Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

I have calmed down after being angry, and here's some quick thoughts:

Pros:

Cutler- Played well again, made two mistakes that ended being INT's but if it wasn't for him there would be no 4th and [1 or 6] that far into Falcons territory. Him and Knox hve been the best players on this team all year, that was a great trade.

The Receivers- Are a really strong unit, all the doubts about them at the beginning of the year are gone. Bennett, Hester, Olsen, Knox, Clark and Forte have all been playing well in the receiving game.

Charles Tillman- Might be having his best season so far, teams dont even bother throwing near him and he's been rock solid as a tackler.

Tommie Harris- Is he getting some of his swagger back?

Garrett Wolfe- Laid down the meanest block ever.

Cons:

Interior OL- Just terrible, the Falcons got whatever they wanted up the middle.

Forte- Two fumbles in back-to-back plays, judging by his track record though I'm thinking that was a fluke.

Everything I didn't mention in Pros- A lot of people played poorly. Lots.

We have two good receiving TE's, two good deep threats, two good RB's in the passing game and Jay Cutler. No more "we are a running team", just ditch that whole facade. The passing game has to open up, because running the ball with those interior three guys we have is just wasting downs.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
We have two good receiving TE's, two good deep threats, two good RB's in the passing game and Jay Cutler. No more "we are a running team", just ditch that whole facade. The passing game has to open up, because running the ball with those interior three guys we have is just wasting downs.

They already have, the pass-run ratio is like 60/40. They pay lip service to the running game, that's about it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
They already have, the pass-run ratio is like 60/40. They pay lip service to the running game, that's about it.

The play calling in the passing game should be adjusted then. Right now, we are still play calling a passing game designed to be complimented by a strong running game.

May as well start calling the passing game for what it is - most of our offense - and the phase of our offense that will have to cover the other, somewhat like the Cardinals and Saints passing games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
The play calling in the passing game should be adjusted then. Right now, we are still play calling a passing game designed to be complimented by a strong running game.

May as well start calling the passing game for what it is - most of our offense - and the phase of our offense that will have to cover the other, somewhat like the Cardinals and Saints passing games.

I actually don't have any complaints in the pass plays that are being called because it's working. The offense would be dangerous if we actually had a running game, not just with runs to support the pass game but also to allow Cutler to use play action (have we seen that AT ALL this year?).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I actually don't have any complaints in the pass plays that are being called because it's working. The offense would be dangerous if we actually had a running game, not just with runs to support the pass game but also to allow Cutler to use play action (have we seen that AT ALL this year?).

We went play action a lot towards the end of the game last night. I don't know if it actually worked, but Cutler was at least going through the motions and doing it.

Do you realize how many third and longs we had yesterday though? And even though Cutler was like 8-11 or something on 3rd downs, we only converted a few of them. That problem is because we can't run the ball, nor do we have enough plays in our playbook designed to get 10 + yards. I really think we have the perfect wideouts and tight ends to run a more aggressive pass offense, it's just a question of being able to do it at this point in the season.

Hopefully, our running game will appear suddenly and make this all a moot point, but we certainly have the weapons (especially the qb) to be able to install a more high-octane offense if we need to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
We went play action a lot towards the end of the game last night. I don't know if it actually worked, but Cutler was at least going through the motions and doing it.

Do you realize how many third and longs we had yesterday though? And even though Cutler was like 8-11 or something on 3rd downs, we only converted a few of them. That problem is because we can't run the ball, nor do we have enough plays in our playbook designed to get 10 + yards. I really think we have the perfect wideouts and tight ends to run a more aggressive pass offense, it's just a question of being able to do it at this point in the season.

Hopefully, our running game will appear suddenly and make this all a moot point, but we certainly have the weapons (especially the qb) to be able to install a more high-octane offense if we need to.

Yeah, I'm acutely aware of the 3rd and longs, that's part of my burning hatred for Frank Omiyale.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I think they need to run Wolfe up the middle on first more often. It's bound to work eventually!

It's like watching Gary Coleman trying to run through a brick wall.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Wolfe is a deceptively good blocker. I don't know how, but he gets it done. The problem with having Wolfe on this team is Ron Turner just not knowing what the f*** to do.

And that is pretty unacceptable, considering how many other templates there are around the league every single week, for the past several years now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
And that is pretty unacceptable, considering how many other templates there are around the league every single week, for the past several years now.

It's really not rocket science. Small, quick running back -> run outside + sweep + short passes in open space.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
It's really not rocket science. Small, quick running back -> run outside + sweep + short passes in open space.

Which is even more pathetic, considering they drafted him for this very niche in the offense.

As for the O-Line, it seems we have always been brutal on sweeps. And that has been made even more glaring when we see how well the Packers have done it over the last several decades.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Ron Turner is a bad offensive coordinator. Im pretty sure many 14 year olds with a few games of Madden experience could call a better game.

I think he's called some decent games, it's just that the inability of the running game to produce anything has caught him off guard from what we did well last year. Hopefully he will continue to make adjustments.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
I loved Derrick Johnson when he was coming out in the draft. How has he done for KC? I'd be all for it, but we have like zero picks left. Can he play MLB or is he going to play at the weakside position?

He hasn't produced the way Kansas City hoped he would but the organization itself has done a poor job for the past few years. Some call Johnson a bust but that seems a little excessive considering the defensive line has been terrible since he arrived (besides Jared Allen.) I think a change in scenery would do him good.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
He hasn't produced the way Kansas City hoped he would but the organization itself has done a poor job for the past few years. Some call Johnson a bust but that seems a little excessive considering the defensive line has been terrible since he arrived (besides Jared Allen.) I think a change in scenery would do him good.

Would the Chiefs consider an Iglesias for Johnson trade? Iglesias was our 3rd round pick this year and is a WR from OU.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
Would the Chiefs consider an Iglesias for Johnson trade? Iglesias was our 3rd round pick this year and is a WR from OU.

Last I knew they were mostly looking for an offensive lineman. I'm sure they'd go for a draft pick too. An Iglesias/Johnson deal could be a win for both sides though. If I was in charge, I'd take Iglesias, it'd give Cassel another option to go with Bowe, Wade, and Bradley. Haley eventually wants to get the Chiefs to be like the Cardinals offense.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)

Turner could be a lazy ass OC and just lift a few plays from the Chargers/Sproles playbook.