Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
If you can't see the difference between Cutler and Grossman's situation, then frankly I can't help you, nor do I have any interest in trying to do so.

Lol, likewise. I guess "stats" and "history" don't mean much.

Look, at the end of the day he's physically a better QB. He's taller, he's more agile, he's got a better arm, he's more accurate, blah blah. But I dunno how you can discount the similarities - both make awful decisions (generally at the worst possible times) and they have great games followed by horrible games.

The view people have on this board that he's only playing this way because the offense (and team) is awful is just a fantasy. It's not based on fact. Even when he's had great weapons around him he still makes really bad decisions and turns the ball over a lot. He needs a good coach to rid him of those problems.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
If we had an effective run game, that would obviously help Jay's TD/INT ratio.

Cutler has to throw into double coverage because that's the only place to throw! When a 4 man front can stop a run game, why keep the LBs near the line? Drop them back and now you have defenders all over... combine that with a very inexperienced WR core who cant find the open holes... that is a mess.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
9, 20, 25, 14. The number of TD's he's thrown. 68 TD's to 54 Int's. I'd hardly call that ratio "good."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead...perc_career.htm

(if you have trouble finding him, he's #68)

And what's this nonsense about him having to "force" it? They were down, at most, 4 pts all of last night. It's not like he had to get a TD every time he got the f'n ball.

Why don't you look at the picks he's thrown while leading games and not get too focused ont he ones he's thrown when the team is down 14 points or more. Most of Cutler's picks in Denver came at times where he was chasing double digit deficits thanks to the defenses.

Put him on a solid team with a solid defense and my goodness.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Cutler has to throw into double coverage because that's the only place to throw! When a 4 man front can stop a run game, why keep the LBs near the line? Drop them back and now you have defenders all over... combine that with a very inexperienced WR core who cant find the open holes... that is a mess.

He was the same player in Denver with a good O-Line and better receivers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Why don't you look at the picks he's thrown while leading games and not get too focused ont he ones he's thrown when the team is down 14 points or more. Most of Cutler's picks in Denver came at times where he was chasing double digit deficits thanks to the defenses.

Put him on a solid team with a solid defense and my goodness.

Lol, why? You take away the TD's he threw against s***ty teams. I think at the end of the day all this averages itself out. He pads his stats against crappy teams and has worse stats against good teams...except last night, when he had 5 picks against a crappy team, or week 1, when he had 4 picks against an average GB team, or (I can go on...)

San Fran isn't a garbage team. They have a shot at the playoffs. They're a team on the rise. Cutler, is not everything Bears fans wanted him to be, therefore hyped him up to be. He's Jay Cutler. He still is a franchise QB though. He just has no offensive line, he has no dominant type of receiver, the running game has been terrible this year, and last, but definitely not least, his offensive coordinator is a joke.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
San Fran isn't a garbage team. They have a shot at the playoffs. They're a team on the rise. Cutler, is not everything Bears fans wanted him to be, therefore hyped him up to be. He's Jay Cutler. He still is a franchise QB though. He just has no offensive line, he has no dominant type of receiver, the running game has been terrible this year, and last, but definitely not least, his offensive coordinator is a joke.

Voice of reason here

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
Ill take em.

The are painful to watch, I think everyone knew that last night was going to be an ugly loss, we just didnt know how. I was at potbellys right before the game and there were several other bears fans and everyone had a look of concern on their faces. Alot different from the excitement several weeks ago.

I can get $200 a pop on eBay. Sorry.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)

Hey I agree (except for the San Fran comment. They're average at best, but I'd argue they're not a good football team). I'll I'm saying is this idea that he's fine and everyone else is the problem isn't accurate. He might have crap around him, but he's certainly playing on their level more often than not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Hey I agree (except for the San Fran comment. They're average at best, but I'd argue they're not a good football team). I'll I'm saying is this idea that he's fine and everyone else is the problem isn't accurate. He might have crap around him, but he's certainly playing on their level more often than not.

People really aren't saying that, personally for me I'm starting to get pissed off that he is being blamed for other peoples f***ups (in addition to his own, which nobody denies), and when it comes from fans of other teams who don't even watch the games it's especially irritating and makes me tune them out, but it's worse when it comes from Bears fans who know better.

"Great quarterbacks, good quarterbacks, make plays," Tarkenton said on "The Waddle and Silvy Show." "Mechanics is overwrought. Whether they're strong-armed, weak-armed, throw sidearm, throw overhead, they're fast, they're quick, I don't care. I just want someone to make plays. Peyton Manning doesn't look beautiful back there.

What advice would Tarkenton give Cutler?

"If Jay Cutler is not comfortable with the offense or the way they are calling the plays, he ought to go in there and tell that coach [expletive]," Tarkenton said during radio interview. "Dan Fouts came into the league and for the first couple of years he was struggling. He said, 'What do you do?' I said, 'Dan, if you're not willing to go tell your head coach or your coordinator to kiss off, then you can't play quarterback in this league.'

