White Sox loser

Buehrle>Wood

Really disappointing game from the offense, as I've never seen a team take so many hittable pitches and swing at pitches out of the zone. Quentin's fly out in the 9th was disturbing, as it seems like he crushed it and the ball went nowhere. It's going to take him a while to get things going, and I hope he doesn't try to do too much at the plate. Oh, and someone tell our first baseman to stop trying to just make weak contact at the plate. If he's in that mindset, might as well sit him on the bench.

Gavin looked great though, just needs to keep the fastball down more consistently. Bullpen is definitely a strength of this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
Really disappointing game from the offense, as I've never seen a team take so many hittable pitches and swing at pitches out of the zone. Quentin's fly out in the 9th was disturbing, as it seems like he crushed it and the ball went nowhere. It's going to take him a while to get things going, and I hope he doesn't try to do too much at the plate. Oh, and someone tell our first baseman to stop trying to just make weak contact at the plate. If he's in that mindset, might as well sit him on the bench.

Gavin looked great though, just needs to keep the fastball down more consistently. Bullpen is definitely a strength of this team.

Yeah, we are going to pitch well, but offensively we won't be hitting until the weather gets better or we are in a dome. Still not going to be able to manufacture runs because our fastest runner is never on base, getz is a grinder, but he isn't a speedster. Alexei looks bad so far at the plate, too, dunno why. But I worried about his adjustment because the whole world knows he hits fastballs well, but not hooks.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:39 AM)
Yeah, we are going to pitch well, but offensively we won't be hitting until the weather gets better or we are in a dome. Still not going to be able to manufacture runs because our fastest runner is never on base, getz is a grinder, but he isn't a speedster. Alexei looks bad so far at the plate, too, dunno why. But I worried about his adjustment because the whole world knows he hits fastballs well, but not hooks.

or maybe Alexei just really struggles in cold weather? He's pulling off the ball so much. The pitch recognition seems off, but that's going to happen at the start of the season. I'm not worried about that, nor am I concerned about how the other AL Central teams are doing.

QUOTE (tommy @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Pitching did a good job, Gavin battled out there, can't win games without scoring runs.

That said I will be there tomorrow and White Sox will win the series.

It only took 2 games for us to get shut out at home :(

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
or maybe Alexei just really struggles in cold weather? He's pulling off the ball so much. The pitch recognition seems off, but that's going to happen at the start of the season. I'm not worried about that, nor am I concerned about how the other AL Central teams are doing.

It could be the fact that he's played in a tropical country his whole life, I'm not worried about Ramirez, besides didn't he have a slow start last year also? The only thing that continues to worry me is the fact that DeWayne Wise is our lead-off hitter, and hasn't reached first base or can't lay down a bunt every time he goes to the plate.. 0-8 aren't even 4th outfielder numbers, let getz lead off, but BA @ the bottom of the order.

I like our pitching staff, I hate our offense. Those were my thoughts after our first win, and they are my thoughts after our first loss at well. Hopefully the defense of Josh Fields the first 2 nights wasn't a mirage, because we need our infield to show some good glovework to make up for our outfield in terms of defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
I like our pitching staff, I hate our offense. Those were my thoughts after our first win, and they are my thoughts after our first loss at well. Hopefully the defense of Josh Fields the first 2 nights wasn't a mirage, because we need our infield to show some good glovework to make up for our outfield in terms of defense.

That was a hell of a throw from his knees, wasn't it?

I wouldn't worry too much about CQ, he was on and off in Spring training. He hit an opposite field HR against the As to deep left center, when he jammed himself, about 415 feet. He, just like Alexi, are warm weather hitters. Give them time. The majority of out hitters are power hitters, and it takes some time for them to get in rythm in real games. Always does. Only exception I've seen is Junior, who hit his 8th opening day HR in his career the other day for the Ms.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

Didn't Alexi start slow last year in the cold weather?

That said,

BAD NEWS

-It's baaaaaack... station-to-station baseball that lives or dies with the middle or the order

-Dwayne Wise probably wouldn't be getting booed TWO GAMES IN if it wasn't all strikeouts almost, and he could bunt better than a little-leaguer

-Does anybody at this point on this team have anything resembling speed? The only person I saw trying to steal last night got gunned down.

GOOD NEWS (Maybe)

-So far, so good with the pitching. If Buehrle is all over the place yet only gives up two runs, that's a good sign. Only two runs last night: good sign. Linebrink looked great

-Greinke always gives us fits, so no surprise there

-Losing sucks, but we can still take the series which is all that matters

If the leadoff position turns into an anchor in the first month or two, expect to see JD packing his bags. I can't see Ozzie or KW letting this drag out for long.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Didn't Alexi start slow last year in the cold weather?

That said,

BAD NEWS

-It's baaaaaack... station-to-station baseball that lives or dies with the middle or the order

-Dwayne Wise probably wouldn't be getting booed TWO GAMES IN if it wasn't all strikeouts almost, and he could bunt better than a little-leaguer

-Does anybody at this point on this team have anything resembling speed? The only person I saw trying to steal last night got gunned down.

GOOD NEWS (Maybe)

-So far, so good with the pitching. If Buehrle is all over the place yet only gives up two runs, that's a good sign. Only two runs last night: good sign. Linebrink looked great

-Greinke always gives us fits, so no surprise there

-Losing sucks, but we can still take the series which is all that matters

If the leadoff position turns into an anchor in the first month or two, expect to see JD packing his bags. I can't see Ozzie or KW letting this drag out for long.

The Sox usually lite up Greinke at the Cell. But I think Greinke is gonna have a big year for KC.