Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about something positive here.

Miles Austin is on his way to becoming legit. Mike Jenkins also stepped up today & had a good game. Crayton with a great game. Pass rush was off the hook. Last, but not least...Romo got it in today. That's how you do it. How 'bout them Cowboys?

*raises roof for a Cowboys victory*

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
I completely agree, but is there a more overrated player than Greg Olsen? It might fall on Turner's shoulders, but he's making way less of an impact then I thought he would this year.

Greg Olsen has been overrated since his days in college. He has all the measurables to be a force but he just doesnt make plays for whatever reason.

and can a good team please trade for Stephen Jackson and save him from STL? Watched some of that game today and he has to be the 2nd best running back in the league, just too bad hes stuck on that suckfest of a team, would love to watch him on a good squad

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
the bears got absolutely mauled in the trenches on both sides of the ball....the O line is probably one of the worst i've seen for the bears...its not going to be easy to fix without top draft picks either

pace is ready to retire, Kreutz & Garza are on the tail end of their careers, Omiyale shouldnt even start for the Illini, Williams is the only one that has a future with the team...sucks that Colombo had all those injuries in Chicago, but with no 1st/2nd round picks next year, the line is not gonna get much better soon

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
and can a good team please trade for Stephen Jackson and save him from STL? Watched some of that game today and he has to be the 2nd best running back in the league, just too bad hes stuck on that suckfest of a team, would love to watch him on a good squad

Well, he'd come here and suck. Quietly, the Rams have a great run blocking OL.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
Let's talk about something positive here.

Miles Austin is on his way to becoming legit. Mike Jenkins also stepped up today & had a good game. Crayton with a great game. Pass rush was off the hook. Last, but not least...Romo got it in today. That's how you do it. How 'bout them Cowboys?

*raises roof for a Cowboys victory*

Probably the best win we've had in a while, and it's certainly the best that Romo has looked all season.

Let's hope it's a momentum builder.

I agree with those who think Lovie Smith's message might be starting to fall flat with this team and thus a new coach could be in order soon, but why isn't Jerry Angelo taking more heat? Yes he brought in Jay Cutler, but he didn't fix a single hole on this team other than QB this offseason. Both the offensive and defensive lines are trash, the lack of LB depth is being exposed since there are injuries there, the secondary is a joke, the WR's are a pile of crap that Cutler makes look decent at times, Forte is starting to look like Anthony Thomas 2.0. This team has a major talent deficiency problem, and even though the Cutler move was OBVIOUSLY the right move and maybe Gaines Adams will work out as Adewale's replacement, a team that doesn't draft well at the top of the draft as is and has a lot of holes to fill is missing quite a few draft picks. There aren't enough picks to fix all the holes on this team, and we know not to expect a spending spree in free agency (and those don't always work either). It's a mess right now, the hardest thing to find is a QB and the Bears have a good one, but besides that, so much needs to be fixed. The schedule is favorable for the Bears to put up a decent record, but it's going to be very hard to finish ahead of Green Bay and even harder to catch Minnesota.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
the bears got absolutely mauled in the trenches on both sides of the ball....the O line is probably one of the worst i've seen for the bears...its not going to be easy to fix without top draft picks either

I called this in the Bears (or was it overall NFL) prediction thread before the season started. I didn't like the O-line before the year started. I like it A LOT less now.

Gaines Adams better turn out to be darn good for us b/c I'm beginning to think that 2nd rounder could have been a good spot to take an o-lineman. Actually, now that I think about it, Angelo just would have used the pick on defense anyway, so what the hell...

Neglecting the o-line for all these years has finally bit Jerry in the ass. Makeshift lines for the past 4 years has somehow worked, but not this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
I agree with those who think Lovie Smith's message might be starting to fall flat with this team and thus a new coach could be in order soon, but why isn't Jerry Angelo taking more heat? Yes he brought in Jay Cutler, but he didn't fix a single hole on this team other than QB this offseason. Both the offensive and defensive lines are trash, the lack of LB depth is being exposed since there are injuries there, the secondary is a joke, the WR's are a pile of crap that Cutler makes look decent at times, Forte is starting to look like Anthony Thomas 2.0. This team has a major talent deficiency problem, and even though the Cutler move was OBVIOUSLY the right move and maybe Gaines Adams will work out as Adewale's replacement, a team that doesn't draft well at the top of the draft as is and has a lot of holes to fill is missing quite a few draft picks. There aren't enough picks to fix all the holes on this team, and we know not to expect a spending spree in free agency (and those don't always work either). It's a mess right now, the hardest thing to find is a QB and the Bears have a good one, but besides that, so much needs to be fixed. The schedule is favorable for the Bears to put up a decent record, but it's going to be very hard to finish ahead of Green Bay and even harder to catch Minnesota.

