SoxTalk Official Top 25 Prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Here goes mine:

1) Lord Beckham (well-rounded, not as great a potential as maybe Danks, but much higher probability of reaching potential)

2) Jordan Danks (based on his amazing potential if it all comes together)

3) Dayan Viciedo (40+ HR potential is too good to overlook and he is still very very young in a tough league)

4) Tyler Flowers (again, potential to be a .400+ OBP guy who hits 25+ HR at the catcher spot is tremendous)

5) Aaron Poreda (ceiling of a 2 starter, but has a future at worst of a top set-up man, rich man's Matt Thornton)

6) Brandon Allen (I love this guy, but he keeps improving, great this year with his contact rate, power will come and very athletic for a 1st baseman and most everything I have read says he is a hard worker who loves the game)

7) Dan Hudson (Great control and seems very efficient, not the stuff of a top-tier starter, but should settle in as a solid mid-rotational guy if it all comes together as he rises in the system)

8) Nathan Jones (I just can't get over his vast improvements this year with his control and he has a lethal 1-2 punch of pitches, could be a Jenks-type closer)

9) Charlie Leesman (lefties who throws 95 MPH are hot commodities, solid numbers this year, but he is a guy that is more likely to fail than succeed, but I like his potential)

10) Dex "Knows" Carter (great number this year even though the ERA is 3.86 and he has given up more hits than innings because the Ks are terrific and BBs low; very good stuff and has a terrific 6-6 frame to work with. Another guy that could just lose it like he did at ODU, but potential is great).

Next 5 in no order

-Morel

-Omogrosso

-Ely

-Gilmore

-Shirek

I agree a lot with this list except for Jones. I have high hopes for Mr. Morel too.

This is always fun...

1. Gordon Beckham

2. Dayan Viciedo

3. Aaron Poreda

4. Tyler Flowers

5. Jordan Danks

6. Brandon Allen

7. Carlos Torres

8. Dan Hudson

9. Dexter Carter

10. C.J. Retherford (He doesn't walk, but the options aren't good here.)

It's interesting that with Shelby and Escobar struggling how much the depth seems to have dropped off. Hopefully these guys turn it around.

I can understand last year as who the #1 is cause it was tougher.. but if someone doesn't have Slayer as their #1 they have 0 credability of evaluating spects on this board. I hate usually doing this but I'll whip up just a top 10 here.. and just looking at the others opinions, Dan's Top 10 is probably the most I'd agree with though I'd give props to maggsmaggs on my boy Nathan Jones. :D

1. Gordon "Slayer" Beckham

2. Dayan "Cuban Tank" Viciedo (his ability/potential and age alone in AA is just ungodly to think about..)

3. Aaron Poreda

4. Tyler Flowers

5. Jordan Danks

6. Brandon Allen (though he and Danks2 can be interchangable, Jordan has really emerged though)

7. John "Trey-Bone" Shelby III

8. Dexter Carter (I'm personally higher on Carter than Hudson given his stuff/arsonal though Hudson's peripherals are better not to mention was drafted higher though that doesn't mean much all the time. Lots of people here flip flop the two so each his own though with Heads picking Carter as his boy now.. that scares me.. :lol:)

9. Dan Hudson

10. Brent Morel (if he's finally developing that power to go along with his good defense.. watch out)

Escobar, Gilmore, are very close based on potential, youth, upside. I would also add N. Jones to that list as well personally. Special considerations in no order: Leesman, Gartrell, Ely, Retherford, Marrero, Upchurch, Torres etc.. etc..

This will all change probably when the draft comes around.. though I'm sure the top 3-5 will be the same.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
There is no way I put a reliever in my top 10 prospects unless the guy is the next Mariano Rivera. Nathan Jones? Come on now.

The reason I put him there is because of his Jenks-like potential he has. And remember, Bobby was our #1 prospect at one point. But you can't deny that he has the best stuff in the system with Poreda as a close second. Two plus-pitches with one being a high 90s fastball coupled with the great improvements this year and great stats, to me, warrants a top 10 selection. Remember, we have some more top guys in our system, but overall, the Sox system is still middle of the road and Jones has the potential to be one of the best pitchers from the system.

Here's a scouting report of him from BA (It's part of the 32nd Team, so it's free content):

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267491.html

Nathan Jones, rhp, White Sox

Born: Jan. 28, 1986. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 185. Drafted: Northern Kentucky, 2007 (5th round). Signed by: Mike Shirley.

Jones has some of the best stuff in the White Sox system but never has been able to find the strike zone, not even with a GPS or a group of Sherpas leading the way. Because of his wildness, Jones worked only 82 innings in three years at NCAA Division II Northern Kentucky, but that didn't deter the White Sox from drafting him in the fifth round in 2007. He has gone just 2-11, 5.72 while splitting time between starting and relieving in pro ball, but Chicago dreams of what he might do if he could add polish to a deadly pair of pitches. He has gained velocity on his fastball as a pro, working in the mid-90s and hitting 99 mph at times last season, and his knee-buckling curveball gets scouts buzzing even more. Hitters fall down trying to escape curves that break over the plate for strikes, though he often has trouble locating his breaking ball. He has no feel for a changeup, so he's probably going to wind up as a reliever in the long run. Scouts don't like his delivery or arm action, and he missed seven weeks during the summer with a strained shoulder. The White Sox will send him back to low Class A as a starter in 2009 to get him as many innings as possible.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• 2 weeks later...