, 2004 was the only season he was "great" anyways.

Big Ben was about as good as Orton last season. Hes a good QB as long as they are a run first team with that defense. Thats how hes been good.

Cutler? You must be a Bears fan.

Just because Kurt Warner has a really good season, which would make ONE in the past SEVEN, doesn't make him better than Rivers. Sorry.

Romo is the only solid case you have made. Either way, Rivers is a top 5 QB in this league.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Donovan McNabb is a career comp% of 58, has one 30+ TD season, and has never thrown for over 4,000 yards. To be honest with you, 2004 was the only season he was "great" anyways.

Big Ben was about as good as Orton last season. Hes a good QB as long as they are a run first team with that defense. Thats how hes been good.

Just because Kurt Warner has a really good season, which would make ONE in the past SEVEN, doesn't make him better than Rivers. Sorry.

Romo is the only solid case you have made. Either way, Rivers is a top 5 QB in this league.

Steelers haven't been a run first team really since Bettis left. Hard to put 5 QB's ahead of Ben. He was the Steelers entire offense last year. He was playing behind one of the worst OL's in the league and didn't have a running game to back him up.

In 07 when he actually had a decent OL he put up tremendous numbers.

He has the most weapons he has ever had this year, but the OL is still a question mark unfortunately. Don't know if he can take another season of pounding.

Rivers and Ben are pretty equal as QB's. Rivers had more weapons and put up fantastic numbers, but Ben did more with less and didn't have the Chargers OL or rushing attack. If the Steelers OL has a nice turn-around, then Rivers' and Ben's numbers should be pretty similar.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
You cant honestly think Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger are better QB's than Rivers. Also Romo is definitely a tier below him without a doubt. I can see someone making a case for Brady and D-Mac being better, but that still puts Rivers in the top5.

Romo definitely a tier below? GMAFB.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)

Rivers also only has one 30+ TD season as well & only thrown only 4,000 once...Oh, but he's better right?

Palehosefan already made my point for me about Ben.

Actually, I'm a Cowboys fan.

Just because Rivers had a really good year last year, it doesn't all of a sudden shoot him up to top 5 in the league. Do it again, then we can talk.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Haha, mhizzle don't know his football too well.

And you do?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Romo definitely a tier below? GMAFB.

Rivers also only has one 30+ TD season as well & only thrown only 4,000 once...Oh, but he's better right?

Palehosefan already made my point for me about Ben.

Actually, I'm a Cowboys fan.

Just because Rivers had a really good year last year, it doesn't all of a sudden shoot him up to top 5 in the league. Do it again, then we can talk.

And you do?

So the Cowboys fan thinks Romo is as good as Rivers and the Steelers fan thinks Big Ben is better than Rivers, while the rest seemingly disagree... interesting eh?