Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Absolutely, and that's been a strategy that has really hurt him quite a bit. That doesn't apply in this case though since this move was a no brainer. If you are going to give that much up for a guy who you think is a franchise QB, you keep him around for the rest of his career.

??

Not really, keeps the cap under control, keeps players off the FA market and from having their cap numbers inflate. Harris got hurt, so that can be overlooked. The only one that really backfired bad was Vasher, who was decent when he signed his extension but blew fat cock ever since. Kreutz has declined too but it was hard to argue with his extension at the time. Hid that with Urlacher, Alex Brown, Tillman, Gould, Clark, Orton, tried it with Briggs, didn't work, but Briggs ended up playing himself. Kreutz isn't playing up to his contract but you couldn't argue with the extension at the time when he was an All-Pro center.

I don't see how extending contracts of players that have proven themselves in your system is more risky than giving random contracts.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
??

Not really, keeps the cap under control, keeps players off the FA market and from having their cap numbers inflate. Harris got hurt, so that can be overlooked. The only one that really backfired bad was Vasher, who was decent when he signed his extension but blew fat cock ever since. Kreutz has declined too but it was hard to argue with his extension at the time. Hid that with Urlacher, Alex Brown, Tillman, Gould, Clark, Orton, tried it with Briggs, didn't work, but Briggs ended up playing himself. Kreutz isn't playing up to his contract but you couldn't argue with the extension at the time when he was an All-Pro center.

I don't see how extending contracts of players that have proven themselves in your system is more risky than giving random contracts.

The defense is old, expensive, and not very good. That's who I have in mind when I rip the giving out new money to current players like it's candy strategy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
The defense is old, expensive, and not very good. That's who I have in mind when I rip the giving out new money to current players like it's candy strategy.

The bonus money is paid early so they don't have to hang onto the s***ty players for that long if they don't want to. Out of the defense, the only one that I'd be looking at that's overpaid and has to go is Vasher. But it's not like you can just arbitrarily replace these guys, unless you draft them you have to find them in FA and that costs even more and leads to the same problems.

I 100% legitimately have my roommate convinced that there was a specific reason for choosing the teams for the game in London and it was to showcase to the rest of the world what the US (Patriots) will do if threatened by Pirates (Buccs) in real life because they knew the Patriots are going to kick the s*** out of the Buccs in the game.

He is currently searching online to see if its true. I wish I had been recording this because it was gold.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
I 100% legitimately have my roommate convinced that there was a specific reason for choosing the teams for the game in London and it was to showcase to the rest of the world what the US (Patriots) will do if threatened by Pirates (Buccs) in real life because they knew the Patriots are going to kick the s*** out of the Buccs in the game.

He is currently searching online to see if its true. I wish I had been recording this because it was gold.

Is your roommate 7 years old?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Not really, keeps the cap under control, keeps players off the FA market and from having their cap numbers inflate. Harris got hurt, so that can be overlooked.

Harris was hurt before he got his extension.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
Harris was hurt before he got his extension.

I think you're right. I don't think they anticipated him falling completely off like that though. He's only just started to not look like s*** anymore.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Well it is still 4 more years after this one, right? A lot can happen in 4 years...

Because of the style of NFL contracts, there is no downside to a 7-10 year contract. The longer you can wrap up a guy like Jay Cutler, the better.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)

does your roomate have a smoking problem?

Packers sign Ahman Green eh.

Hopefully the guy has something left, sick of watching Wynn and Jackson's useless production when they spell Grant. This is definitely the week to find out vs. the Browns, if he can be any help at all in subbing in for Grant or receiving out of the backfield then he should help bolster the run game some.

Adding him surely can't hurt what is already a terrible ground game.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Tinoisamoa is done for the year.

He was good for the 15 or so plays he was on the field for this year.

he did look good the few minutes he was out there. Would be way more confident in the Bears with a Urlacher/Briggs/Tinoisamoa LB core, instead of the Briggs/Roach/Hillenmeyer group playing now..

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
he did look good the few minutes he was out there. Would be way more confident in the Bears with a Urlacher/Briggs/Tinoisamoa LB core, instead of the Briggs/Roach/Hillenmeyer group playing now..

Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a lifesaver!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Yeah, Harris has been a bust all-around...he simply never returned to the player he was before the injury. Merriman seems to be having the same experience in San Diego.

To defend him...it's gonna take a long time to get back to the explosiveness a DT needs when you have a knee injury like that.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
To defend him...it's gonna take a long time to get back to the explosiveness a DT needs when you have a knee injury like that.

I think it was the hamstring tear off the bone more than the knee injury that has reduced Harris to mere mortal status