Game 1: Frazier vs. Charles Leesman

Game 2: Friedrich vs. Dexter Carter

Radio feeds

• Charlotte Knights (AAA): Listen

• Birmingham Barons (AA): Listen

• Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv.): Listen

• Kannapolis Intimidators (A): Listen

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Jon Garland, I mean Jeff Marquez, got lit up it appears.

Maybe a poor man's Garland. Marquez is 24 and yet to make his Major League debut. By 24, Garland had 3 full seasons in the Majors under his belt.

Kanny takes game 1 of the double-header 3-2.

Charles Leesman went 6 innings for the win: gave up 2 runs (1 earned) on 6 hits; 3 k's; 2 BBs

Leroy Hunt got the save with one inning of shutout relief.

(For those that aren't familiar with it... each game of a double-header in the minors is only 7 innings long.)

Offensive star of the game for Kannapolis was 2B Andrew Garcia who went 2 for 3 and drove in 2 runs.

Joe Persichina and Justin Greene also got 2 hits apiece.

3434258569_cc9fb892c1.jpg

Charlie Leesman

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
Wasserman was lit up too..........

Holy Moly....

I didn't realize that game was still going on.

19-3 Charlotte losing??? LOL.

Sounds like lots of people got lit up.

Shelby CF 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .231

Beckham SS 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .500

Flowers C 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 .273

Allen 1B 3 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 .455

Viciedo 3B 3 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .333

Cook, D LF 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .100

Gartrell RF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .200

Cruz, L DH 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333

Retherford 2B 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .182

Poreda P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Rote P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Aselton P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Tyler Flowers with his first homer of the season...but Barons losing 4-1 going into the bottom of the 8th.

Brandon Allen just had his fourth single of the game, now 4/4 tonight. Cook just singled...11 hits, 1 run, 10 are singles, with Flowers' HR.

Poreda was so-so, only one earned run in 4 IP.

4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K's

Viciedo made his second error in 3 games (both fielding).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Shelby CF 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .231

Beckham SS 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .500

Flowers C 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 .273

Allen 1B 3 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 .455

Viciedo 3B 3 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .333

Cook, D LF 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .100

Gartrell RF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .200

Cruz, L DH 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333

Retherford 2B 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .182

Poreda P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Rote P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Aselton P 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000

Tyler Flowers with his first homer of the season...but Barons losing 4-1 going into the bottom of the 8th.

Brandon Allen just had his fourth single of the game, now 4/4 tonight. Cook just singled...11 hits, 1 run, 10 are singles, with Flowers' HR.

Poreda was so-so, only one earned run in 4 IP.

4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K's

Viciedo made his second error in 3 games (both fielding).

Supposedly Poreda has been throwing a lot of offspeed stuff. They probably have him working on it so his results may not be as good as hoped or expected.

Poreda had to throw 83 pitches (only 46 strikes/37 balls) to get through just four innings. That's not going to work.

Lambo (LF) for the Lookouts (Dodgers) has a double, triple and single in this game. He's their best prospect, 6/14 on the season so far.

I guess the word's out on Flowers...he gave up 3 stolen bases tonight, and one was picked off 1B (Hoffman) by Poreda.

Going to bottom of the 9th down 4-2, with Shelby, Beckham, Flowers and Allen batting...

Shelby K's (1 for 5)

Beckham drives the ball to LCF pretty well but its caught (1 for 5...now 7/15)

Flowers singles into gap but is held to a single...as his run means nothing (5/15)

Allen grounds out to end the game and ends up going 4 for 5 on the night (all four were singles)

4-2 Lookouts win

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
I guess the word's out on Flowers...he gave up 3 stolen bases tonight

He also threw one guy out attempting to steal.

I think he'll get challenged alot this year, until he proves himself.

But this is only his second full year as a catcher.

I think he's likely to improve dramatically.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
Supposedly Poreda has been throwing a lot of offspeed stuff. They probably have him working on it so his results may not be as good as hoped or expected.

