Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
T.O. trade to Chicago rumor is apparently circulating per one of the fantasy message boards I visit.

He is good for one drama-free, producing year. If he came to Chicago it would probably be pretty good for the year. Past that, it would be yet another unmitigated disaster where T.O. completely tore apart a team from the inside out.

Im not surprised about the rumor though, it was just a matter of time before he started getting floated as trade bait, If he stays in Buffalo much longer it is going to get real bad

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
T.O. trade to Chicago rumor is apparently circulating per one of the fantasy message boards I visit.

This morning Adam Schefter speculated the Bears could look into acquiring him if the Bills make him available, anything you've seen since is likely the product of over exuberant internet people blowing idle speculation WAY out of proportion.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Cutler would definitely tell TO what he thinks.

What would you trade to Buffalo? The Bears don't have many high picks left.

Bennett, Iglacias, and a 2nd rounder?

Damn, are you insane? Nothing higher than a 5th. T.O. is in his mid 30s.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Cutler would definitely tell TO what he thinks.

What would you trade to Buffalo? The Bears don't have many high picks left.

Bennett, Iglacias, and a 2nd rounder?

The Bills will be lucky to get anything better than a single 4th round pick.

I have loved TO in a Bills uniform even if he hasn't produced, but they have to cut bait and get anything they can for him. I would be more than happy with a 4th round pick. The problem is that the Bills have atleast said that they aren't going to be making TO available before the trade deadline, though that doesn't mean they aren't shopping him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
McCoy is not a pro prospect. I'd bet he doesn't go in the first round. He's a shotgun QB 98% of the time. Clausen is a pro-style QB. If you mean what order they'll succeed, I'll change mine. If you meant in what order they will/should go in, I'm keeping mine.

Im talking about success possibility. I dont think much of Clausen at all.

The Bears could trade Iglesias and a 5th- IMO that would work for both sides. Unless an injury happens to Hester, Bennett, or Knox, there's no way Iglesias sees the field in the near future (as in 2-3 years). DA is our insurance guy if one of those 3 do get hurt.

However, I'd rather not. TO is not the same player, and he's going to take playing time away from Knox. You know TO isn't going to settle with sitting multiple plays out.

Also, TO has never won anything. With him playing, his team has never gotten to or won a Super Bowl (he didn't play in the NFC championship game when the Eagles got to Jacksonville for the Super Bowl, but when he did play in the game, they lost).

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Wow, it so would not take that much. The Bills would take a 4th, you offer a 5th.

The Bills have already gotten the season ticket sales out of signing him and most of the individual game sales. They'll be happy enough dropping the salary.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Except he had one of the best games in Superbowl history, given the circumstances.

1. T.O. is still convinced he can get one more big deal(given he has a solid 2009). He is going to do everything is his power to put up numbers to end the season.

2. If Owens was on the Bears, he is still the Bears best WR.

3. If he somehow becomes a malcontent, whats the worst that happens? You cut him, and it was a 3 million dollar mistake.

4.Dan Marino sucks.

1. What's your point? The bottom line is that you can't get a big deal next year if you sit on the sidelines because the Bears want to get Knox and Bennett more reps to continue to develop them.

2. Yeah, and if he was on Minnesota, Baltimore, San Diego, Miami, and San Francisco, he'd also be the best WR.

3. That's true. I just think no. He isn't an elite WR anymore, and he continues to drop passes more and more.

4. I never said Marino sucks. But Marino was never on 4 different teams for the same reason- he destroys locker rooms when he stays put there for awhile.

You're really going to insinuate that Owens was one of the reasons the Eagles didn't win that Super Bowl? I never questioned his toughness or work ethic after that, he basically was putting his career on the line.

Also, T.O. should not cost a player and a pick.

Edited by lostfan

1. What's your point? The bottom line is that you can't get a big deal next year if you sit on the sidelines because the Bears want to get Knox and Bennett more reps to continue to develop them.

That would be ludicrous. Knox and Bennett both would be able to play numerous downs, but TO is considerably better than either of them this year.

Did TO have a problem developing with Jerry Rice?

Or did perhaps Jerry Rice help TO?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
That would be ludicrous. Knox and Bennett both would be able to play numerous downs, but TO is considerably better than either of them this year.

Did TO have a problem developing with Jerry Rice?

Or did perhaps Jerry Rice help TO?

