Getz takes the leadoff spot

soxfan3530

I hate to complain, but Getz takes over leadoff, so WHY is Wise still in CF? Call me a whiner, but this move seems MORE idiotic to me since Wise seemed to be only leading off because of some imaginary hitting abilities he was projected to have. BA can't hit much either, but plays a GG caliber CF. Call me selfish, but I'm even MORE pissed off now...

Edited by TheBigHurt

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. we know wise's ceiling, and it's not high.

BA needs to get a chance to play almost every day. let's see what we have. we know what we have in Wise. A 5th OF. NOT A 4TH OF.

Just put BA in center, accept the s***ty ABs, and give him a day off once in a while against righties. He will save us some runs in center, if nothing else.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I hate to complain, but Getz takes over leadoff, so WHY is Wise still in CF? Call me a whiner, but this move seems MORE idiotic to me since Wise seemed to be only leading off because of some imaginary hitting abilities he was projected to have. BA can't hit much either, but plays a GG caliber CF. Call me selfish, but I'm even MORE pissed off now...

At least for now, it's a Platoon situation, and if Wise and Anderson put up exactly their numbers from last year then the platoon will produce quite a few more runs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Getz has been too patient at the plate, and he's taking very hittable pitches and falling behind in the count. Hopefully with experience comes better top of the order instincts.

Yes, you're right, he is going down a very Swisher type road right now. Luckily he's just a rookie and he still has to develop.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Getz has been too patient at the plate, and he's taking very hittable pitches and falling behind in the count. Hopefully with experience comes better top of the order instincts.

Yea his track record will indicate that he'll just need more time, though still is a waaaay better two hole hitter (minor league track record also proves that) but he is our best option up there. He'll be ok though.

This will be the 4th year where Brian Anderson will not get consistent AB's.......anyone think of that. He has not gotten a regular set of AB's since 2005. I believe the White Sox totally f***ed up any chance of him making it as a an MLB player.

Pathetic that Wise is still in there, s*** play lillibridge.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
This will be the 4th year where Brian Anderson will not get consistent AB's.......anyone think of that. He has not gotten a regular set of AB's since 2005. I believe the White Sox totally f***ed up any chance of him making it as a an MLB player.

3 and 2006*

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm too lazy to look it up, but who did KC give up for Crisp? And what would have been the equivalent from the Sox org?

I'm too lazy to see if anyone responded already, but the Royals acquired Crisp by trading away a reliever named Ramon Ramirez.

As for who Ramon Ramirez would be equivalent to in our organization... probably Carrasco or Richard. (Actually, more like a pitcher in skill level in-between the groups of Jenks/Dotel/Thornton/Linebrink and Carrasco/MacDougal/Richard, which is a middle-area where we don't seem to have. I'd actually rank Ramon Ramirez right in-between both groups).

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)

You're saying all that after seeing Brian Anderson strike out in his at-bat today? Brian Anderson sucks, dude. I'd still rather have Wise playing CF because he still has pop. BA and Lillibridge shouldn't even be on this team.

The next problem comes Saturday when the Twins start left-hander Francisco Liriano.

Getz bats left-handed, and Brian Anderson will start in center field in place of Wise.

"I might lead off Josh Fields," Guillen said. "Josh Fields is not a typical leadoff guy, but he will get on base and will give you good at-bats."

tribune.com/sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
The next problem comes Saturday when the Twins start left-hander Francisco Liriano.

Getz bats left-handed, and Brian Anderson will start in center field in place of Wise.

"I might lead off Josh Fields," Guillen said. "Josh Fields is not a typical leadoff guy, but he will get on base and will give you good at-bats."

tribune.com/sports

I'm fine with that.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
You're saying all that after seeing Brian Anderson strike out in his at-bat today? Brian Anderson sucks, dude. I'd still rather have Wise playing CF because he still has pop. BA and Lillibridge shouldn't even be on this team.