Yep, didn't light up the gun too much tonight.

First of all, Flowers has scary power. Scary. His homerun was a laser shot to dead center. A 407 foot line drive. I betting on him winning the All Star homerun derby out at Rickwood. 3 of Brandon Allen's 4 hits were opposite field hits, good to see out of him. Beckham's range is great and his arm is serviceable. Viciedo has a long way to go defensively. C.J. Retherford can really put a charge into the ball. The bullpen is solid for B'ham, Kyle Aselton pitched three good innings to hold the deficit. The offense didn't get the job done with runners on.

It's becoming apparent they might need to move Viciedo into LF...possibly RF.

Looks like (for now) Josh will really hold onto 3B for awhile. The real interesting question is what will happen with Beckham/Ramirez/Getz??

Will Getz or Ramirez be moved to CF? Can they wait long enough for Shelby or Jordan Danks without making a move to improve that position for at least this season and even 2010?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
It's becoming apparent they might need to move Viciedo into LF...possibly RF.

Looks like (for now) Josh will really hold onto 3B for awhile. The real interesting question is what will happen with Beckham/Ramirez/Getz??

Will Getz or Ramirez be moved to CF? Can they wait long enough for Shelby or Jordan Danks without making a move to improve that position for at least this season and even 2010?

Good problem to have because it means we have A) Major league talent hitting wise and B) Athletic enough players who can play multiple positions.

Beckham can play 3b, 2b, SS and maybe even CF if asked. (not saying he will play CF, but certainly athletic enough)

Alexei can play SS, 2b and CF

Dayan probably can play LF, RF or 1b

In the future, our lineup could very well look like this (just position wise:

C - Flowers

1b - Allen

2b - Beckham

SS - Alexei

3b - Fields

LF - Viciedo

CF - Danks/Shelby

RF - Quentin

DH - Whoever.

If Getz keeps playing the way he is, there's no reason not to think he can be a starter for this team for many more years and perhaps even our leadoff man of the future. The question is, would it be at 2B or LF? Getz has played great D at 2B so far, but with Beckham coming up, someone might have to move. Alexei looks like the real deal at SS, so I'll keep him there. IF everything goes as planned, my projected 2012 lineup would be:

1. Getz, LF/2B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF

4. Viciedo, DH/1B

5. Konerko(face of franchise, captain, I see Ozzie and KW resigning him after 2010)/Allen, 1B/DH

6. Fields, 3B

7. Flowers, C

8. Beckham, 2B/LF

9. Danks/Shelby, CF

That is potentially an epic lineup. Only problem I have would be lack of lefties or switch hitters. However, all of these players panning out and/or staying with the White Sox organization is doubtful.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
If Getz keeps playing the way he is, there's no reason not to think he can be a starter for this team for many more years and perhaps even our leadoff man of the future. The question is, would it be at 2B or LF? Getz has played great D at 2B so far, but with Beckham coming up, someone might have to move. Alexei looks like the real deal at SS, so I'll keep him there. IF everything goes as planned, my projected 2012 lineup would be:

1. Getz, LF/2B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF

4. Viciedo, DH/1B

5. Konerko(face of franchise, captain, I see Ozzie and KW resigning him after 2010)/Allen, 1B/DH

6. Fields, 3B

7. Flowers, C

8. Beckham, 2B/LF

9. Danks/Shelby, CF

That is potentially an epic lineup. Only problem I have would be lack of lefties or switch hitters. However, all of these players panning out and/or staying with the White Sox organization is doubtful.

I like Getz as a temporary stopgap, but I just don't think he has the bat speed and power to be an everyday regular. He would really be helped with improved arm strength so he could play SS or 3B and truly be a great utility guy. The problem with Getz is that he just doesn't hit the ball hard enough to consistently produce in the majors, IMO. I love him as utility guy, but am lukewarm on him as an everyday starter.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 12:21 AM)
Good problem to have because it means we have A) Major league talent hitting wise and B) Athletic enough players who can play multiple positions.

