Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
That was so enjoyable to watch this team actually play like we expected at the beginning. The worst move of the offseason was obviously Orlando Pace. Now that Chris Williams is getting comfortable in his natural LT position, he's actually looking like a first rouner. Jared Allen got nothing done against him.

Bingo

Let me chime in once again with what i think is wrong with this team.....Lovie Smith.....early in the game the defense was changing up prior to the snap and making stops...second half.....pattened cover two......Lovie is not able to coach a football team and call the defense. I understand Cutler may have injured his hand but call timeout and evaluate the situation.

When Lovie was given the contract extension and allowed a say in personnel decisions what we got were the Adam Archuletta and Orlando Pace's of the world. Maybe Pace was brought in becasue of the retirement of...ah I forget his name....but Shaffer and Omiyale are tackles. This team is not missing Orlando Pace. Chris Williams did a great job. This team needs a good left guard and I think the O-line and offense will be fine.

The development of players in the NFL does not happen and I am not sure if this is Lovie his staff or who....Josh Bullocks could be the worst football player I have ever seen. The fact that Armoashadu and Bell were not allowed on the field until they ran out of players is really sad and a further indication of this staff being unable to groom and evaluate talent. I do not know what role Jerry Angelo plays in this. Cedric Benson, Marc Columbo and Chris Harris are three players that could really help the Bears. These are guys that Angelo brought in and for various reasons did not work out. I still think Angelo can eveluate talent, it happened before Lovie took over and I am not certain why it has fallen apart except that Lovie is having a say in things.

I am not saying that getting rid of those guys were not the proper move (not sure why Harris was let go) it was but I think Angelo can get the talent, it is the ability of the coaches to make them into NFL players that is the issue.

I liked..no loved... the win last night. The ESPN guys are typical ESPN s***. Too bad Shineco was not in there, that is a quote from those morons.....Ya too bad Tillman was not in there to knock down the 4th down pass to Rice, or Knox to run back the kick with 20 seconds left. It truly was a sickening display of cub broadcasting at its finest. I like the win mostly because of the ESPN praise of Favre and if the Eagles win next week, the Vikqueens will have to go to Philly if they win the first round game. For some reason I am pulling really hard for McNabb.......

Is there a chance the Vikqueens can play the Packers in the first round????????

Edited by Jenks Heat

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
With Knox, Bennett, and Manning returning kicks and the emergence of Aromodoshu (sp?), Hester is very expendable in the off season.

I've been saying it all along. Trade Hester. Toub is great and Hester wasn't the first nor will he be the last good returnman the Bears have if Toub sticks around. Manning is dynomite and Knox ain't too shabby himself.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Zachary Bowman, they don't get much easier than that. Too bad this wasn't training camp, he would have made the pick then.

Bowman has actually gotten better as the season has progressed, albeit, he should have that and if he does the game doesn't go to OT. That said, I want our D to suck because it makes Lovie look bad. If we were going to win, I wanted to win because of Jay and our young players and we really did today.

And with Devin Arashamandamananana making some huge plays for us, it is yet another point for Angelo to say hey, the talent is there, the coaches just don't know how to use/develop it properly.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Did Jared Allen play tonight? F*cking redneck

Chris Williams had himself a game. The guy is a great athlete and is starting to show why he was the 14th overall selection. The future, with a veteran WR, for the offensive skill players is pretty bright. I b**** and moan about there in-experience but the talent level is there with Bennett/Knox/DA. We just need to get a quality veteran in house as well. The rookie mistakes will go away in time too.

But man they were killer during the season. Stopped routes, wrong routes, etc.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Well that's not checking DOWN, but yeah, point remains.

It is being reported that Cutler and Turner have had a ton of battles during the season regarding the play-calling. Doesn't shock me we saw Jay play well. It was one of the only games he has had solid protection more often than not and he was able to get outside of the pocket where he excels.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Chris Williams had himself a game. The guy is a great athlete and is starting to show why he was the 14th overall selection. The future, with a veteran WR, for the offensive skill players is pretty bright. I b**** and moan about there in-experience but the talent level is there with Bennett/Knox/DA. We just need to get a quality veteran in house as well. The rookie mistakes will go away in time too.

But man they were killer during the season. Stopped routes, wrong routes, etc.

A Vincent Jackson on one side, DA on the other, with Knox/whatever as a 3rd down receiver/kick returner.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 06:44 AM)
I liked Lovie not calling his TO's there. He was riding it on his defense, and with Cutler's propensity to throw picks, I'd rather take my chances on the D stopping them on 4th and goal than on Cutler running the :45 drill.

I'm going to say no, because our D didn't stop anyone in the 2nd half. Which is pretty typical. Our defense sucks and the defensive failures, combined with the poor clock management, poor using of challenges, inability to play the proper players, get any development, etc,etc, etc is why Lovie needs to go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
It's a testament as to how good of a running back he is that he can fumble so much, yet still get the ball 20+times a game, no questions asked. 95% of the RBs in the league would be out a job if they fumbled as much as him.