All I'm saying is that I doubt Lovie slows the progress of those 2 guys for TO. BTW- this is all a rumor and an idea. I highly doubt it happens.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
You're really going to insinuate that Owens was one of the reasons the Eagles didn't win that Super Bowl? I never questioned his toughness or work ethic after that, he basically was putting his career on the line.

Also, T.O. should not cost a player and a pick.

No, but he played in it, busted his a**, and they didn't win. He was supposed to be the cherry on top of Dallas winning a title, and they didn't.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
And the Bears have a defense that is getting older, along with the offensive line. Cashing in now might be a smart idea.

Correct. Which is why the Bears should be proactive and ahead of the curve.

Sound argument.

I agree. Which is why this situation makes all the sense in the world. He will be here for at most 12-14 games.

Agree to disagree, for once. I just don't want TO near this team. What have Bennett, Knox, and Hester not done this year for you to once again say- "I wish we had a great WR"? God forbid you ever being wrong. Like I said, I highly doubt this happens. Schefter said that perhaps a team who needs to overtake another team should try to pick him up, and he mentioned the Bears. Therefore, the whole country goes nuts declaring it a possibility. John Clayton just said that there's no way he leaves Buffalo.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Im talking about success possibility. I dont think much of Clausen at all.

Neither do I, he's basically just throwing jump balls up to great receivers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, he's been probably the best QB in the country this year (or certainly top 3) if you look at the numbers, but that doesn't really translate to the NFL. I also agree with the person who said the Pennington injury is a blessing in disguise for the Dolphins, and lastly, I lol @ the NFL players who are protesting the Limbaugh stuff. Do you really think there is a player in the NFL who would say no to a paycheck because of who the owner is? Or take less money to go to a team other than the Rams in free agency because of Rush? Because I don't, and regardless of how offensive some people might find him, that's what matters.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

TO was not the reason why the Eagles lost. He put on one of the greatest performances in Super Bowl history for a wideout, especially in his condition.

He'd help the Bears tremendously. Does he drop some balls? Yes, but at the same time, his positives on the field definitely outweight the negatives on the field. He would do the Bears wonders.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
TO was not the reason why the Eagles lost. He put on one of the greatest performances in Super Bowl history for a wideout, especially in his condition.

He'd help the Bears tremendously. Does he drop some balls? Yes, but at the same time, his positives on the field definitely outweight the negatives on the field. He would do the Bears wonders.

The one problem I have with a TO move is it's a move you make if you think you can win the Super Bowl right now, and I don't think that can be said about the Bears, even if TO is on the roster.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
The one problem I have with a TO move is it's a move you make if you think you can win the Super Bowl right now, and I don't think that can be said about the Bears, even if TO is on the roster.

Eh, it's debatable. Look at Arizona last year. They got hot at the right time and blasted their way to the Super Bowl which they almost won. A TO type move in which the West Coast offense which he is most familiar with, can really benefit Jay even greater.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 05:49 AM)
I really think that statement is over-rated in the NFL, a QB is going to be good because of his talents, coaching, and the team around him. The affect of watching another QB play for a season and giving him pointers is going to be minimal. Unless Henne had a maturity issue, drug issue, etc. that Pennington helped him get over he had little to do with the development of Henne. Not too mention, if Pennington wasnt there they would have some other veteran QB on the team giving him advice anyways.

That isn't overrated at all.

Chad Pennington is a pure professional through and through. You are trying to tell me that sitting behind Pennington and going through film with him and soaking as much as you can from one of the most accurate and smartest QBs in the league doesn't really matter?

It was more than just getting "advice". And it was more than just watching him play too. You also say that a QB is going to be good because of coaching. Well Pennington was like a really good QB coach for Henne so that pretty much bunks your statement that Pennington had little do with it.

Plus, you aren't a Dolphins fan you don't follow them, you don't know whats going on. I do. And I can tell you, Pennington was a big part of his development.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
Eh, it's debatable. Look at Arizona last year. They got hot at the right time and blasted their way to the Super Bowl which they almost won. A TO type move in which the West Coast offense which he is most familiar with, can really benefit Jay even greater.

The Bears would have to win 3 road games to get to Miami though, because the odds of them winning the division over Minnesota are very, very low, even if TO is brought in. TO would help Cutler, but he wouldn't fix the offensive line or secondary/defense in general issues. I wouldn't make the move since I think the Bears are a wild card team with TO and a wild card team without him, and I don't think you bring in a guy like that unless he makes you noticeably better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101