Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Its a combination of a few things. Tight area. Our receivers are horrible at making plays. Hit them in the break basket on a slant, sure. Make a decision on their own. f*** that. Olsen for all of his talent can't get open. Bad line puts lots of pressure on QB.

Crappy Line + receivers who can't catch or run routes or get open + small area + QB who knows he is the only one that can make the play = bad red zone execution.

+ Bad decision-making by him. Sure, he's good and there's really nothing else to do end-of-game. But across the year, he's forced it down there in game situations where it wasn't necessary. Take the 3 sometimes.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Its a combination of a few things. Tight area. Our receivers are horrible at making plays. Hit them in the break basket on a slant, sure. Make a decision on their own. f*** that. Olsen for all of his talent can't get open. Bad line puts lots of pressure on QB.

Crappy Line + receivers who can't catch or run routes or get open + small area + QB who knows he is the only one that can make the play = bad red zone execution.

The receivers have to give Cutler something to hit. The problem is Jay refuses to give up on a play.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Ugh, Cutler sorta struggles on National Television (if you consider this game that). Just a terrible game for Cutler.

He's terrible on night games especially. The day/night comparison of Cutler is scary to look at statistically. BTW.. the O-Line can go f*** themselves, and Turner.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
The 5th INT was just a piss poor throw by Cutler. so 2 INTs on the night basically.

Agreed. In fact, most shouldn't make excuses for Jay in the red zone. About 65% of the turnovers are on him (the rest.. bad jobs by WR/TE/Olin Kruntz with his s***ty snaps). He's had more INTs in the red zone this year than Tom Brady has in his entire career. That is crazy to think about.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
It sucks cause I really like Cutler, I hated Orton...yet I can't stand Cutler's decision making and thought his body language after the first pick was disgusting.

The one where Hester fell down? I am sure he misses the line he had in Denver. And the receivers who actually can get open and run routes and catch the ball.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
+ Bad decision-making by him. Sure, he's good and there's really nothing else to do end-of-game. But across the year, he's forced it down there in game situations where it wasn't necessary. Take the 3 sometimes.

With essentially no time on the clock, you try to make a play. It was a hail mary from 12 yards out.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:30 AM)
The one where Hester fell down? I am sure he misses the line he had in Denver. And the receivers who actually can get open and run routes and catch the ball.

Sorry, I meant the one in the end zone. I will say that Cutler is amazing at escaping pressure in the pocket.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)

But he's not quarterbacking Denver, is he? Deal with what you have in front of you.

No question, this team sucks, and Cutler's about 46th on the list of what's wrong. But c'mon; let's not pretend he hasn't made some bad judgments, no matter what the reason.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
But he's not quarterbacking Denver, is he? Deal with what you have in front of you.

No question, this team sucks, and Cutler's about 46th on the list of what's wrong. But c'mon; let's not pretend he hasn't made some bad judgments, no matter what the reason.

Cutler f***ed up. He threw 2 picks that were on him. Sorry if I don't blame Cutler for Hester falling down. Or Davis getting bumped out of the play. Or Hester stopping on the check down. Cutler did f*** up. But his band of morons around him have something to do with the level of play. Its not like he forgot how to play QB when he came here. He is a pro-bowl QB who happens to be on a high school talented squad.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
Cutler f***ed up. He threw 2 picks that were on him. Sorry if I don't blame Cutler for Hester falling down. Or Davis getting bumped out of the play. Or Hester stopping on the check down. Cutler did f*** up. But his band of morons around him have something to do with the level of play. Its not like he forgot how to play QB when he came here. He is a pro-bowl QB who happens to be on a high school talented squad.