Chester Taylor is pretty freaking good too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
I've been saying it all along. Trade Hester. Toub is great and Hester wasn't the first nor will he be the last good returnman the Bears have if Toub sticks around. Manning is dynomite and Knox ain't too shabby himself.

Manning will never be anything more than a nickel back and therefore is perfect to replace Hester who seems to have lost the desire to return kicks.

I think Hester has zero trade value as he will never be a reciever and Toub can be credtied with making him a returner. Bennett, Manning and Knox have looked good and we may never see the 2006 Hester again.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Manning will never be anything more than a nickel back and therefore is perfect to replace Hester who seems to have lost the desire to return kicks.

I think Hester has zero trade value as he will never be a reciever and Toub can be credtied with making him a returner. Bennett, Manning and Knox have looked good and we may never see the 2006 Hester again.

You could get a 3rd for Hester no problem.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Anybody else hear Jaws say 22 of 25 Cutler's INTS were Jay's fault??? I know I may be a bit of a Cutler apologist, but I could swear there were more than 3 that were either on the receiver, somebody slipped, or no PI call...

I'd say at least 5 weren't his fault. A more liberal estimate would be 7-8. If that was the case, he'd have 18-19 picks this year, nothing too high above his career norm.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
A Vincent Jackson on one side, DA on the other, with Knox/whatever as a 3rd down receiver/kick returner.

It's funny that you bring up Vincent Jackson here, because I think he's exactly the guy the Bears should keep in mind when looking at the guys they currently have. Look at Jackson's catches per year:

It took him 3-4 years before he turned into a legitimate receiving threat and basically until this season where he would qualify as a #1ish, go-to type receiver. And that was with Rivers as QB, Tomlinson in the backfield, Gates and others also on the team, and that great Offensive talent developer Norv Turner as his coach. That's the kind of patience the Bears need to show with some of these guys.

All of you giving Dave Toub credit for Hester's return abilities his first 2 season are absolutely insane and delirious. The guy was the best return man in the world at Miami and he brought his skills to the NFL. Give me a break.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
All of you giving Dave Toub credit for Hester's return abilities his first 2 season are absolutely insane and delirious. The guy was the best return man in the world at Miami and he brought his skills to the NFL. Give me a break.

So Hester has the tools, but you can't deny that the Bears have essentially replaced him (thanks to the system) with 2-3 guys that have been better than average at returning punts and kickoffs. At this point Hester is expendable. If they can get a 2nd round pick, or maybe a couple of 3rds, I'd say do it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
The development of players in the NFL does not happen and I am not sure if this is Lovie his staff or who....Josh Bullocks could be the worst football player I have ever seen. The fact that Armoashadu and Bell were not allowed on the field until they ran out of players is really sad and a further indication of this staff being unable to groom and evaluate talent. I do not know what role Jerry Angelo plays in this. Cedric Benson, Marc Columbo and Chris Harris are three players that could really help the Bears. These are guys that Angelo brought in and for various reasons did not work out. I still think Angelo can eveluate talent, it happened before Lovie took over and I am not certain why it has fallen apart except that Lovie is having a say in things.

Lovie got a lot more say in personnel decisions after his extension, he is basically a co-GM. If you want to lay a lot of the roster management at his feet that's probably appropriate.

Chris Harris for the record would be a totally different player in Chicago IMO... he plays in a different scheme in Carolina. He's better than the safeties we have out there right now but I think people liked him in Chicago because he hit guys hard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
It is being reported that Cutler and Turner have had a ton of battles during the season regarding the play-calling. Doesn't shock me we saw Jay play well. It was one of the only games he has had solid protection more often than not and he was able to get outside of the pocket where he excels.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me at all, you could read Cutler's body language a lot of times and you could tell he wasn't running the plays he wanted to run.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
So Hester has the tools, but you can't deny that the Bears have essentially replaced him (thanks to the system) with 2-3 guys that have been better than average at returning punts and kickoffs. At this point Hester is expendable. If they can get a 2nd round pick, or maybe a couple of 3rds, I'd say do it.

I would say that Hester in 2006-2007 (more 2007 since he did a lot of dumb rookie s*** in 2006) is far better than Bennett, Knox, or Manning, but Toub has a really great system going where basically any fast guy is explosive. Not to where opposing special teams coaches s*** themselves before games or anything and have to puss out by kicking the ball away from the return guy, but enough to break off the occasional TD, and a couple of long returns a game.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
I would say that Hester in 2006-2007 (more 2007 since he did a lot of dumb rookie s*** in 2006) is far better than Bennett, Knox, or Manning, but Toub has a really great system going where basically any fast guy is explosive. Not to where opposing special teams coaches s*** themselves before games or anything and have to puss out by kicking the ball away from the return guy, but enough to break off the occasional TD, and a couple of long returns a game.

Remember that before Hester we also had some pretty explosive return-men. Azumah was lethal, Vasher was above average. Hester was the best, but these other guys were amongst the best in the league as well. Devin isn't the only probowl return man Toub has had.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Remember that before Hester we also had some pretty explosive return-men. Azumah was lethal, Vasher was above average. Hester was the best, but these other guys were amongst the best in the league as well. Devin isn't the only probowl return man Toub has had.

...and then there was Wade :puke: