5:05pm EDT

Radio feeds

• