Any ideas for our bullpen?

caulfield12

Is there anyone in AAA or AA that would be clearly better than MacDougal and Carrasco? I think MacDougal is about one more appearance like tonight from getting released unconditionally for the good of the organization...but Carrasco might have been "lightning in a bottle" for one-half season and we probably will need to look somewhere else for the dreaded 6th and 7th spots in the pen.

Egbert? Russell? Broadway?

Are there any relievers who were DFA'ed at the end of ST that are worth a look?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
Jeff Nelson? Aug. Montero? Sean Tracey? David Aardsma?

How can MacDougal have a 95-97 MPH fastball and have NO confidence in it at all??? We'll never figure it out I guess....he just throws slider after slider.

hahahahahah augustin montera....oh man those were fun days

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
Jeff Nelson? Aug. Montero? Sean Tracey? David Aardsma?

How can MacDougal have a 95-97 MPH fastball and have NO confidence in it at all??? We'll never figure it out I guess....he just throws slider after slider.

His fastball is around 92 mph these days. That plus fastball was in KC during a different era in baseball. MacDougal is a mental midget though, as I've heard he makes Jenks seem like a rocket scientist.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
What happened to Franklyn German?

German would have been an option 8-10 years ago when he was still a prospect...he just doesn't have an explosive fastball anymore.

MacDougal did go to Clemson, lol....any pitchers who went to university in South Carolina should be rejected, except for Roberto Hernandez (USC-Aiken)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
There were a lot of bargains available towards the end of this offseason, and I guess we were out of money and couldn't sign anyone.

Juan cruz was a steal for the royals.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Poreda and Egbert.

Poreda is just not ready, he needs a plus pitcher to compliment the fastball. His fastball still seems rather shaky, looks flat at times. Egbert is getting to the age of now or never, though his periphs were solid last season. He will likely have to dominate early on to have a legit chance at the roster.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
What happened to Franklyn German?

He was reassigned due to his suckitude.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
bret prinz? ryan buckvich? dewon day? mike myers? andy sisco? heath phillips?

man oh man that 07 year was painful

EW.

You're going to tell me that Mcdougal and Carrasco have more upside then Poreda and Egbert? If they're ever going to figure it out it might as well be at the major league level. I say we give Poreda and Egbert a month or so in the minors, see what happens, and then bring them up. Ideally, we'll be able to phase Pordeda into the rotation by the All-Star break, and bring up Link.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
You're going to tell me that Mcdougal and Carrasco have more upside then Poreda and Egbert? If they're ever going to figure it out it might as well be at the major league level. I say we give Poreda and Egbert a month or so in the minors, see what happens, and then bring them up. Ideally, we'll be able to phase Pordeda into the rotation by the All-Star break, and bring up Link.

Poreda in to the rotation by the all star break is no where near ideal. Poreda taking one of the 2 openings next year is ideal.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)

Macdougal will be gone sooner rather than later unless if the unexpected transpires. I like to think carrasco got by on smoke and mirrors, he is far from a long term option, short term for that matter either.

My point is you do not bring up someone for the sake of of bringing them up... though it sometimes comes to that due to desperation.

I think I'd rather keep Poreda in the minors to work on his pitches and development.

I wouldn't mind calling Egbert up, I think he's due.

I think I'd prefer getting rid of MacDougal, but keep Carrasco a little longer.

Also, I think we should look for a free agent reliever. I actually prefer having someone like Gaudin instead of MacDougal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Nobody has started a game thread yet, but looking at the pitching matchup tomorrow, can you believe we are looking at a 1-4 start with all the games played at home? My god.

Even with our team last year, we were pretty bad on the road.

Here's a pretty realistic scenario for the next 10 days.

1-1 versus Minn (2-4)

1-2 at DET (3-6)

1-3 at TB (4-9)

1-2 at BALT (5-11)

The way things are going now, 6-10 or 5-11 isn't going to surprise me very much at all. Maybe 7-9 if we're being REALLY REALLY optimistic.

Luckily, CLE is 0-4 and doing worse than us so far, but DET is really getting some good starting pitching so far, with the exception of arguably their best pitcher, Verlander.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Even with our team last year, we were pretty bad on the road.

Here's a pretty realistic scenario for the next 10 days.

1-1 versus Minn (2-4)

1-2 at DET (3-6)

1-3 at TB (4-9)

1-2 at BALT (5-11)

The way things are going now, 6-10 or 5-11 isn't going to surprise me very much at all. Maybe 7-9 if we're being REALLY REALLY optimistic.

Luckily, CLE is 0-4 and doing worse than us so far, but DET is really getting some good starting pitching so far, with the exception of arguably their best pitcher, Verlander.

How is that realistic at all? It's possible, but far from realistic. Ever since the '05 season I believe we've played Detroit tough. We only sucked against them when they were the worst, or one of the worst, teams in all of baseball. Tampa Bay isn't like a juggernaut or anything; they're very good, but also very beatable. It's not like we're getting the Yanks or BoSox top 2/3 starters thrown at us, although I bet we'd definitely lose the first game in the dome. Baltimore f***ing blows, no reason we can't sweep that one.

I don't think we're hitting Liriano, but I could definitely see us going 7-5 over that stretch, winning the series in Detroit and Baltimore plus breaking even in Tampa. I guess I just have no idea whatsoever why you'd pencil us in at 1-2 at Baltimore.

BTW, Carlos is hitting the ball with authority now. The back end of our pen and our top 3 starters look good. Our 4-5 starters should be shaky as they continue to work themselves up, but they're at least healthy enough to pitch, and their names aren't Marquez and Richard. Wise in CF and the front of our bullpen are our only problems right now because we can never count on Paulie and Thome early on as it is.