Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
What I heard was from Boers, so you can take it with a grain of salt, but Mulligan confirmed it on their on air call in. Apparently it isnt Rivera who has to get over it, its the Bears. He said that many in the organization felt that Rivera made it very clear that the job was a stepping stone and rubbed a lot of people in the front office the wrong way with how he went about it, and there was a big falling out in the weeks leading up to the Superbowl.

I still think Lovie was threatened by Rivera waiting in the wings behind him.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
I still think Lovie was threatened by Rivera waiting in the wings behind him.

if it happened right now I would agree 100 percent. At that time I am sure it played a part in the decision, but I think a small part. Lovie was at full speed at that point, his team looked poised for a nice run.

Also, Rivera was let go 9 days before Lovie signed his contract extension with the Bears. Lovie knew he was staying with the Bears, he couldnt of felt that threatened that Rivera was going to take his job from him.

If there was anything that threatened Lovie, it was the fact that someone else was calling defensive plays and he disagreed with it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
What I heard was from Boers, so you can take it with a grain of salt, but Mulligan confirmed it on their on air call in. Apparently it isnt Rivera who has to get over it, its the Bears. He said that many in the organization felt that Rivera made it very clear that the job was a stepping stone and rubbed a lot of people in the front office the wrong way with how he went about it, and there was a big falling out in the weeks leading up to the Superbowl.

So if the Bears have to "get over it" how is Rivera as head coach inevitable?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
They will find an O coordinator to promote...

There's nothing a priori wrong with that, it depends on the person and how their style fits with Angelo (presumably) and the Bears personnel. For example, he better have some ideas about how to work on that O-Line.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
I hope the Colts lose their first playoff game. I can't believe the s*** they pulled today. Resting your starters doesn't work, in 05 and 07, they did the same thing, came out flat and lost their first playoff game. Keep the momentum and avoid rust.

Even worse IMO is the fact that people are trying to justify it. I could see if they were up by 21 or something but how could you not wanna win that game? Especially since you're 14-0. Who cares that you've got the conference locked up, that doesn't mean you quit playing.

Anywho, the Cowboys locked up the final NFC playoff spot tonight. I'm willing to say that this is the best defense in the NFC, if not the top dog...at least top 3.

Romo/Austin/Witten did their thing per the usual.

Next week is the NFC East title game. With a win & a Packers win, the Cowboys take the 3 spot. 2 Vikings losses will give the Cowboys the 2 spot (it probably won't happen, but I can dream can't I?) With that being said, Go Bears!

*raises roof for a playoff berth & a shutout of the 'skins*

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Caldwell is trying to out-think himself. "What Would Dungy Do?"

He should have left the starters in. They were at home, inside.

The likelihood of injury is lower than on the road and outside in bad weather.

It really doesnt matter, Caldwell is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. If he leaves them in and Wayne, Manning, etc break a leg, blow out a knee, etc then he is an idiot because he left them in. If he takes them out and the team doesnt win, he should have let them try for the perfect record. In the end, is it about having a perfect season, or is it about winning a superbowl. Perfect seasons can be lost in the playoffs, and they have.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
Caldwell is trying to out-think himself. "What Would Dungy Do?"

He should have left the starters in. They were at home, inside.

The likelihood of injury is lower than on the road and outside in bad weather.

I think i would have given them one more series with PM to try to put at least another field goal on the board.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
I hope the Colts lose their first playoff game. I can't believe the s*** they pulled today. Resting your starters doesn't work, in 05 and 07, they did the same thing, came out flat and lost their first playoff game. Keep the momentum and avoid rust.

To be fair, in 05 and 07, didn't Dungy basically give manning a quarter or even not play him at all in those games? Caldwell did give him a full half, 2 touchdowns and a field goal on offense this week.

I think if the Colts with the Super Bowl, nobody will care about this game. But the Jets are now in at a wildcard spot. What do the other teams fighting for that playoff spot think of what the Colts did?

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
I think if the Colts with the Super Bowl, nobody will care about this game. But the Jets are now in at a wildcard spot. What do the other teams fighting for that playoff spot think of what the Colts did?

I think other teams should worry about taking care of their own business instead of hoping another team will lose

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)

The Steelers are thinking how did we lose at home to Oakland. The Texans lost a home game to the Jets in week 1. The Broncos have gone 2-7 in their last 9, including a home loss to Oakland. Yeah it does suck for them that the Colts gave up in that game, but all the other teams blew chances on their own that could have made the Jets/Colts game unimportant to them.