Getz takes the leadoff spot

soxfan3530

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
In no way do I want BA to be gone, I think his defense can add alot to this team, especially with the current CF situation in such poor shape, but I have seen nothing to indicate Ozzie will ever give him a shot

Yesterday everyone was saying that Ozzie would never drop Wise out of leadoff and that has already been done. He may be stubborn, but Ozzie isnt going to keep throwing Wise out in CF if his bat and his defense blow. I still think BA is going to get the job and will be batting 9th by the time May rolls around.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
At this point the Sox should just trade or release BA. If they're not even going to use him as a late inning defensive replacement he has zero role with this org, give the guy a chance to latch on with a team and contribute

Bingo. He is the definition of an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Wow, that was fast. Good move though. I do have some fear that Getz only gets 2 games there too, but I hope not.

Hopefully, if Wise continues to struggle, this moves Brian into the starting role. And later in the season, if Wise still sucks, we'll probably see Kroeger or Cook take Wise's place when he is released.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
And who plays CF when Wise goes 1 for 47 or breaks his ankle?

Don't forget, I have a man crush on Brian Anderson. I want him to play, and I want him to start, but apparently Ozzie just hates him. I just think if hes gonna sit on the bench and rot, they should get rid of him.

And just to put it out there: he needs to bring back the golden locks. :wub:

If the Sox stick with a strict platoon in CF and the rotations hold up (which they likely will not) Brian is looking at 6 starts in the month of April.

Sun 12th - Liriano MIN

Sat 18th - Kazmir TBR

Tue 21 - Hendrickson BAL

Sat 25 - Romero TOR

Mon 27 - Rowland-Smith SEA

Wed 29 - Bedard SEA

If 2007, the first month and a half of 2008 and Tuesday are any indication don't hold your breath on seeing him as a late inning defensive replacement in close games.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Bingo. He is the definition of an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Even If we had a valid CF he still would be an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Edited by Soxpranos

The move had to be made, and hopefully it's a permanent one. It's a lot of pressure of Getz, and there'll be times where he'll struggle, but he's a rookie and we need to remember that, but I think he's up for the job.

I'd rather see Alexei in the #2 spot though than A.J, but hopefully this gets A.J and Wise going.

Maybe they want Alexei lower down the order while the weather is still cold also.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Wow, that was fast. Good move though. I do have some fear that Getz only gets 2 games there too, but I hope not.

Hopefully, if Wise continues to struggle, this moves Brian into the starting role. And later in the season, if Wise still sucks, we'll probably see Kroeger or Cook take Wise's place when he is released.

Actually, never mind on Cook - he hits right, as do the three starting outfielders in that scenario. They'd get a lefty to replace Wise, probably Kroeger.

At least ozzie sacked up and admitted his wrong by taking him out of the leadoff spot. I personally would have stuck with my decision for a longer time to avoid immediate embarassment after so many arm chair fans outcoached you.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
In no way do I want BA to be gone, I think his defense can add alot to this team, especially with the current CF situation in such poor shape, but I have seen nothing to indicate Ozzie will ever give him a shot

The Sox have played 2 games. Relax.

Throughout Spring, Ozzie was talking about how Anderson was going to leadoff versus lefties. That's the most confidence I've ever seen Ozzie have in Anderson, and that can grow pretty quickly if he plays well. If Wise has another couple ohfers, Anderson may get a shot against a righty, and anything can happen from there.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
At least ozzie sacked up and admitted his wrong by taking him out of the leadoff spot. I personally would have stuck with my decision for a longer time to avoid immediate embarassment after so many arm chair fans outcoached you.

Honestly, I doubt this was Ozzie's decision. In a Trib article this morning he said:

"I'm not going to change my mind," Guillen said. "I will change my mind when it is necessary to change my mind. I'm pretty optimistic this kid can do the job.

"He played well in spring training and he will play well at the big-league level. He gives me another couple of days or a week [of failure] and then I would change my mind. But it's too early to think about it."

Trib

I think KW requested that he reconsider the lead off position, otherwise that's a really quick change of heart.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
I'm too lazy to look it up, but who did KC give up for Crisp? And what would have been the equivalent from the Sox org?

Basically, you'd need a 27 year old pre-arb relief pitcher who put up a sub-3 ERA last year. The only guy on our roster who fits that description is Bobby Jenks, and he's quite a bit more valuable. If the Sox manage to develop something out of Link or Russell, that might count, but they're still a while away from that level at the least.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
I think KW requested that he reconsider the lead off position, otherwise that's a really quick change of heart.

It took 2 games last year for Alexei to go from starting in CF to the bench with Q taking over LF.

This is Ozzie's normal pace.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
It took 2 games last year for Alexei to go from starting in CF to the bench with Q taking over LF.

This is Ozzie's normal pace.

I'm basing it on his statements, not his past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
A picture is worth a thousand actions, and pictures speak louder than words.

Wait...something's wrong here...

HA. Well my point is only that everything indicated he wanted Wise to take the job and give him the opportunity without having to look over his shoulder. Suddenly, Ozzie's mind is changed? Maybe it was his decision, but I think there was some influencing.