I don't know how you could call Forte Thomas Jones 2.0 after you just pointed out how bad the O-line is, especially after seeing the former suckfest that was Cedric Benson destroy the Bears D behind good run blocking he didn't have in Chicago.

There's still free agency for the OL. The last good line the Bears had (2006) was made mostly of free agents. It's less than ideal because it's expensive, but it's not at all impossible to fix an offensive line in a relatively short amount of time. Just replacing Omiyale and Kreutz (yes, Kreutz sucks now) with average talent is a big improvement.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)

My response to this would be how would you expect to fill all of those holes that you've mentioned in 1 off-season?

From an outsider's point of view, when the Bears were a real succesful team, it was because of their defense and especially the strength of their defensive line. I think the Bears D-Line is still probably in the upper echelon in the NFL especially when you compare it to other teams, but they haven't lived up to potential so far. That says more about the coaching IMO.

I still think they really miss Ron Rivera for all of the heat that he got in the end, because they certainly haven't been the same since Babich took over.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
There's still free agency for the OL. The last good line the Bears had (2006) was made mostly of free agents. It's less than ideal because it's expensive, but it's not at all impossible to fix an offensive line in a relatively short amount of time. Just replacing Omiyale and Kreutz (yes, Kreutz sucks now) with average talent is a big improvement.

Are there any top notch lineman hitting FA this off-season FWIW?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Are there any top notch lineman hitting FA this off-season FWIW?

No, but none of the OLs the Bears had were top-notch either (Ruben Brown used to be, but not when he was with the Bears). Basically, don't sign FAs like Frank Omiyale.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
My response to this would be how would you expect to fill all of those holes that you've mentioned in 1 off-season?

From an outsider's point of view, when the Bears were a real succesful team, it was because of their defense and especially the strength of their defensive line. I think the Bears D-Line is still probably in the upper echelon in the NFL especially when you compare it to other teams, but they haven't lived up to potential so far. That says more about the coaching IMO.

I still think they really miss Ron Rivera for all of the heat that he got in the end, because they certainly haven't been the same since Babich took over.

Rivera is nothing special in San Diego, either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
Rivera is nothing special in San Diego, either.

That's got more to do with injuries than anything else I'd argue.

They rely so much on Jamal Williams, and he's out for the season, while Merriman's a shadow of what he used to be. You lose that kind of production in your front seven, it's going to hurt your whole defense obviously.

They're pretty much the same as the Bears defensively this season though FWIW.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
No, but none of the OLs the Bears had were top-notch either (Ruben Brown used to be, but not when he was with the Bears). Basically, don't sign FAs like Frank Omiyale.

The Bears need to sign a Kyle Kosier type of FA for their LG spot come the off-season.

The Cowboys got him from the Lions about 3 seasons back on a 15/5 deal, and when he missed some time and Corey Proctor had to play, you could see how much of a difference that made up front.

And all of the teams that are doing well now, e.g Denver, Indianapolis, Atlanta they are successful because of their great O-Lines and that they allow for Ryan, Manning and Orton to make plays.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
Jebus, fwiw, dbaho, i've always been supremely impressed with how knowledgeable you are about things happening a hemisphere away. You are truly a model for me.

Eh I do my best.

The Bears season is still salvagable obviously. They just need to get on a run, and they've got time to do that. And they should get better offensively as the season goes along as Cutler gets more in sync with this offense, and Forte can only get better. Defensively, if they can get Adams worked into the rotation, and get some stability back at the LB spot, then they should pick up there also, but all in all, they need to stay healthy to get back into it, as they have the talent to compete for a wildcard spot still.

Hell as a Cowboys fans, I should be brimming with confidence after beating a top 5 team yesterday, but it doesn't mean jack what we do in the first 12 games of the season, because of our terrible record down the stretch which has cost us so damn much over the past couple of seasons.