Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
The NFL sure didn't do the Cowboys any favors with this schedule. These last four games will pry be Phillips' last as coach. IMO, I think he will have to at least win a playoff game in order to keep his job.

That's going to be a tough task for him considering he's never won a playoff game in his coaching career.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Yep not a shock, it is December after all.

Nick Folk is done as our kicker, Buehler should take over this week.

As for Wade Phillips, well his job is probably hanging by a thread right now. Doesn't get any easier with a trip to play the Saints next w/e.

He's cool with me for no other reason than the fact that his name almost spells Buehrle.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm still very much behind Jay Cutler, having said that (sorry larry david) I cannot defend that second interception. He eyeballed Knox the entire time, and there was absolutely no reason to throw the ball in that situation, it wasn't even a good defensive play. . . Jay threw the ball directly to Collins and Knox wasn't even in the vicinity.

I believe that Jay has the ability to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. . . but he is far from a finished product and may have been a little spoiled in Denver with that offensive line and those receivers. He needs to stop making the kind of decisions that cost the team points and victories.

In addition to firing Ron Turner, I hope they fire Pep Hamilton as well. I don't know what role he plays as the QB coach, but he has failed to develop any player under his tutelage and I'd like to have someone spend time with Jay who can get into his head a little bit more.

What a disappointing season.

Knox has to read that his guy is going to blitz and he will be against soft zone coverage, instead of bolting down the sidelines he has to sit in the zone just past the first down marker. Jay should know a rookie probably wont read that correct, but Knox did run an incorrect read.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
The NFL sure didn't do the Cowboys any favors with this schedule. These last four games will pry be Phillips' last as coach. IMO, I think he will have to at least win a playoff game in order to keep his job.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's about a year too late as well.

Yeah, the Cowboys have a tough schedule. But it's not as if they're a completely awful team. They've been in these games, they just love finding ways to lose more.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
look at the play they just broke down again. The receivers simply do not run the right route frequently and that leads to a good percentage of the interceptions. Throw in a few no-call pass interferences and you're near or above 50% of the INT's not being on Cutler.

Just look at that play, people in the bar I watch the game at were berating Cutler and I'm like guys, the WR isn't running the right way and because of it, it looks like Jay is throwing to a bunch of Packers but in reality, Knox cuts the right way and you have a shot at a nice gain.

This is what happens when you entered the season with 2 of your top 3 WR's having 0 receptions in the NFL (Bennett/Knox) and a 3rd having just 2.5 years of experience in his career at the position.

You are going to have a ton of mistakes and I'll give Cutler credit for not snapping. Probably 15 of his picks can be attributed to guys running the wrong routes and that is f***ing unbelievable. However, I think Knox/Arash are going to be keepers. The body control Arash has is spectacular and his size should be very helpful. Get us a good receiver in the off-season to go with this guys and I'd think long and hard about moving Hester. That said, you could keep Devin and use him too, but I think long-term Knox will be the superior wide-out and Hester makes a ton.

If we could get a 2nd for Devin, I'd do it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
lovie should be fired on the spot for this challenge.

I said it at the bar, if you are going to call a timeout you might as well challenge. Don't call a timeout and than challenge what was going to be a questionable but understandable challenge.

One of the dumbest coaching calls I've ever seen and if a couple blow-out losses earlier this year didn't end Lovie's career in Chicago, this should have.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Unbelievably stupid challenge, well really the challenge itself was bad but challenging after the TO is what makes it truly indefensible. Also, Greg Olsen please make a difficult catch for once in your life.

Olsen isn't that good and the Bears would be best suited trading him. He doesn't have great hands, can't block and while he has great speed and everything else, it really is off-set by a lot of other things.

I really think if I were the Bears I'd try to move Olsen/Hester for 2nd round picks each and use those picks to address other needs. The money saved can go towards helping the Bears hire new coaches as well as allow them to throw some money at a wideout.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm still very much behind Jay Cutler, having said that (sorry larry david) I cannot defend that second interception. He eyeballed Knox the entire time, and there was absolutely no reason to throw the ball in that situation, it wasn't even a good defensive play. . . Jay threw the ball directly to Collins and Knox wasn't even in the vicinity.

I believe that Jay has the ability to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. . . but he is far from a finished product and may have been a little spoiled in Denver with that offensive line and those receivers. He needs to stop making the kind of decisions that cost the team points and victories.