Beckham can play 3b, 2b, SS and maybe even CF if asked. (not saying he will play CF, but certainly athletic enough)

Alexei can play SS, 2b and CF

Dayan probably can play LF, RF or 1b

In the future, our lineup could very well look like this (just position wise:

C - Flowers

1b - Allen

2b - Beckham

SS - Alexei

3b - Fields

LF - Viciedo

CF - Danks/Shelby

RF - Quentin

DH - Whoever.

I love the possiblity and potential of sox

This is how i would like to see it go down

SS - Beckham

2B - Getz

3B - Fields

RF - Quentin

DH - Thome(resign him)

C - Flowers

LF - Viciedo

1B - Allen

CF - Ramirez

Shirek Sparkles as Dash Blank Kinston

Kinston, NC – Charlie Shirek sparkled in his Carolina League debut as the Winston-Salem hurler tossed six shutout innings in leading the Dash to a 6-0 win over Kinston on Saturday night at Grainger Stadium. Matt Zaleski tossed three hitless innings of relief to preserve the shutout and collect the save for the Dash, who improved to 2-1 on the season.

Winston-Salem jumped in front when they loaded the bases with nobody out in the third inning against Kinston starting pitcher Eric Berger. After James Gallagher went down on strikes, Salvador Sanchez plated a run with a single. Brent Morel followed with a bases-loaded walk to give the Dash a 2-0 lead.

Winston-Salem added a run in the seventh inning as Dale Mollenhauer scored from third when Jordan Danks hit into a double-play. The Dash would add three more runs in the eighth inning sparked by a two-run double off the bat of Kyle Shelton to give Winston-Salem a 6-0 advantage. Shelton, the lone North Carolina native on the Dash roster, finished with two hits and two RBI in his first game of the season.

Shirek (1-0) was the story of the night as the right-hander limited Kinston to four hits and one walk, while striking out two in six innings of work. Only one of the Indians hits made it out of the infield. Berger (0-1) took the loss for Kinston after surrendering two runs on four hits and four walks while tossing four innings.

Edited by scenario

Recap of Kannapolis sweep...

Intimidators sweep doubleheader to go to 3-0

KANNAPOLIS, NC - The Intimidators swept Saturday's doubleheader with Asheville behind a pair of strong pitching performances, winning Game 1, 3-2, before taking the nightcap, 4-1.

Dexter Carter made his season debut in the second game and did not disappoint. The North Carolina-native allowed just one run on one hit in six innings while striking out six. The lone run against Carter (1-0) came without a hit thanks to a walk, two groundouts and a wild pitch. Dan Remenowsky pitched a 1-2-3 seventh inning to shut the door and earn his first save of the season.

Jordan Cheatham ensured that the Intimidators (3-0) never trailed in the second game, smashing the first home run of the season over the rightfield fence to put Kannapolis ahead 2-0. Kenny Williams and Matt Inouye each drove in runs in the sixth to give the Intimidators some breathing room.

While Kannapolis never trailed in Game 2, it took two comebacks in Game 1 to come away with the win. The Intimidators trailed 1-0 and 2-1 before scoring the winning run in the sixth thanks to a passed ball off the glove of Jordan Pacheco.

Charlie Leesman (1-0) picked up the victory behind six solid innings. The southpaw gave up two runs, one earned, on six hits and struck out three. Leroy Hunt earned the save with a quick seventh inning.

The Tourists (0-3) had a chance to close the gap in the final frame, but Hunt struck out Patrick Rose and then catcher Mike Curtis picked off James Sims at first for a game-ending doubleplay.

The Intimidators will send Daniel Hudson to the mound against 2008 first round draft pick Christian Friedrich on Sunday looking for a four-game sweep to start the season.

Edited by scenario