Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
The world of business. I'm not saying it's right, but the Bears don't usually eat contracts like that. Lovie has what...2-3 years left at 3mil per? Or more? The McCaskeys don't do that.

For a team that makes as much money as the Bears, the money is not an excuse. What's 11 million dollars to them? How much are they going to lose for having a s***ty team next year?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
For a team that makes as much money as the Bears, the money is not an excuse. What's 11 million dollars to them? How much are they going to lose for having a s***ty team next year?

nothing. the bears will sell out every game next year regardless of record

Forget about Holmgren, he's off to Cleveland;

Browns named ex-Seahawks and Packers head coach Mike Holmgren their new club president.

Holmgren, who coached three Super Bowl teams, is the Browns' new head of football operations. The 61-year-old is expected bring in a new head coach, likely from his own coaching tree, to replace Eric Mangini. Holmgren was largely unsuccessful when given GM duties at the start of his time in Seattle, so it's fair to question the move. But perhaps he'll be able to make it work without coaching responsibilities on top of evaluating personnel.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
According to ESPNChicago.com, Mike Shanahan would be "extremely interested" in the Bears head coaching job if the team decides to part ways with Lovie Smith.

What I loved even more about that article is the mention of him bringing along Mike Heimerdinger as the OC. That would be awesome as Heimerdinger is a guy I've actually thought we should target as a Head Coach if the Bears fire Lovie like they should. And people in Houston really question Kyle Shanahan's playcalling decisions, so if he's let go or demoted, it would be great to bring him on as QB coach. Even if he's not a great OC, he is at least a very good QB coach.

Cowher extremely interested...check

Shanahan extremely interested...check

Lovie's dismissal......

I have said planety of times here and stand by it, the only way I fire Lovie is if we get a big time replacememnt. A guy with good experience. No head coach taking his first head coaching job.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)

Lovie's dismissal......

I have said planety of times here and stand by it, the only way I fire Lovie is if we get a big time replacememnt. A guy with good experience. No head coach taking his first head coaching job.

Keep in mind though, that no Super Bowl winning head coach has ever won another Super Bowl with another team...

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)

Lovie's dismissal......

Shanahan had a crappy team and lost his job with Cutler playing like a Pro Bowler. Sure he's a sexy name, but bringing him would be setting everyone up for dissappointment, like bringing in Orlando Pace.

Cowher is a guy I would love the Bears to get, but more than Lovie would have to go to make it happen. No matter who they bring in, if they don't upgrade the talent level, the team is not going to be very good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Shanahan had a crappy team and lost his job with Cutler playing like a Pro Bowler. Sure he's a sexy name, but bringing him would be setting everyone up for dissappointment, like bringing in Orlando Pace.

Cowher is a guy I would love the Bears to get, but more than Lovie would have to go to make it happen. No matter who they bring in, if they don't upgrade the talent level, the team is not going to be very good.

Ok, so wait, Cowher was the coach in Pittsburgh for 13 years before he won a Super Bowl, but he is a guy you like, while Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls in Denver, but he is just a sexy name.

Got it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Ok, so wait, Cowher was the coach in Pittsburgh for 13 years before he won a Super Bowl, but he is a guy you like, while Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls in Denver, but he is just a sexy name.

Got it.

Why is my opinion any worse than yours, and why do you make stupid comments after every one of my posts? Mike Shanahan inherited John Elway. They win 2 SB, Elway retires and they go 6-10 the next season. Cowher has a higher winning pct anyway.

I supposed if you are an NBA fan you would be doing cartwheels if the team you follow hired Jerry Krause to be the GM. He has 6 titles.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Why is my opinion any worse than yours, and why do you make stupid comments after every one of my posts? Mike Shanahan inherited John Elway. Cowher has a higher winning pct anyway.

I supposed if you are an NBA fan you would be doing cartwheels if the team you follow hired Jerry Krause to be the GM. He has 6 titles.

Excuse me?

I didn't say your opinion was worse than anyone else's opinion. Are you seriously whining that I am disagreeing with you?

If I recall correctly, you responded to my post, did you not? Then you managed to compare two coaches with extremely similar coaching profiles, claiming one was a "sexy name" while the other was not, without bothering to make any distinction.

Shanahan inherited Elway, who had never won a Super Bowl title previously, and won two Super Bowls with him, at a very advanced age, why? Because Shanahan gave him a running game finally with his zone-blocking scheme? You are honestly going to hold it against Shanahan that he won 2 Super Bowls with Elway because Elway was there first?

Edit: Sorry, you responded to a post that was related to my post.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Excuse, me?

I didn't respond to your post, unless you changed your name to Brian. Give it a rest. Its not like I'm the only person in the world who thinks Cowher is head and shoulders above Shanahan.

Give it a rest man or just ban me.

DA, why are you allowed to voice your opinion, but I am not allowed to voice mine? I posted the stuff about Shanahan being interested in the Bears job last night/this morning. I am on record as supporting him numerous times throughout this thread. Are you accusing me of purposefully forming my opinions simply to contradict your own?

If you haven't noticed, my freaking avatar has Shanahan and Cutler in it. Do you really think I am making this position up to tick you off?

You claimed he was just a sexy name, but Cowher was somehow different.

I questioned that.

How is that being unfair to you in any way?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
DA, why are you allowed to voice your opinion, but I am not allowed to voice mine? I posted the stuff about Shanahan being interested in the Bears job last night/this morning. I am on record as supporting him numerous times throughout this thread. Are you accusing me of purposefully forming my opinions simply to contradict your own?

You claimed he was just a sexy name, but Cowher was somehow different.

I questioned that.

How is that being unfair to you in any way?

It was "got it". It was very condescending and you know it. It was meant to make me look like my opinion is stupid, which it may be, but is it your place, especially as a moderator to point it out, with the only evidence being its different than yours? Its just about every post I make anymore, and its getting old. Besides, being thought of as less of a football coach than Bill Cowher isn't exactly that big of a knock. Shanahan didn't win without Elway. That's a fact. He didn't draft him. I prefer Cowher, but I actually before a few current assistants to either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
It was "got it". It was very condescending and you know it. It was meant to make me look like my opinion is stupid, which it may be, but is it your place, especially as a moderator to point it out, with the only evidence being its different than yours? Its just about every post I make anymore, and its getting old. Besides, being thought of as less of a football coach than Bill Cowher isn't exactly that big of a knock. Shanahan didn't win without Elway. That's a fact. He didn't draft him. I prefer Cowher, but I actually before a few current assistants to either.

DA, you're actually quite condescending to me in many of your posts. I thought it was just the relationship we shared. My apologies for upsetting you. I will make every effort to be more considerate in the future.

Haynesworth puts Greg Blache, Jim Zorn on blast

I wasnt a fan of Blache when he was with the Bears. His treatment of rookies was despicable, and his doghouse was so wishy washy and didnt make sense. If he didnt like a player he wouldnt play that player, even if it meant an inferior player was in his place. IIRC he wouldnt let Briggs and Peanut see the field until it was painfully obvious that they were way better than the players they were replacing, and every time either of them stepped on the field they made something happen.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Ron Rivera will be the next coach.

of......?

I doubt its the Bears, from what I heard he burned a lot of bridges with that messy divorce from the Bears a few years ago.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
of......?

I doubt its the Bears, from what I heard he burned a lot of bridges with that messy divorce from the Bears a few years ago.

If Rivera could get over it, the Bears might go for something like that. Rivera's name is no longer on the list of "he's going to be a head coach soon" it seems, since he's been passed over so many times.

What I heard was from Boers, so you can take it with a grain of salt, but Mulligan confirmed it on their on air call in. Apparently it isnt Rivera who has to get over it, its the Bears. He said that many in the organization felt that Rivera made it very clear that the job was a stepping stone and rubbed a lot of people in the front office the wrong way with how he went about it, and there was a big falling out in the weeks leading up to the Superbowl.