Nick Adenhart Killed in Car Crash

Dick Allen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
I actually said that a long time ago and was merely continuing a current discussion.

No, it obviously had never occurred to you to not drive drunk until this thread. You've been called out.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
RIP... That Eclipse was mangled. I thought it was a convertible. It looks like he took the hardest hit being the passenger.

Who was he riding with?

Did a 16 year old fat girl pick him up on the way home from mini-putt?

Working in an ER I see alot of kids pass away way to early and it never gets any easier to take, it just seems so unfair. Its heartbreaking everytime and I dont even know them.

R.I.P. Nick

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Its so annoying to read these stupid RIP threads and see so many people claim "I will never drink and drive again" just because some baseball player dies when ordinary people die from this ALL the time and its never mentioned.

Did I or anybody else insinuate that drinking and driving was cool until this incident? My situation was over 2 years ago. And I haven't gotten behind the wheel of a car drunk since. I didn't all of a sudden become reformed yesterday.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
Did I or anybody else insinuate that drinking and driving was cool until this incident? My situation was over 2 years ago. And I haven't gotten behind the wheel of a car drunk since. I didn't all of a sudden become reformed yesterday.

I wasn't trying to call anyone out by that, it was more directed towards how you only really see this when a professional athlete/celebrity has it happen to them when it happens countless times every day somewhere without the same response like they are any different.

Edit - And I drink and drive all the time, so clearly im not trying to point you guys out and say you're horrible or something.

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
Edit - And I drink and drive all the time, so clearly im not trying to point you guys out and say you're horrible or something.

Please stop drinking and driving.

Please.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
I wasn't trying to call anyone out by that, it was more directed towards how you only really see this when a professional athlete/celebrity has it happen to them when it happens countless times every day somewhere without the same response like they are any different.

So whats worse, being shocked by the incident and vowing never to drink and drive again?

OR

Saying that its stupid to be shocked by this incident because its a commonplace event that can be avoided, YET you still dont do anything to change your own habit of drinking and driving?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
Please stop.

I will not.

I am an excellent drunk driver, and when you see stories like this there is always a main cause (I.E. blowing through a red light) that is totally unnecessary.

Sorry, but I see no harm in driving 2 miles to my house from the bar at 2:30 in the morning when there is rarely a car in sight aside from people leaving the bar and cops, a lot of them, and I have never been pulled over. Why? Because I drive the speed limit, I stay in my lane, I don't run red lights or roll through stop signs.

There has only been one time in my life when I was too f***ed up and couldn't drive home and that was after getting hammered at the bar and then taking some colossal rips off the bong and even THEN I was smart enough to tell myself, while extremely f***ed up, that I was too gone to drive and I didn't. Other than that, I am a very coherent drunk..

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
So whats worse, being shocked by the incident and vowing never to drink and drive again?

OR

Saying that its stupid to be shocked by this incident because its a commonplace event that can be avoided, YET you still dont do anything to change your own habit of drinking and driving?

I don't need to change anything, I don't live in Los Angeles.. I don't live in the actual city of Houston.. I live in a place where driving home at 2-3 in the morning means you are generally the only car visible.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:24 AM)
I don't need to change anything, I don't live in Los Angeles.. I don't live in the actual city of Houston.. I live in a place where driving home at 2-3 in the morning means you are generally the only car visible.

So, youre saying that drinking and driving doesnt affect you. Fair enough. Maybe others are in a similar position where it also hasn't hit them personally, and maybe seeing an athlete like Nick be killed by a drunk driver sends a wake up message to them. Wheres the fault in that?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
So, youre saying that drinking and driving doesnt affect you. Fair enough. Maybe others are in a similar position where it also hasn't hit them personally, and maybe seeing an athlete like Nick be killed by a drunk driver sends a wake up message to them. Wheres the fault in that?

There is no fault in it

I was merely saying that I personally find it annoying that while many people every day die from drunk drivers the only time its really ever brought to attention is when its someone who is either a professional athlete or a celebrity. Why does it have to be someone "famous" to send a message? There is no difference between someone who can throw a baseball good and Joe Schmo in Denver, Colorado.

If I lived in a large city or it was like early in the evening, I wouldn't risk it. However, I feel comfortable in my ability to get myself home safely without driving like madman in my setting.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
There is no fault in it

I was merely saying that I personally find it annoying that while many people every day die from drunk drivers the only time its really ever brought to attention is when its someone who is either a professional athlete or a celebrity. Why does it have to be someone "famous" to send a message? There is no difference between someone who can throw a baseball good and Joe Schmo in Denver, Colorado.

If I lived in a large city or it was like early in the evening, I wouldn't risk it. However, I feel comfortable in my ability to get myself home safely without driving like madman in my setting.

Well, personally I have never had any personal contact with anyone who has been in an drunk driving accident, so far. So, my largest contact with hearing about these incidents have been ones told my cheesy school videos, or famous athletes who have been involved. And Ive lived in urban and suburban areas, so I should be more exposed to this I guess. Basically, when famous people are involved in these incidents it just reinforces to people that "oh s***, this is real. this can really happen to me." I think that same message is applied to people who know friends, family, etc who have had similar experiences.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
Well, personally I have never had any personal contact with anyone who has been in an drunk driving accident, so far. So, my largest contact with hearing about these incidents have been ones told my cheesy school videos, or famous athletes who have been involved. And Ive lived in urban and suburban areas, so I should be more exposed to this I guess. Basically, when famous people are involved in these incidents it just reinforces to people that "oh s***, this is real. this can really happen to me." I think that same message is applied to people who know friends, family, etc who have had similar experiences.

