Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
I think the Saints are going to be pretty tough to beat at home as well, and I think it'll be awfully tough for Dallas to go into NO and beat them there again.

I like Indy/NO

The key would be for us to get as good of a pass rush on Bress as we did back in Wk15.

We do that, we've definitely got a shot, and our secondary is probably playing at a top 5 level right now, so we can probably match up with their WR's well enough.

My sleeper team right now is the Jets, because they're the best defensive team in the NFL and they can run the football. They remind me of when Pittsburgh won the Superbowl in Roethlisberger's 1st season, but Mark Sanchez needs to step his game up in the playoffs for them to have any shot.

I'll say a Colts vs. Cowboys Superbowl.

Bears will announce their coaching changes tomorrow. I'm almost banking Lovie will be back. It'll be interesting to see if Turner will also. I doubt Pep Hamilton will be back. I just hope IF Lovie is back, he stops with the whole hire your buddies bullcrap.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Bears will announce their coaching changes tomorrow. I'm almost banking Lovie will be back. It'll be interesting to see if Turner will also. I doubt Pep Hamilton will be back. I just hope IF Lovie is back, he stops with the whole hire your buddies bullcrap.

If they're stating their announcing their changes tomorrow, that means Lovie is back, else it would've been leaked already. Turner is going to be the fall guy as well as Pep Hamilton. Wouldn't surprise me if they bring in Zorn as a QB coach, and Martz, not because he's Lovie's friend, but he would be able to fully utilize the Bears' offense strengths which is speed. Also, I could see Rod Marinelli becoming the new defensive coordinator tomorrow or someone other than Lovie, but who still runs the cover 2.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Wouldn't surprise me if they bring in Zorn as a QB coach, and Martz, not because he's Lovie's friend, but he would be able to fully utilize the Bears' offense strengths which is speed. Also, I could see Rod Marinelli becoming the new defensive coordinator tomorrow or someone other than Lovie, but who still runs the cover 2.

I would support that actually. Martz is a very good coach and a proven winner. Just tired of seeing the Bob Babichs of the world get jobs when they suck. I mean some of these issues they have is obvious which is what Turner was lacking (especially with Garret Wolfe) Guys like a 6'7 Kellen Davis would have been ideal to use for Cutler in the red zone, Hester could have been used better (I know Slav likes him as a Wes Welker type of role in the slot) etc.. etc..

Perry Fewell (Buffalo's interim coach who just got canned) would be a good target if the Bears went after a new D-Co.

And they should target Jeremy Bates as an O-Co, or at least that's who Jay Cutler wants.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
I would support that actually. Martz is a very good coach and a proven winner. Just tired of seeing the Bob Babichs of the world get jobs when they suck. I mean some of these issues they have is obvious which is what Turner was lacking (especially with Garret Wolfe) Guys like a 6'7 Kellen Davis would have been ideal to use for Cutler in the red zone, Hester could have been used better (I know Slav likes him as a Wes Welker type of role in the slot) etc.. etc..

If they were to hire Martz, that would be reason enough to install field turf.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
I don't mind the Cover 2 as the base defense, but the Bears are running an obsolete version of it.

I assume the thing that makes it obsolete is the failure of the "Tommy Harris" module to repair after that system crash a couple years ago.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
If they're stating their announcing their changes tomorrow, that means Lovie is back, else it would've been leaked already. Turner is going to be the fall guy as well as Pep Hamilton. Wouldn't surprise me if they bring in Zorn as a QB coach, and Martz, not because he's Lovie's friend, but he would be able to fully utilize the Bears' offense strengths which is speed. Also, I could see Rod Marinelli becoming the new defensive coordinator tomorrow or someone other than Lovie, but who still runs the cover 2.

This was exactly what I was going to post and I would be content with this.

It also makes the most sense fiscally and with the fact that there may not be football in 2011 teams are heding their moves.

It won't happen and here is why.

Lovie is very smug and knows everything. Martz can take his job if the O excels and the D fails. If there is no football in 2011, Martz will be paid anyway so you fire Lovie and install Martz. The new D coordinator must keep the cover 2. The fact that this failed so badly under Lovie and he was unable to do both jobs speaks volumes about his ability to be a head coach. There are plenty of guys that can do it but thay all have the oversized cards to read (I know these are the offensive guys) and Lovie looks at the scoreboard.

If Bill Cowher does not have a job, I think he gets the call after Lovie fails next year.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
If Bill Cowher does not have a job, I think he gets the call after Lovie fails next year.

I think Cowher clearly wants to take a job along the Southeast coast close to where he lives. That's why we kept hearing he was interested in Carolina or Tampa, and when those jobs didn't open, suddenly he wasn't interested in coaching this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I think Cowher clearly wants to take a job along the Southeast coast close to where he lives. That's why we kept hearing he was interested in Carolina or Tampa, and when those jobs didn't open, suddenly he wasn't interested in coaching this year.

When your options are Buffalo and that's it you rethink wheather you want to coach are not.

I get the feeling there is more inside stuff to the Hub Arkush reports and it ties into no football in 2011 as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
Rod better not be in line for the head coach job.

Rod had a HORRIBLE team in Detroit. i don't know how much was him, but I too wouldnt be in favor of him being head coach. HOWEVER, if the Bears start off bad next year, he would be the logical temporary coach.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
ugh!

+1

I just mentioned this over at talkbears but the guy hasn't coordinated a defense since his first coaching job at Rosemead High School in 1975. Bears were 13th in sacks this season, let's reward mediocrity with a promotion.

Edited by bschmaranz

The Bears organization never disappoints. Rod Marinelli as Defense coordinator while Lovie Smith remains the head coach. Lovie has changed coordinators so many times surprisingly he kept his job after this really awful season.

The deal that Lovie signed gave him free reign over his staff and involvement in player personnel decisions. He has failed miserably in both accounts.

I was in favor of bringing in Marinelli as I have no problem bringing in failed head coaches that were good assistants. I hope Maranelli gets some free reign to stunt and be creative with the defensive scheme. If he is a Lovie puppet like babich then the will suck again.

Pep Hamilton better be gone.