"I don't think that will solve the problems of the Chicago Bears. The Chicago Bears need to start over. But for Jay Cutler to be a quarterback and make plays, he's got to take charge."

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)

I wish he would do just that. But honestly, it's not entirely Turner's fault. Even when Turner has called (what I thought) some decent games, the offense has still be somewhat limited. We need a new playcaller, but we also need at least 1 big, strong beastlike receiver out there. Too bad we didn't just go after Brandon Marshall when we had the chance...

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
You know it's bad when your QB throws 5 picks and he's still the least of your worries.

^^^

Anyone else worried about jcutler getting hurt behind that oline? Not trying to be a pessimist or jinx but thinking about the teams we have to play with good defenses makes me worry. Eagles/Vikings x 2...... :unsure: He sure does get hit a bunch.

I think that the problem with the team starts at the top. It wont improve by the "just a few pieces away" mentality.

QUOTE (knightd1 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
^^^

Anyone else worried about jcutler getting hurt behind that oline? Not trying to be a pessimist or jinx but thinking about the teams we have to play with good defenses makes me worry. Eagles/Vikings x 2...... :unsure: He sure does get hit a bunch.

I think that the problem with the team starts at the top. It wont improve by the "just a few pieces away" mentality.

I think anytime your team just played the Cleveland Browns and your QB says he feels more sore the next week than he ever has before, then yes, you should be worried about him getting hurt...

I honestly do think it's the combination of offense and offensive line. Cutler is just getting murdered out there. I don't know why people think running bootlegs and moving the pocket is a better idea. They can't even block straight up. The line is old, or just plain crap, or both. They need to completely rebuild the line.

We need a new offensive coordinator who can make great use of Cutler's arm which is his biggest strength. They also need a stud WR out there. Olsen also is vastly overrated.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
I honestly do think it's the combination of offense and offensive line. Cutler is just getting murdered out there. I don't know why people think running bootlegs and moving the pocket is a better idea. They can't even block straight up. The line is old, or just plain crap, or both. They need to completely rebuild the line.

We need a new offensive coordinator who can make great use of Cutler's arm which is his biggest strength. They also need a stud WR out there. Olsen also is vastly overrated.

That, I don't agree with.

But even if he is, the reason the faster TE's in the league are so deadly is because those teams are using them as the 2nd or 3rd option, not the first. When a defense has to account for an actual #1 WR and maybe even a another solid wideout as well as a good running back, they can't account for a fast TE. But when defenses can key on your TE, he's just not going to find himself open like Dallas Clark or Jason Witten do.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Why is Cutler feeling the need to force the ball so much lately?

Because we have a highly inept offensive coordinator who refuses to use our mobile QB and great TE's in the redzone. Everyone in the stadium knows what is coming when we get inside the 10: run up the middle, run up the middle or MAYBE to the outside/pitch, then let cutler use his arm and legs to make a play. That results in forcing it. God i hate every coach on this team

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Lol, likewise. I guess "stats" and "history" don't mean much.

Look, at the end of the day he's physically a better QB. He's taller, he's more agile, he's got a better arm, he's more accurate, blah blah. But I dunno how you can discount the similarities - both make awful decisions (generally at the worst possible times) and they have great games followed by horrible games.

The view people have on this board that he's only playing this way because the offense (and team) is awful is just a fantasy. It's not based on fact. Even when he's had great weapons around him he still makes really bad decisions and turns the ball over a lot. He needs a good coach to rid him of those problems.

There's no question Cutler is better than Rex, but all the excuses people use for Cutler throwing 5 picks in a must win game against a very mediocre opponent were never used for Rex. Cutler is always under pressure, he's getting murdered, the OL sucks. Grossman gets pummelled and fumbles, he gets no excuse other than his hands are the size of baby hands he can't hold on to the ball.

Cutler has a lot of ability without a doubt, but if the OL is the problem how come when he was acquired no one said he would be worthless with the present OL, and if he needs all day shouldn't the money and draft picks used to acquire him be spent on offensive lineman? Wouldn't with a good defense, good running game and good offensive line a guy like Orton be able to QB the Bears to a SB? They made it when Rex was barking out signals.

I personally think Cutler is far more Jeff George than John Elway, and I wish the excuse makers would stop. Do they realize that SF scored all their points off INTS? Do they realize even with those, the Bears could have won the game without scoring a TD and the 2 red zone INTs squashed what could have been 2 chipshot FGs?

Its so obvious Cutler was awful on Thursday and awful against GB, but amazing how many go so far out of there way to say he has no chance. I do know one thing, if for some reason Cutler wasn't able to play against SF and Hanie played, if he played the exact same way, there wouldn't be all the excuses. It would be the Bears need a back up QB, this guy shouldn't be on an NFL roster, he needs to be cut immediately. I think maybe people put their dreams into Cutler and can't admit when he screws up. Eventually the blinders will be lifted.