Owens the 4th outfielder in Charlotte...

JPN366

The Sox also got rid of a much better player in Tim Raines, Jr. to let him hack in Charlotte. I cannot even begin to understand such unbelievable favoritism to such a crappy baseball player. I still have worries that if the Sox finally realize Wise doesn't need to be in CF they'll respond by having him swap places with Owens.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
The Sox also got rid of a much better player in Tim Raines, Jr. to let him hack in Charlotte. I cannot even begin to understand such unbelievable favoritism to such a crappy baseball player. I still have worries that if the Sox finally realize Wise doesn't need to be in CF they'll respond by having him swap places with Owens.

Saying Tim Raines Jr is a better player than Jerry Owens is like saying gonorrhea is better than syphilis.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)

I can't believe I'm defending Jerry Owens in any way but to say Tim Raines Jr. is a much better player is ill-informed. Raines has not played in the major leagues for 5 years and has a career OPS 100 points lower than Owens. He may be a much better AAA player, a level he's probably been at for 7 or 8 years, but unless you live in Charlotte and go to Knights games regularly, who really cares? Neither would help much at the major league level, but Owens would be the better bet. I remember when Raines Jr. was just a kid and Raines Sr. was a White Sox. There was talk that Jr. was going to be a star. He obviously didn't get enough of his dad's genes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
I can't believe I'm defending Jerry Owens in any way but to say Tim Raines Jr. is a much better player is ill-informed. Raines has not played in the major leagues for 5 years and has a career OPS 100 points lower than Owens. He may be a much better AAA player, a level he's probably been at for 7 or 8 years, but unless you live in Charlotte and go to Knights games regularly, who really cares? Neither would help much at the major league level, but Owens would be the better bet. I remember when Raines Jr. was just a kid and Raines Sr. was a White Sox. There was talk that Jr. was going to be a star. He obviously didn't get enough of his dad's genes.

They're both minor league lifers and neither would help at all at the Major League level unless they were brought in to pinch run. However, Raines Jr. slugged over .500 the last two years in Triple A and is only 1 year older than Owens, and just as fast. Raines would have been more valuable off the bench in Charlotte than Owens is. Owens shouldn't even be in the organization at this point. .284/.361/.366 was Owens' best AVG/OBP/SLG since the 2005 season in Birmingham and Raines has exceeded all of those numbers the last two years in Triple A except OBP (.346) in 2008. Again, they both suck, but Raines is the better career minor leaguer. He can also play CF.

Very, very few position players in all of professional baseball are worse than Jerry Owens. There are probably as many players in the minors right now who are worse than Jerry Owens as there are players in the minors right now who will get serious consideration for the Hall of Fame once their careers are over. Owens has one tool and he doesn't even know how to use it.