And I agree with that, but what I don't agree with is it having to be someone famous to get a message across. The message should still be the same regardless of who is involved.

And as far as movies and school videos go, they are always overblown into trying to scare people into not doing something. Have you ever put on those "drunk goggles"? Looks NOTHING like it does when you are drunk, its more like for the person who has the worst eyesight in the world without glasses on. Some people are just incredibly sloppy drunks, while others are not.

And in somewhat the same type of situation, how about the man who got killed at the Angels game the other day when getting into some fight. I don't recall seeing anything on this site about that, however, if it was a professional athlete who was killed in a fight we would all be giving our prayers and saying "oh what a tragedy".

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Its so annoying to read these stupid RIP threads and see so many people claim "I will never drink and drive again" just because some baseball player dies when ordinary people die from this ALL the time and its never mentioned.

Actually, my own personal policy has been in place about 10 years after an incident when I probably should not have been driving, but actually got hit in a head on collision with a drunk driver. I was just coming off a stop sign here in Chicago and there was a cop right behind me. I think I was probably bordering on the limit and was a little nervous due to the cop's presence. As I got passed the intersection, the oncomming car came into my lane. It was a 2 lane road with cars parked on both sides. While it probably took less than a second, watching the incident unfold in my mind was like slow motion. I had nowhere to go. Even at the slower speed, my car was totalled. I hit my head on the windshield even with a seat belt on. I never wore seat belts, but for some reason I put it on that night. Although I know there really wasn't anything I could do in that situation to avoid the accident (besides not being there) the other drivers drunkeness, (he went into my lane while adjusting his stereo) and my borderline condition made me realize that I couldn't and shouldn't be driving after having drinks. I won't even if I have just 1 that same night. Basically, if I were to be given a breathalyzer and would blow anything but a 0.0, I will not drive under any circumstance, and as I said earlier, its pretty easy for me because I have a wife who can drive and she doesn't drink and I live in the city where taxis are plentiful.

Edited by Dick Allen

This just looks so odd to me:

RECENT INJURIES & TRANSACTIONS

4/9 A. Amezaga, FLA, CF Sent to minors for rehabilitation

N. Adenhart, LAA, SP Deceased

D. Nippert, TEX, RP Sent to minors for rehabilitation

B. Upton, TAM, CF Sent to minors for rehabilitation

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
I will not.

I am an excellent drunk driver, and when you see stories like this there is always a main cause (I.E. blowing through a red light) that is totally unnecessary.

Sorry, but I see no harm in driving 2 miles to my house from the bar at 2:30 in the morning when there is rarely a car in sight aside from people leaving the bar and cops, a lot of them, and I have never been pulled over. Why? Because I drive the speed limit, I stay in my lane, I don't run red lights or roll through stop signs.

There has only been one time in my life when I was too f***ed up and couldn't drive home and that was after getting hammered at the bar and then taking some colossal rips off the bong and even THEN I was smart enough to tell myself, while extremely f***ed up, that I was too gone to drive and I didn't. Other than that, I am a very coherent drunk..

Your point regarding overreaction to the commonplace on account of celebrity is well taken. With all due respect, your rationalization of your drunk driving is not.

I'll venture to guess that the majority of drunk driving accidents involve drivers with attitudes similar to yours. I don't know you, and apologize for sounding so judgmental, but I highly doubt you're as different from the rest of us as you seem to imply. If I'm wrong, I apologize and congratulate you, but even if your conduct has and remains "victimless," your behavior is still unrepentently criminal.

Please reconsider, if not for your sake, then for your family's (and, in case we ever attend the same ballgame, my own). Peace.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
Your point regarding overreaction to the commonplace on account of celebrity is well taken. With all due respect, your rationalization of your drunk driving is not.

I'll venture to guess that the majority of drunk driving accidents involve drivers with attitudes similar to yours. I don't know you, and apologize for sounding so judgmental, but I highly doubt you're as different from the rest of us as you seem to imply. If I'm wrong, I apologize and congratulate you, but even if your conduct has and remains "victimless," your behavior is still unrepentently criminal.

Please reconsider, if not for your sake, then for your family's (and, in case we ever attend the same ballgame, my own). Peace.

I think most have a sense they are driving a little better than they really are after a few belts. Its like when you go out with your friends and get loopy everyone seems normal, having a good time. The next week you meet up with the same group after they have been drinking for a while and you're sober as a judge, they are acting the same as before, but they don't seem the same. You notice their intoxication a little better. You are supposed to drive defensively. When you've been drinking, your reflexes slow, so even if an incident isn't because of being a little tipsy, someone may cut you off or something similar and if you were sober you may have avoided trouble, but a couple of drinks in you may be the difference between life and death, not only for you but for everyone involved.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
I will not.

You are? Your comment in the ShamWow hooker thread disagrees with this comment. :D

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)

Just about all drunk drivers think they can drive fine. That's the problem. If you rarely encounter other cars in your area, that's great. But if you do, and even if it's the other driver, not you, making the dumb move, your ability to respond accordingly to protect yourself is going to be diminished if you've been drinking. You're asking for trouble. If you ever get in an accident while you're drunk, even if it isn't otherwise your fault, you could be in a very difficult situation.