Should the Sox Retaliate for the CQ Beaning?

BaseballNick

Greinke just missed hitting TCQ in the head with a fastball in the first inning last night. Carlos got out of the way, but it seemed like a message was sent. Then, in the very next AB, Greinke pegged Carlos in the back with a fastball up and in. Greinke seemed to have pretty good control all night, so it's hard to argue that those pitches were unintentional. What do you think?

1. Beaning means hitting them in the head, which did not happen.

2. No way it was intentional, though I am sure he was trying to throw inside, to get him off the plate.

3. TCQ's reaction wasn't even that bad, the catcher just got nervous, he wasn't going after the pitcher or anything.

4. There is nothing to retaliate for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:05 AM)
2. No way it was intentional, though I am sure he was trying to throw inside, to get him off the plate.

Not sure about that. Quentin has a habit of hanging over the plate, and Grinke almost plucked him in the head before actually hitting him in his next AB. Given that Greinke wasn't exactly struggling with his command last night, it appeared to me that he was definitely trying to send a message. Whether or not that message involved plucking him (rather than brushing him back) is unclear.

I'm disappointed that Ozzie didn't retaliate with at least a brushback. He needs to protect his players.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
1. Beaning means hitting them in the head, which did not happen.

3. TCQ's reaction wasn't even that bad, the catcher just got nervous, he wasn't going after the pitcher or anything.

4. There is nothing to retaliate for.

Agreed, it looked to me that Quentin saw Olivo step out over the plate, so he was gonna walk around him.

Should we purposely hit someone, no. But we should play hard and beat the crap out of them today, but that should be the teams attitude everyday.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Not sure about that. Quentin has a habit of hanging over the plate, and Grinke almost plucked him in the head before actually hitting him in his next AB. Given that Greinke wasn't exactly struggling with his command last night, it appeared to me that he was definitely trying to send a message. Whether or not that message involved plucking him (rather than brushing him back) is unclear.

I'm disappointed that Ozzie didn't retaliate with at least a brushback. He needs to protect his players.

Ozzie doesn't throw the ball, Its up to the teammates to protect each other. Seeing that we have an abundance of games left with them. I think now was not the time if it was intentional.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
I say put one in Teahan's head. He was hit intentionally after he didn't back off the plate.

You never throw at someone's head. If you want to drill them, you throw just behind them and aim for the middle of the numbers in the back.

I do think Greinke was throwing at TCQ, but I don't want to see anyone get suspended or hurt, so I say don't retaliate (not now at least). Greinke's control was too good for those two pitches not to be intentional. He missed the stike zone by a wide margin on both pitches. I agree with most of you in that we move forward a focus on winning. I just wanted to get a sense for what everyone thought.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
Ozzie doesn't throw the ball, Its up to the teammates to protect each other.

Judging by his reaction afterwards, I'm pretty sure that Ozzie explicitly instructed Sean Tracey to hit a batter a few years ago.

I can see the argument that a 2-0 game in early April may not be the best time for retaliation. But if it happens again in this series, something will have to be done.

They should retaliate with hard slides and solid play. I don't want the inside fastball taken away from Johnny Danks today. We need this game because even though the Royals have gotten better they still play in Kansas City, they still wear blue uniforms, and they still have holes all over the place. We need to take this series.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
I really dont think that CQ can get too upset with getting hit the way he hovers over the plate. Grienke wasn't throwing at him IMO. Just trying to back him of the plate. I would want our pitchers to do the same thing.

The middle of his back wasn't hanging over the plate. if it had hit him in the hands or something might be a different story. He aimed in there, his control was way too good yesterday for it to have been a mistake. He may not have intended to hit him or throw near his head, but if he didnt move the first time, it would have hit him in the noggin. I say get a lead and then plunk Olivo since he is such a whiny little b**** anyway. The way he jumped out there so fast, he knew right where that pitch was going.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
I say put one in Teahan's head. He was hit intentionally after he didn't back off the plate.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
The Royals pulled this same s*** with JD last year, I am fully in favor of pegging one of those uppity f***s in the face.

Pathetic.

Anyone see the spiking that Aviles gave AJ at first? I know he was sliding back into first, but he lifted that foot a little.

I agree with Steve...get some f***ing hits and blow this team out...there's your retaliation.