White Sox versus Twins April 11th game thread 3:05, FOX

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
dear ozzie:

Chris Getz career vs. lefties in minors: .302/.371/.367

Wilson Betemit career vs. lefties: .232/.276/.360

when will ozzie ever learn

some of the decisions this organization makes, eventually has to start making people realize they don't know what the f*** they're doing half the time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
Baseball's a funny game. We'll probably win this game, the one game out of the first five that looks the least winnable.

I hope you're right. All I know is that today seems like a big swing game, resulting in either a dreadful 1-4 start or a 2-3 start with a chance to win the series. Here's hoping the Sunday lineup can produce.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
dear ozzie:

Chris Getz career vs. lefties in minors: .302/.371/.367

Wilson Betemit career vs. lefties: .232/.276/.360

when will ozzie ever learn

Last year at Charlotte Getz hit .319/.380/.433/.813 vs lefties in 141 AB. He actually hit lefties 44 OPS points better than righties.

There are quite possibly 4 automatic outs in today's lineup. (and that's not counting Alexei who couldn't hit a breaking ball to save his life right now)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Last year at Charlotte Getz hit .319/.380/.433/.813 vs lefties in 141 AB. He actually hit lefties 44 OPS points better than righties.

There are quite possibly 4 automatic outs in today's lineup. (and that's not counting Alexei who couldn't hit a breaking ball to save his life right now)

Seriously...that's pretty bad. Lexi (aka Serrano) needs to tell Jobu "F-U....I do it myself".

Lillibridge leading off...god help us.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Getz is the best hitter we have right now and we are resting him. Way to try to stunt his growth.

Josh Fields is hitting .444/.615/.444/1.060 (he's reached base 8 times in 13 PA) with a quarter of the team's combined runs and RBI. (5/20)

Did KW tell Ozzie to abandon this season already and fight with the Indians for last place and Strasburg??

Well, I was going to get on Ozzie last night when he left Wise in against Duensing, but then Wise actually ended up getting 2 hits (of course, the more important one, when the game was still in doubt, ended up in him getting picked off, thus it was nullified).

Our chances of winning this game must be about 10-15%. To get swept at home by the Twins before playing the Tigers, Rays and Orioles on the road has 2007 written all over it.

Prediction right now is is 5-11 or 6-10 start for the White Sox.

Looking back to 2007, we were actually 9-7 at the same point in the season. We were 24-20 as late as May 25th.

Of course, then we went into a patented lifeless 5-22 stretch that left us dead in the water for the rest of the season at 29-42 on June 24th.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Did KW tell Ozzie to abandon this season already and fight with the Indians for last place and Strasburg??

Well, I was going to get on Ozzie last night when he left Wise in against Duensing, but then Wise actually ended up getting 2 hits (of course, the more important one, when the game was still in doubt, ended up in him getting picked off, thus it was nullified).

Our chances of winning this game must be about 10-15%. To get swept at home by the Twins before playing the Tigers, Rays and Orioles on the road has 2007 written all over it.

Strasburg will be entering the 2009 June Draft thus he will be well out of reach of the White Sox.

Francisco Liriano's career high in Ks is 12 (he's done it twice) that number could be in danger today.

For some reason, I was so aggravated with our performance last night I was thinking they could trade current prospects and a future #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft for #1 this year, because most of those teams at the bottom won't be able to meet his demands...of course, that's not reality.

Isn't there a pretty good choice he will sit out this next year if the "wrong" team (according to Boras) drafts him or doesn't meet his demands, which are looking to be like Dice-K numbers?

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
I would say Josh Fields is our best hitter right now followed by Paul Konerko

I'd say that's fair.

AVG:

Fields .444

Dye .333

Konerko .308

the rest are sub .220

OPS:

Fields 1.060

Konerko .973

Quentin .912

the rest are sub .700

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Shelby, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, Cook, Viciedo, Gartrell and Retherford would generate more offense against the Liriano/Twins than our major league line-up.

Quite the exaggeration. This lineup isn't good today, but that's the problem when you have a terrible back-up catcher and utility player. I'm as pessimistic and passionate as anyone, but people seem to be in freak out mode way too early right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Quite the exaggeration. This lineup isn't good today, but that's the problem when you have a terrible back-up catcher and utility player. I'm as pessimistic and passionate as anyone, but people seem to be in freak out mode way too early right now.

Totally agree. I am just enjoying baseball being back that I will not let a couple bad games ruin it for me. Cant you guys just leave the emotions aside for the first week or two?

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Totally agree. I am just enjoying baseball being back that I will not let a couple bad games ruin it for me. Cant you guys just leave the emotions aside for the first week or two?

Hey, the Cubs were 1-3 last year also!!

Funny thing is this team is exact the same as team last year, so technically there is no way we should do worse.

Ok Orlando Cabrera is gone but we now have Chris Getz, ya the guys are a year older, but I still think this team can turn it around.

The only two not hitting (not couting Wise) are Quentin and Ramirez, our best hitters last year, I think Fields is an upgrade at thirdbase, Paulie can't have a worse year he had last year, if AJ and Dye just keep up their numbers than this team should be dangerous.

I want to win these games, as they are as important as any other games, but I am hoping they are taking this time to evaluate what they have and how the current pieces might fit for the long season ahead. I also hope they are realizing their shortcomings and scouring the league for what players might be available that could alleviate those shortcomings.

We obviously have some of the same issues we had last year, which they weren't able to solve during the offseason, so it isn't easy. But we do have several new pieces this year and it is imperative to see how they fit into the big picture.

I wasn't a proponent of moving Alexei to CF this year, but it's beginning to look like if they aren't going to give Brian much of a chance to be an everyday player, than that might be the best solution.

My guess is they will take a long, long look at doing the same thing with Beckham that the Rays did with Longoria last year...

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)

Of course the White Sox line-up is better...but our AA line-up actually might be capable of putting up better numbers against Liriano today, simply because some of our players are really starting to press a little bit.

I'm just looking forward to the day we havea more balanced line-up, more athleticism, better defensive ability...this just seems to me like a bridge or transition year, with no real solid degree of confidence that we can compete with the teams from the AL East.