In addition to firing Ron Turner, I hope they fire Pep Hamilton as well. I don't know what role he plays as the QB coach, but he has failed to develop any player under his tutelage and I'd like to have someone spend time with Jay who can get into his head a little bit more.

What a disappointing season.

He wasn't in the vicinity because Jay was expecting Knox to come back. I think Jay should have probably taken the sack, but at the same time, the reason that ball was directly to Collins was because Knox kept slipped and kept running a bit as opposed to coming back on the ball which is what Jay expected given that you are taught to come back when a QB is pressured.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
Billick was saying during the game that you just dont know if that is on Cutler or if it is on Knox for running the incorrect route in that situation. We wont ever know unless they come out and say it, but it doesnt matter it goes on Cutlers record

Cutler has kept his mouth shut for a while, but after almost every pick you see him over talking with one of his young wide-outs and explaining to him what he should do. Than you see the replay and you'll see the vast majority of the time the WR being talked to made the wrong cut. When I say that, I mean a WR needs to read the situation usually and cut one way or the other depending on where the defender is. Jay is going to throw the way he expects you to break and most of the time he's had his ugly picks, the WR has gone the other way.

We saw it again countless times in todays' game. You also see him working to make things better and Knox is getting better and Arash looks like he could be pretty damn solid. Great body control and good hands from what I've seen in his limited action. Bout f***ing time he gets to play after Jay has lobbied for him all damn season.

As Ed O'Bradavich said Greg Olson is the first player to actually play smaller and slower than they really are.

The Aroma thing that made Lovie look bad was that they saw all of this in practice?????? Huh....why is he behind Bennet and Hester than?

I think the coaching staff continues to show that they are unable to get players to progerss as they mature and make sound decisions about both personnel and game managment. That last series was an embarassment.

What does Pep Hamilton do?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
As Ed O'Bradavich said Greg Olson is the first player to actually play smaller and slower than they really are.

The Aroma thing that made Lovie look bad was that they saw all of this in practice?????? Huh....why is he behind Bennet and Hester than?

I think the coaching staff continues to show that they are unable to get players to progerss as they mature and make sound decisions about both personnel and game managment. That last series was an embarassment.

What does Pep Hamilton do?

Completely agree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
He wasn't in the vicinity because Jay was expecting Knox to come back. I think Jay should have probably taken the sack, but at the same time, the reason that ball was directly to Collins was because Knox kept slipped and kept running a bit as opposed to coming back on the ball which is what Jay expected given that you are taught to come back when a QB is pressured.

Jay should have thrown the ball away. Knox probably did run the wrong route, but even if he didn't slip it still would have been a pick. Even if Knox was supposed to sit in that zone, he didn't and Jay threw the ball anyway. It wasn't a quick slant, Cutler eyed down Knox and threw the ball despite the fact that the route was wasn't there. I love Jay, and I think were still closer to winning a SB this year than last... but I cannot make excuses for bad decision making. There was no play to be made, and it ended up costing the team the lead.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)

Why?

Hester is starting because they couldn't be happy with keeping the NFL's greatest KR a KR. They had to get too smart for their own good and change him into a WR, to prove they are smarter than everyone else. Hester is a gadget player on offense with the upside of being the greatest KR the league had ever seen. Now he is overpaid and out of place. I'm not sure there was anyone in the league besides the dummies at Halas Hall who actually thought he was a number 1 receiver. He is at best a slot receiver and I think I'd rather have Knox in that position.

Bennett is starting because he was last year's third round draft pick, who couldn't scratch the field last year because he was unable to learn the plays. Now they have to prove that he wasn't a wasted pick so he must start above DA.

ARGH!!! f***ing Bears!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
I actually have no problem with Bennett. He has hung on to the ball after taking some serious shots. I like what he has shown in his first actual year playing

I agree that Bennett has shown some moxy and good hands, but I'm not sure that he has done enough to make me believe that the Bears don't need 2 new wide receivers next year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
I actually have no problem with Bennett. He has hung on to the ball after taking some serious shots. I like what he has shown in his first actual year playing

Me too. Bennett, Knox and Aromashodu look to be all NFL capable WR's. Aroma looked unbelievable yesterday and Cutler has been lobying for him all season including when he was almost cut from the team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Me too. Bennett, Knox and Aromashodu look to be all NFL capable WR's. Aroma looked unbelievable yesterday and Cutler has been lobying for him all season including when he was almost cut from the team.