People can't seem to get past that unfortunately. The entire team sucks, yet it somehow all falls on Cutler. Sad stuff.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)

It actually angers me watching how sloppy the Bears receivers are at running routes. It is one thing not to be the most talented guy in the world but at least be clean coming out of your breaks and help your QB out once in a while. Cutler played a bad game tonight but 2 of those interceptions had nothing at all to do with him and I'm not sure a WR has made a play to help him out this entire season. Plus Chris Williams is just embarrassing to watch play right tackle and the rest of the O-Line is horrible as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
It actually angers me watching how sloppy the Bears receivers are at running routes. It is one thing not to be the most talented guy in the world but at least be clean coming out of your breaks and help your QB out once in a while. Cutler played a bad game tonight but 2 of those interceptions had nothing at all to do with him and I'm not sure a WR has made a play to help him out this entire season. Plus Chris Williams is just embarrassing to watch play right tackle and the rest of the O-Line is horrible as well.

Basically for 4 quarter Cutler is running for his life. He doesn't get to sit back like other QBs and make decisions and pick up secondaries and check downs. The ball is snapped usually badly, the pocket immediately collapses around him because the DEs have a direct line to him. If he is lucky enough to step through it then he picks up his receivers and hopes to god that they remember what he called. You know that playbook is pretty long. Then he throws it and prays to god that the receiver looks back, attempts to catch it and doesn't get scared of the hit or makes up his own route ala Madden 10. I am surpised that he is alive at this point.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
People can't seem to get past that unfortunately. The entire team sucks, yet it somehow all falls on Cutler. Sad stuff.

No. That's just the point. It doesn't "all" fall on Cutler. But for some folks, none of it falls on Cutler.

I GET that Cutler has talent. I GET that he's way down the list of problems. Turner is a dope. Angelo built the worst offensive line in the league. Forte looks slow. And the receivers are inexperienced and not so good. I don't even like Kyle Orton, unlike some wackos who make it all about him. What I'm pointing out is something different -- a very weird excuse-everything-Cutler-does mentality that has started to creep into these discussions about the Bears. He's the quarterback, and he's turned it over a lot. And some of those -- yes -- are his fault. His fault.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
Basically for 4 quarter Cutler is running for his life. He doesn't get to sit back like other QBs and make decisions and pick up secondaries and check downs. The ball is snapped usually badly, the pocket immediately collapses around him because the DEs have a direct line to him. If he is lucky enough to step through it then he picks up his receivers and hopes to god that they remember what he called. You know that playbook is pretty long. Then he throws it and prays to god that the receiver looks back, attempts to catch it and doesn't get scared of the hit or makes up his own route ala Madden 10. I am surpised that he is alive at this point.

Speaking of the receivers not knowing the plays or how to line up, it seriously seems like the Bears take longer to snap the ball to spike it then other teams because Cutler has to double check to make sure people are lined up properly.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:49 AM)
No. That's just the point. It doesn't "all" fall on Cutler. But for some folks, none of it falls on Cutler.

I GET that Cutler has talent. I GET that he's way down the list of problems. Turner is a dope. Angelo built the worst offensive line in the league. Forte looks slow. And the receivers are inexperienced and not so good. I don't even like Kyle Orton, unlike some wackos who make it all about him. What I'm pointing out is something different -- a very weird excuse-everything-Cutler-does mentality that has started to creep into these discussions about the Bears. He's the quarterback, and he's turned it over a lot. And some of those -- yes -- are his fault. His fault.

This is a perfect post, thanks FoN!

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)

Of course some of the turnovers are his fault. But he is also clearly forcing throws in part because the rest of the team is so bad that he feels he has to make big plays all the time.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
I agree. It would be great if we could all agree on that. But I don't think we do.

I think actually most do. I think people jumping to his side is seeing how poor of a crappy team we have around him. Its sad to waste this talent on this crap. And is also a reaction to being hit with morons calling the radio station since the beginning of the season lamenting the all powerful Kyle "Where is my Beer" Orton. Like we would be superbowl bound if that guy was still around. Cutler is probably putting the entire thing on his back and trying to make it happen. He sees the crap we have on this team. A little more time with the line, and maybe a receiver or two that knows how to complete a route and I think things look better.