Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
They could have hired Martz a month ago. Obviously they struck out on every other option.

I don't think so. I think they knew what they had in Martz, but wanted to see other potential options first. At the end of the day, I think once they found a candidate they really liked, they would have also interviewed Martz and it would have came down to one of them.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
I don't mind getting a younger Josh Beekman at Center which he was drafted and groomed for. If that means Kreutz (and other guys old/still younger I.E. Hester) are gone for draft picks to help, then I would not mind at all. Of course that won't happen though.

I gotta say I like the hire too, but what does this mean for Greg Olsen? In a Martz run offense, TE usually catch/see only about 40 balls receiving a season. (most of the time they are blocking in his scheme) I don't think Greg will be catching 60+ again next season, but hopefully it's enough to give him some touches since he is a very good match-up threat.

Outside of Vernon Davis (who was raw and unproven), Martz has never had an above average Tight end. Now that he does, I assume like any really good offensive mind, he'll find ways to utilize it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Outside of Vernon Davis (who was raw and unproven), Martz has never had an above average Tight end. Now that he does, I assume like any really good offensive mind, he'll find ways to utilize it.

Agreed.

In the article Murcie posted, Martz clearly says the key is to work with the strengths of the personnel you have. He isn't going to try and force our personnel into the Rams version of "The Greatest Show on Turf," he's going to create "The Even Greater Show on s***ty Soldier Field Sod" with our personnel. He spoke about having an underweight Isaac Bruce, a tiny guy in Az Hakim, and a "slow white guy" in Ricky Proehl in St. Louis. He designed his offense around the one key strength they had - speed - apparently an undervalued asset at the time in the NFL.

I think Martz will design an offense around our key strengths, which, in his mind, are Forte, Olsen, Knox, Aromashadu, and Hester (with obviously Cutler throwing to them). I have faith that he will design a system which utilizes those strengths far better than Ron Turner ever did or ever could. The key, as a few posters have said, will be to find a way to protect Cutler, as well as a way to stay fast on our crappy field (unless we get field turf, which we absolutely should).

I think signing another offensive tackle would go farther than signing a #1 WR. Honestly, I don't really feel we need another wr.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
I think signing another offensive tackle would go farther than signing a #1 WR. Honestly, I don't really feel we need another wr.

The line should definitely be addressed before any other move in terms of importance.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Dont forget that Martz's system uses shorter drops than Turner's seemed to, so the O line just needs to hold blocks for 3-4 steps. Forte is going to be a beast with how many balls he catches next season.

umm. . . not always. Martz's scheme uses seven step drops a good part of the time as well, hence the need for a good blocking TE.

Some pretty awesome stuff being said about Martz. I am really getting amped for a new offense. Too bad we have to wait 8 months to see it.

Martz Promises Revamped Offense

''There's nobody out there better,'' said Vermeil, who was the Rams' head coach when Martz was offensive coordinator during the team's Super Bowl run in 2000. ''I can only evaluate people by how they are with me, and nobody in the history of the NFL has come in and did what he did as a coordinator.''

''[Martz is] tough,'' Vermeil said. ''The quarterback has to have some substance to him. But he'll make him the best he has ever been.''
Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Field Turf! Field Turf!

David Haugh

From what I've heard, the Sod Father was asked to take a look at the situation down at Soldier Field. Bossard gave the team the price it would cost to do the job right (actual grass) and the team rebuffed him because they said it was too expensive. This is per Dan McNeil or someone else on talk radio.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Bills brought in George Edwards, who was just hired to run the Florida Gators defense, as defensive coordinator. Sounds like he plans to switch to a mainly 3-4 defense, which is just fine by me.

Nice hire.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
If they don't revamp that O Line it doesn't matter what offensive scheme Martz comes up with.

I still think they need a RT, but the guys they have showed some promise down the stretch, williams in particular once you put him in the pass protecting LT spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
I still think they need a RT, but the guys they have showed some promise down the stretch, williams in particular once you put him in the pass protecting LT spot.

Its actually interesting when Pace "got hurt" the O line did seem like it improved.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 04:45 AM)
LT says he's done as a Charger

Well, this is intriguing.

Does anyone consider the Bears should consider him as a #2 back? They could use someone to compliment Forte.

Something tells me he is not going to be interested in being a #2 back. And some team will take him on as their #1 back.

At this point in his career, my guess is he isn't a whole lot different than Forte, to be honest.

Wouldn't it be something to see him go to those Patriots...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 05:16 AM)
Something tells me he is not going to be interested in being a #2 back. And some team will take him on as their #1 back.

At this point in his career, my guess is he isn't a whole lot different than Forte, to be honest.

Wouldn't it be something to see him go to those Patriots...

Especially after seeing them gloat over him in 06.