Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Never really understood the argument that a team "running up the score" in the pros deserves to have a player get injured. Do your f***ing job and stop them from scoring.

Because the odds of that team losing the game are so low at that point compared to the odds of injuries happening that it's really a stupid bet. You gain absolutely nothing by having your A team on the field in a 52-0 game, the other team isn't coming back, and if they score 35 in a row then you can put Brady back in. But almost every game there's a player or two who go down with some sort of injury. If you're playing your A team when they don't need to be, you're just asking for one of them to go down.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
And even Bill Bellichick agrees, as he has taken Brady out of the game.

Paid professionals or not, everyone has pride. There's no need to push it any further than it's already gone.

The only reason Brady is out is to protect him from injury. I guarantee you he doesn't care about the Titans pride, which is why he went for it on 4th down just a little while ago. I guarantee you NFL players won't feel any better about themselves because you benched your starters because you felt sorry for them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
The only reason Brady is out is to protect him from injury. I guarantee you he doesn't care about the Titans pride, which is why he went for it on 4th down just a little while ago. I guarantee you NFL players won't feel any better about themselves because you benched your starters because you felt sorry for them.

Oh, I agree. I was agreeing with Balta about Bellichick pulling Brady because the risk of injury isn't worth it.

The comment about pride was in response to the posts about running up the score not being an issue against professionals.

I guess I should have been more specific in my responses. Sorry.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Either way you go, pride or injury, it just doesn't make sense to keep running it up.

What's the potential reward for the very significant risk of keeping your multi-million dollar stars out there?

Never said it would make sense. Just said that I would love to see it and I would have no problem with a professional team doing it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
Come on now. 35-17 Bears in a laugher.

Did you see that 9ers game?

I'm not so sure, but obviously, I think the bears know with the success of the vikings at 6-0 you don't want to lose any games where you are equally matched.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Did you see that 9ers game?

I'm not so sure, but obviously, I think the bears know with the success of the vikings at 6-0 you don't want to lose any games where you are equally matched.

Yes, but we've been over this in this thread. NFL teams can look great in some games and awful in others.

Matt Ryan is 9-1 at home with the one loss coming to Jay Cutler last year. They should have lost another to the Bears, had Lovie not been an idiot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
There's no way the Bills can beat a team with THE Mark Sanchez at QB is there?

Nope.

And folks, right there, that's why Dick Jauron is not a winning NFL coach. You get within difficult field goal range with 1:30 on the clock, you run the ball thrice, call time with 4 seconds on the clock, and you're still facing a 45 yard kick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Nope.

And folks, right there, that's why Dick Jauron is not a winning NFL coach. You get within difficult field goal range with 1:30 on the clock, you run the ball thrice, call time with 4 seconds on the clock, and you're still facing a 45 yard kick.

I thought the Ravens were too conservative as well. They got to about the 27 of the Viqueens with time for at least 1 or 2 more plays and instead ran the ball once, then let the time run down to about 2 seconds before clocking the ball.