Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
Beanie will be a dud. I'm calling it here.

He'll be lucky to get 3 yards a carry and 800 yards this year.

I'd like to know why you think that. Kid has been a top talent since HS, he has breakaway speed and size, both which translate well to the NFL.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I'd like to know why you think that. Kid has been a top talent since HS, he has breakaway speed and size, both which translate well to the NFL.

Im not going to argue with you because you are a Ohio state homer and you know and love your guys, Im just going to say that every time I saw him on Saturdays he was underwhelming to me. Large(as in overweight), slow of foot, and heavily reliant on a great O-line that plowed a lot of holes for him, I never saw the breakaway speed.

To me he always looked like a Jerome Bettis type, someone who is going to lower his head and bring the thunder. Not that it is a bad thing, but Beanie never looked like a speed back to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)

He's injury prone bordering on soft (probably more than bordering on soft), and he doesn't appear to carry his weight very well. If he stays on the field, he's good, but I have doubts if he will ever be able to do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Im not going to argue with you because you are a Ohio state homer and you know and love your guys, Im just going to say that every time I saw him on Saturdays he was underwhelming to me. Large(as in overweight), slow of foot, and heavily reliant on a great O-line that plowed a lot of holes for him, I never saw the breakaway speed.

To me he always looked like a Jerome Bettis type, someone who is going to lower his head and bring the thunder. Not that it is a bad thing, but Beanie never looked like a speed back to me.

Honestly Kyle, based on your comments above, it doesnt appear you've ever actually watched him play a game. Bettis didnt have the ability to hurdle a guy standing up nor did he have the pure speed Beanie does. Beanie ran a 4.46 and a 4.34 at OSU pro day, and coming into college he ran a 4.4 I believe. Its a really poor comparison. Secondly, the O-line at OSU was incredibly piss poor. There is I believe 1 o-lineman in the NFL that played with him. And it doesnt have much to do with him being from OSU, the guy was the AA MVP coming out of HS, was the #1 RB and produced in college very well. You should check out some youtube videos of him if you want to see his speed. I honestly am not sure we are talking about the same guy.

Here is a decent vid of his soph year, you can clearly see him running away from secondaries. He made Craig Steltz look like he was standing still in the title game (about the only good play all game) on a 65 yard run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lylP9aeFc7E

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
He's injury prone bordering on soft (probably more than bordering on soft), and he doesn't appear to carry his weight very well. If he stays on the field, he's good, but I have doubts if he will ever be able to do that.

Thats fairly accurate that he is injury prone. But soft is a pretty bad desciption. I think of soft as a guy who sits out for little aches and pains, Beanie played through a foot injury that kept NFL RB's out for the season. I dont consider that soft, but I DO consider that injury indicative of someone who is injury prone. It was a freak injury, but he has had several of those on his ankles/feet since he went to OSU and that should be a bit alarming to his team. If he is healthy, he could be a premier back though IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Looks like the wildcat trend is spreading, and I could only imagine Ray Lewis licks his chops everytime he sees a QB or WR in a place they're not supposed to be. If people run it a lot against the Ravens I'm predicting one or two highlight reel destructions by Ray Ray

Never will happen because QBs dont run more than 2-3 yards on these plays once the ball is snapped. The QBs for the most part arent in involved in any danger. The danger is on the defense since it seems like the QBs dont know how to block and when they do, its illegal and potentially harmful.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Never will happen because QBs dont run more than 2-3 yards on these plays once the ball is snapped. The QBs for the most part arent in involved in any danger. The danger is on the defense since it seems like the QBs dont know how to block and when they do, its illegal and potentially harmful.

I don't know why you'd actually want the QB on the field for that formation 1/2 the time unless you're planning on giving him the ball as a passer. Isn't the whole idea that you go from playing 10 on 11 to playing 11 on 11?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
I don't know why you'd actually want the QB on the field for that formation 1/2 the time unless you're planning on giving him the ball as a passer. Isn't the whole idea that you go from playing 10 on 11 to playing 11 on 11?

QB is a decoy. If he leaves the field of play, teams know what is coming. Thus, he has to line up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
So far, the Wild Cat has only worked for Ronnie Brown and many Madden players...

The formation works wonders in Madden.

Only if you know what you're doing...I've played plenty of guys that try to use the wildcat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
And they don't know what's coming when he's out at WR?

Well, if he runs off the field, the defense can make personnel changes to better match-up with the Wildcat, whereas if the QB stays on the field and they go into the formation coming out of the huddle, the defense is stuck with whatever personnel is on the field.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
As do I. I think the Wildcat will die out rather quickly once guys like Ray Lewis or LaRon Landry injure their star QB spreading out wide.

Miami used the wildcat in two different games against the Ravens last season and no one was destroyed by any defensive player.

At any rate, I think it would be highly unlikely that Ray Lewis as a middle linebacker has anything to do with a QB split out wide at WR. I dont know what the Vikings were doing, but thats not how Miami runs it so maybe they were just trying something new.

The QB also isnt running down the field on a route either, so again, it should be ok. The only time Pennington ever did anything split out wide was go backwards to receive a pitch and then throw the ball.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
dude, the only time QBs ever block is going low like that.. In the middle of the play going through his head was prolly not "Im gonna chop block this guy"

Im not saying hes innocent, just saying that he didn't mean to hurt him and he prolly wasn't intent on doing a chop block. Its just the nature of the type of block hes use to adding in the fact he was split out like a WR. Either way, im not arguing that it wasn't wrong he was just put in a bad situation.

disagree man, if he didn't mean to do it he has something awful in terms of form. He came right down on his knees. That was a really dirty block.

Don't tell me that one of the oldest active QBs with 2 decades of football experience doesn't know how to block or doesn't know that a chop block is physically dangerous. I don't know if he did it on purpose or not, but that's a damn dirty play.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Don't tell me that one of the oldest active QBs with 2 decades of football experience doesn't know how to block or doesn't know that a chop block is physically dangerous. I don't know if he did it on purpose or not, but that's a damn dirty play.

Yeah, I forgot how many times that guy has been split out wide like that.

Thats the nature of the block a QB is taught how to make, I never said it wasn't a dirty play but that Favre was just put into a bad situation.

Although it really doesn't matter to me at all what any of you think about the play anyways so ill leave it at that.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
Yeah, I forgot how many times that guy has been split out wide like that.

Thats the nature of the block a QB is taught how to make, I never said it wasn't a dirty play but that Favre was just put into a bad situation.

Although it really doesn't matter to me at all what any of you think about the play anyways so ill leave it at that.

I've seen Favre make many blocks, and I remember them because Madden whips out his boner when they happen.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
Soxtalk 2009 NFL Pick Em on Yahoo!

This year, using the spread!

Group ID# 43377

password: gaged

Tell a friend.

I'm in.

I played with the WSI people last year. I was SO CLOSE to winning. Ended up finishing third.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
I've seen Favre make many blocks, and I remember them because Madden whips out his boner when they happen.

Exactly, point being how many times has he made those blocks put out like a WR like that.. None, so yes it was a chop block and yes it was a bad choice but nah, I wont completely blame Favre for that one.

And good lord Sean Smith had a NASTY Interception tonight, look up the replay it was one of the best ive ever seen.

It is not a chop block it was an illiegal block below the waist by and outside reciever coming back toward the ball. A chop block is a combination block and is legal at the LOS at the snap.

Either way it was a really bad play.

Ray Lewis can only blow up the QB if he is participating the play. IF at the snap he is just standing there, he can not be hit.

Favre is a douche.

Edited by Jenks Heat