You have been brainwashed by the Bears. Congratulations.

NSFW: Couple Christens Dallas Cowboys Stadium's New Bathroom Stall

Some of you who follow my infrequently updated Twitter account may have seen a report from a friend about a video of two people doing the North Texas rumpy-pump in the bathroom at the MNF game. It has arrived. (NSFW)

Don't be too alarmed — it's only three seconds of pretty standard grunt-heavy missionary sex on the bathroom floor, nabbed by this citizen journalist who, along with many others at Dallas Stadium last night, witnessed this display.

After the couple was finished (my friend says this was done via hand, for some reason — so old school) the two people walked out from the bathroom and were greeted by raucous applause. One onlooker yelled "See you on YouTube!" and the happy man graciously replied "Bring it on!" Of course he did.

Video and a pic at the link.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Why?

Hester is starting because they couldn't be happy with keeping the NFL's greatest KR a KR. They had to get too smart for their own good and change him into a WR, to prove they are smarter than everyone else. Hester is a gadget player on offense with the upside of being the greatest KR the league had ever seen. Now he is overpaid and out of place. I'm not sure there was anyone in the league besides the dummies at Halas Hall who actually thought he was a number 1 receiver. He is at best a slot receiver and I think I'd rather have Knox in that position.

Bennett is starting because he was last year's third round draft pick, who couldn't scratch the field last year because he was unable to learn the plays. Now they have to prove that he wasn't a wasted pick so he must start above DA.

ARGH!!! f***ing Bears!

I'm gonna disagree here with the Hester thing. First, he's a playmaker, and you don't keep a playmaker on the sidelines for 90% of the game. If he becomes a reciever with mediocre skills, he's easily one of the top 10-15 guys. He's shown the flashes of why they (and he) wanted him to be a WR. It didn't work out, mainly because of the offensive play calling, not because they can't coach him up or because of his lack of skills. He gets jammed a lot, but so what. If Cutler had 5 more seconds for each pass Hester could beat his guy and go deep a heckuva lot more.

More importantly though, this nonsense about him being the best KR in history. He was for a couple of years. But so was Hall in KC, and Howard in Green Bay and yadda yadda. Both are no longer in the league (Howard fizzled out pretty shortly after that SB MVP). THere are other examples I'm too lazy to look up. Those guys don't stick around and have 6-7 year careers. You hope to get 1, maybe 2 years of greatness out of them, and that's exactly what they got out of Hester. Not only that, but his contract is totally reasonable and completely based on his performance as a WR. So it's not like we overpaid for him. (For once, the Bears management actually made a good move there.)

Now, for the game....if the entire coaching staff doesn't get canned after this year, I'm done being a Bears fan. Seriously. I'm damn near there with Illinois. Both are full of f'n retards that couldn't coach a JV team, let alone a major conference college program/nfl team. It's f'n pathetic that fans continue to pay money to go to games to watch a crap team play. I can't say this about Illinois, but the Bears should be a YEARLY CONTENDER for the division, MINIMUM. The level of mediocrity is just amazing. They're literally becoming the Chicago Cubs of the NFL (except for the fact that they have probably the most tradition out of anyone in the sport).

Hester will continue to be this team's #1 WR for years. Like someone said, he's a playmaker and you have to put him on the field as much as possible.

Bennett has looked good at times and at times he's looked lost.

Knox looks alright, but a #3 WR at best.

Olsen is overrated as hell.

DA looked pretty good, but how much can we bank on him?

There's no way JA goes out and signs Marshall, or any big name FA's for that matter. Maybe Kevin Walter, but with all this CBA bull, all these FA's might be restricted.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Hester will continue to be this team's #1 WR for years. Like someone said, he's a playmaker and you have to put him on the field as much as possible.

Bennett has looked good at times and at times he's looked lost.

Knox looks alright, but a #3 WR at best.

Olsen is overrated as hell.

DA looked pretty good, but how much can we bank on him?

There's no way JA goes out and signs Marshall, or any big name FA's for that matter. Maybe Kevin Walter, but with all this CBA bull, all these FA's might be restricted.

I bet the bears move to replace him with a true #1 this offseason.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
I bet the bears move to replace him with a true #1 this offseason.

Have anybody in mind?

I'm not saying Hester IS a #1, or that I condone keeping him in that spot. However, with how far they've come with him as a WR, I doubt they change it now.