I will say this as nicely as possible. Dwayne Wise is a 31 year old minor leaguer who hasa a career .218 MLB batting average and a .254 minor league average. He does nothing will.

Brian Anderson was a first round draft pick that had success in the minor leagues who I believe has been screwed over by the White Sox in that he was made to be the scapegoat in 2006 and has not gotten consistent ab's since.

If you think Wise as more power than Anderson than we will have to agreee to disagree. There is no single phase of the game that Dwayne Wise is better than Brian Anderson at.

Have you seen Wise this year. To compare Anderson's one at-bat.........I'm done this is a waste of time.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 03:57 AM)
I like Getz but it's not like he's Rickey Henderson. He's going to be Getz.

Yes. And if Getz turns out to be the Getz from the minors the Sox will have a decent lead off hitter. You don't need a HOFer at every position to have a good team. But you do need someone competent.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
I will say this as nicely as possible. Dwayne Wise is a 31 year old minor leaguer who hasa a career .218 MLB batting average and a .254 minor league average. He does nothing will.

Brian Anderson was a first round draft pick that had success in the minor leagues who I believe has been screwed over by the White Sox in that he was made to be the scapegoat in 2006 and has not gotten consistent ab's since.

If you think Wise as more power than Anderson than we will have to agreee to disagree. There is no single phase of the game that Dwayne Wise is better than Brian Anderson at.

Have you seen Wise this year. To compare Anderson's one at-bat.........I'm done this is a waste of time.

I agree that BA should be starting in CF over Wise because we have no other options,BA hasn't shown us anything offensively,he played all 2006 and he sucked big time...he should be out there based on his D...

Wise is a bit faster and a better baserunner than BA, but that's it.

Powerwise, I guess they're about even...with both striking out a ton and both capable of hitting 22-25 homers if they played everyday...but with a .220-.240 average in all likelihood.

Wise doesn't have a bad arm, and BA's a bit overrated (just like Rowand was) in terms of his arm strength, but BA gets the advantage there.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
I agree that BA should be starting in CF over Wise because we have no other options,BA hasn't shown us anything offensively,he played all 2006 and he sucked big time...he should be out there based on his D...

You know what pisses me off? At the beginning of 2006, Ozzie said all BA has to do is play good defense and hit as best he could. He then pulled BA because he wasn't hitting enough and put an incompetent Mackowiak, in center. IMO, that decision cost the Sox a playoff spot (Balta would probably agree :D ).

Now we have Wise in there and he sucks. BA should be starting and batting 9th. In the long run it will be better for the team.

(I've been drinking, so disregard if this makes no sense).

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
You know what pisses me off? At the beginning of 2006, Ozzie said all BA has to do is play good defense and hit as best he could. He then pulled BA because he wasn't hitting enough and put an incompetent Mackowiak, in center. IMO, that decision cost the Sox a playoff spot (Balta would probably agree :D ).

On that of course I'll agree.

But then I'll point out where you're wrong...that Ozzie never had any intention of treating Anderson as a full time player in 2006 (although his attitude may have contributed to that.) Rob Mackowiak was starting in CF in game 2 of the regular season. He got his largest number of at bats of the season in May (although it's hard to disagree with that because he was absolutely raking with the bat). It was a platoon from day 1, and neither the fact that Anderson's bat slightly improved during the season, the fact that Anderson hit righties better than he hit lefties, or the fact that Mack hit .194 in September was going to change that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
On that of course I'll agree.

But then I'll point out where you're wrong...that Ozzie never had any intention of treating Anderson as a full time player in 2006 (although his attitude may have contributed to that.) Rob Mackowiak was starting in CF in game 2 of the regular season. He got his largest number of at bats of the season in May (although it's hard to disagree with that because he was absolutely raking with the bat). It was a platoon from day 1, and neither the fact that Anderson's bat slightly improved during the season, the fact that Anderson hit righties better than he hit lefties, or the fact that Mack hit .194 in September was going to change that.

I don't know what Oz intended, but I have no evidence to say you are wrong.