Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
I'd rather have my QB, the most important player on a team, be able to win football games. End of story.

Orton and everyone else like him can go play for some other team.

Take your QB, defense wins championships.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Take your QB, defense wins championships.

That's relevant how?

No one said to have a great defense you have to have a s***ty game manager at QB.

Just because something has been won with or without something doesn't mean it should be the way you build your team to go after a championship.

The bears are in much better position to win a super bowl than they were with Orton, rest of team irrelevant.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
I'd rather have my QB, the most important player on a team, be able to win football games. End of story.

Orton and everyone else like him can go play for some other team.

But all Orton does is win

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
I can make the argument against you pretty easily; look at the last couple superbowl winners, other than the Colts. You had the Steelers in there twice and the Giants once. Those teams got there on the strength of their ground game. They had QB's who could make plays, but their QB's didn't carry them. Going back further you hit the Bucs and the Ravens, similarly; running teams, average QB, amazing defenses. On the other hand, you've got the Colts and the Pats, led by HOF QB's, but even then, they had serious defensive and running help in some of those years (the Colts basically beat the Bears on the ground, Corey Dillon did some real damage for NE when he was there, and then there was the NE defense).

We'll get back to this a little later. I need a little time to do some research.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Tampa won with Brad Johnson as their QB, so thats two superbowl teams that have won in recent history with a game manager QB. Really Big Ben isnt that great of a QB either, his one strong point is he can scramble and hard to take down.

I'm not sure you can call Brad Johnson circa 03 a game manager. The Bucs threw the ball approx 60% of the time! I'm willing to listen to what the definition of a game manager is, but I don't know how throwing the ball that much would qualify a player as someone who is asked not to make mistakes.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm not sure you can call Brad Johnson circa 03 a game manager. The Bucs threw the ball approx 60% of the time! I'm willing to listen to what the definition of a game manager is, but I don't know how throwing the ball that much would qualify a player as someone who is asked not to make mistakes.

But he was 17th in the league in yards gained through the air and 15th in attempts. It's not an open and shut case either way, but I think the point stands; he wasn't exactly tearing the league apart through the air.

I believe cutler had 3 series. He threw one (really bad) pick, had a couple of nice throws(one in particular to Dez Clark).

It wasnt great, it wasnt horrible.

WTF is up with Fox. The broadcast has been completely unwatchable since the second half started, this is ridiculous.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
But he was 17th in the league in yards gained through the air and 15th in attempts. It's not an open and shut case either way, but I think the point stands; he wasn't exactly tearing the league apart through the air.

As the resident Bucs fan here, I'd like to point out that Brad Johnson missed 3 games that year due to injury. He was throwing 30 some passes a game when healthy.

During the 3 playoff wins that year, Johnson was 53-98 for 670 yards and 5/3 TD/INT. I wouldnt say he was Farve or Warner but I'd wouldnt call him a game manager either. Up until the Super Bowl game, the Bucs werent that great of a running team either.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
I believe cutler had 3 series. He threw one (really bad) pick, had a couple of nice throws(one in particular to Dez Clark).

It wasnt great, it wasnt horrible.

WTF is up with Fox. The broadcast has been completely unwatchable since the second half started, this is ridiculous.

His accuracy was good, decision-making not so much. He got rushed and threw one right on the hands of a Buffalo DB that got dropped. I imagine this is something that'll smooth out when he gets more familiar with the offense and the WRs.

He was throwing way too much to Hester IMO.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
I have the sound off. What has been so bad about the broadcast?

When the second half started, it was like watching directv in the middle of a tornado. off and on, black screen, pixels popping up on half the screen, it was horrible. I didnt get my picture back until two minutes into the 4th quarter.

And I know it was Fox because the commercials were absolutely fine. As soon as the live broadcast started, back to crap

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
His accuracy was good, decision-making not so much. He got rushed and threw one right on the hands of a Buffalo DB that got dropped. I imagine this is something that'll smooth out when he gets more familiar with the offense and the WRs.

His favorite weapon wasnt playing. Once they get Olsen on the field, game over.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)

The big thing I noticed is how much more comfortable Jay is around pressure and in the pocket. It is beautiful to see. He made a couple very nice throws and a couple horrible throws. For a first preseason game I was fine with it and I'm thrilled to have him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
Jay Blazer says that Favre could go to the Vikings after all.

Can he just go away already?

:lolhitting

I wonder if this one is just someone from the media trying to keep their name out there. After all, if you want to make something up to get your story picked up nationwide, you've got like a full year where people will genuinely believe you.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
The big thing I noticed is how much more comfortable Jay is around pressure and in the pocket. It is beautiful to see. He made a couple very nice throws and a couple horrible throws. For a first preseason game I was fine with it and I'm thrilled to have him.

He's still gonna make some dumb throws though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
I've said all along I still think Favre will come back and I stand by it. He just didn't want to deal with training camp, and now that training camp is almost over, the rumors are starting, and soon enough he will be back.

I said the same thing, Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson? GMAB. He is just building up his reservoir of fake tears for his next 3 months. Gotta cry about lotsa stuff

You know what Jay Cutler is? He's what the Bears hoped and prayed Rex Grossman would become when they drafted him in the first round, except he's bigger and taller. He's a gunslinging QB who will make stupid mistakes on occasion, but more often then not will throw for a ton of yards and touchdowns and lead your team to a lot of points as it's long term solution at quarterback. The key to this team is still the defense, because I just think it sucks, especially in pass coverage.