Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
TO was dealt for a 2nd round pick, but at the same time, there were somewhat more complex issues. For example, he was attempting to be declared a free agent and was challenging things in court...beyond just the personality problems.

Yes, he was eventually traded for a 5th rounder (to appease Baltimore) and Brandon Whiting (for some compensation to San Fran), and there were a ton of circumstances surrounding that anyways (specifically his agent not filing the papers to make him a free agent).

I'm just stating, his value on the market to atleast one team was a 2nd round pick, and he was a fantastic receiver. The Bears are going to be very hard pressed to get that much value out of Devin Hester .

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Yes, he was eventually traded for a 5th rounder (to appease Baltimore) and Brandon Whiting (for some compensation to San Fran), and there were a ton of circumstances surrounding that anyways (specifically his agent not filing the papers to make him a free agent).

I'm just stating, his value on the market to atleast one team was a 2nd round pick, and he was a fantastic receiver. The Bears are going to be very hard pressed to get that much value out of Devin Hester .

My point that I was trying to make in reply is...yes, the Ravens were willing to give up a 2nd rounder, but they made that deal while already knowing there could be serious issues...the 2nd rounder wasn't a priceless piece they'd never give up, they gambled it on working things out.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
What the Colts did last week was one of the most gutless things I've ever seen in professional sports. And Angry Sideline Peyton Manning would tell you the same thing.

Its SO gutless to do what you think gives your team the best chance to win the Super Bowl in the next month. Isnt that the job of the coach/GM?

I know it is the easy thing to say about the Colts, but the other side of the story is if Peyton Manning blows out his knee in a meaningless game, the coach would be strung up. I know the odds are slim of that happening, but what were the odds of Brian Urlacher sustaining a season ending injury in the first half of the first game of this year? Stuff happens. Football is a violent game full of contact and injuries.

The decision isn't gutless, but it is too pre-cautious for my taste. There are only a few teams who are lucky enough to make a run at a perfect season. In fact I would say that a perfect season is the single most important record that exists in the NFL. The NFL doesn't cherish stats and numbers the same way that MLB does, but the perfect season is really the only thing (maybe along with the single season td passing record) that fans and the league seem to cherish.

I understand that going 16-0 doesn't mean anything if Peyton Manning blows out his knee and they lose their first playoff game, but I think there are certain (very few) situations where you assume that kind of risk. In my opinion, I would have kept my guys in and gone for history. There is something very special about going undefeated and if you can do it you enshrine your organization as the only team to ever go 19-0. That would have been worth it to me and I would have been upset if Lovie pulled Cutler in a similar situation (wouldn't that be a nice problem to have). That being said, I understand why Polian and Caldwell did what they did. They are completely fixated on winning the SB and they should be. They obviously don't share my opinion about the perfect season and if they win the superbowl the decision to pull the starters in game 15 will be a footnote.

Oh well.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
The decision isn't gutless, but it is too pre-cautious for my taste. There are only a few teams who are lucky enough to make a run at a perfect season. In fact I would say that a perfect season is the single most important record that exists in the NFL. The NFL doesn't cherish stats and numbers the same way that MLB does, but the perfect season is really the only thing (maybe along with the single season td passing record) that fans and the league seem to cherish.

I understand that going 16-0 doesn't mean anything if Peyton Manning blows out his knee and they lose their first playoff game, but I think there are certain (very few) situations where you assume that kind of risk. In my opinion, I would have kept my guys in and gone for history. There is something very special about going undefeated and if you can do it you enshrine your organization as the only team to ever go 19-0. That would have been worth it to me and I would have been upset if Lovie pulled Cutler in a similar situation (wouldn't that be a nice problem to have). That being said, I understand why Polian and Caldwell did what they did. They are completely fixated on winning the SB and they should be. They obviously don't share my opinion about the perfect season and if they win the superbowl the decision to pull the starters in game 15 will be a footnote.

Oh well.

Actually, if they do go 15-1 (and they should, considering the Bills are awful) and then win the Super Bowl, I think they'll be scrutinized more for pulling their starters in game 15 rather than it becoming a footnote with the thought being that they were basically one half of football away where they pulled their starters away from being a perfect 19-0.

I don't think they'll get anywhere near the Super Bowl, but it's just my take on the whole matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I know it is the easy thing to say about the Colts, but the other side of the story is if Peyton Manning blows out his knee in a meaningless game, the coach would be strung up. I know the odds are slim of that happening, but what were the odds of Brian Urlacher sustaining a season ending injury in the first half of the first game of this year? Stuff happens. Football is a violent game full of contact and injuries.

He wouldn't get hurt in practice? I think when you play things too cautiously is when you start hurting yourself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
What big injuries have happened this year in practices?

How about ever?

I can hardly think of any big injuries that have happened in practice..

Its been done before, it will be done again. Coaches with teams that are cruising into the playoffs routinely sit players to make sure nothing happens to them en route to the playoffs. Unfortunately for the Colts, it cost them their undefeated season

Today is the first Sunday I am not working in about 5 months. Watching NFL Sunday on FOX. Can Frank Caliendo go away?

Impressions are ok if you do new ones every once in awhile. His Madden was good at first but is old now like his other stuff.

Shanahan could be named Skin coach tomorrow or later in teh week.

Bucs staff has been told they will all be back next year.

I've said it plenty of times, I only fire Lovie if we hire Cowher.