Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Falcons are gonna regress a bit IMO. No inside "local" knowledge, just a feeling that Ryan won't be quite as good while the Saints will still be very good and the Panthers will be better.

1. They lost Douglass, but they added one of the best TE's ever.

2. While the Saints are going to have Colston back at 100%, they just don't play defense.

3. I'm not sure how Carolina got better. D'Angelo Williams is not going to have that same season again, Delhomme continues to get worse, and Peppers still is unhappy.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
1. They lost Douglass, but they added one of the best TE's ever.

2. While the Saints are going to have Colston back at 100%, they just don't play defense.

3. I'm not sure how Carolina got better. D'Angelo Williams is not going to have that same season again, Delhomme continues to get worse, and Peppers still is unhappy.

Jonathan Stewart

Average QB gets PAID!

Chargers signed QB Philip Rivers to a six-year, $92 million extension through 2015.

$38-39 million is guaranteed. The Giants guaranteed Eli Manning $35M, but his annual average is $16.25M. Rivers' is only $15.33M, making it a pretty good deal for GM A.J. Smith. Rivers doesn't have the ring, but is clearly the superior passer in terms of accuracy, efficiency, and aggressiveness. Eli might have a stronger arm, but Rivers is much better going down the field. Aug. 24 - 6:28 pm et

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Good points. So maybe we should sign Jay this year?

Cutler still has like 3 years left on his deal, Rivers would have been a FA this offseason, and it's difficult to know where the cap is going to be at the end of next year. That said...if he goes out and continues tearing up the league for the first few weeks of the season, it's something you might legitimately consider while you can still use this year's cap (usually that runs through late october, so you get about 1/2 the regular season to make that call).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Cutler still has like 3 years left on his deal, Rivers would have been a FA this offseason, and it's difficult to know where the cap is going to be at the end of next year. That said...if he goes out and continues tearing up the league for the first few weeks of the season, it's something you might legitimately consider while you can still use this year's cap (usually that runs through late october, so you get about 1/2 the regular season to make that call).

I can see the media pushing this if we have a successful year. I will never forget the whole "Lovie needs a raise campaign" that reached national media.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
I can see the media pushing this if we have a successful year. I will never forget the whole "Lovie needs a raise campaign" that reached national media.

He had 1 year remaining on his contract and he had just left the super bowl. That was an unavoidable move. If Rivers had played through this season there might have been some serious talk about him if the Chargers couldn't extend him. It'd be Rivers and Orton as the top 2 QB's on the market next offseason, and you never want to go through the franchise tag mess with a franchise QB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
He had 1 year remaining on his contract and he had just left the super bowl. That was an unavoidable move. If Rivers had played through this season there might have been some serious talk about him if the Chargers couldn't extend him. It'd be Rivers and Orton as the top 2 QB's on the market next offseason, and you never want to go through the franchise tag mess with a franchise QB.

Wasn't there talk that the Cowboys might have wanted Lovie then? I think so because I remember thinking it would have been better for the Bears to let that happen.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Rivers is average? He had just as many TD's last year as Brees did, and his #1 is Vincent Jackson + Gates.

So then you can point out why he deserves this crazy contract extension?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
I don't know why. But I do know that he isn't an average QB.

Yeah I don't know what more they need to see. Ide like to see the list of the "average" QBs who have ever had a 4,000 yard 30+ TD season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Rivers is way better than average, as far as I'm concerned he's a better QB than Jay Cutler. I'm surprised to see all of these incredibly large contracts though considering the league is going to have an extended work stoppage in 2011.

Kind of like all of the insane contracts that everyone squeaked in at the last second in the NBA before they had their last work stoppage. Remember how Garnett was all but untradeable(until the end of course) because he had one of the old CBA contracts?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Fine, Rivers is above average. I think the point is that he's getting paid more than quarterbacks that are better than he is.

Any time there's a guy at a key position that would be in demand by probably 20 of the 30 teams if he hit the market, you're going to have to overpay to make sure he doesn't hit the market. With how the cap has gone up though, slightly overpaying the QB isn't a move that kills you any more, especially if you're smart about how you do the cap numbers and you draft well.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Fine, Rivers is above average. I think the point is that he's getting paid more than quarterbacks that are better than he is.

Eli Manning is being paid more than Rivers, and Eli Manning is, in my mind, a far inferior QB.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Eli Manning is being paid more than Rivers, and Eli Manning is, in my mind, a far inferior QB.

But...he has a ring, and he's quite simply more marketable because of his name and the city where he plays.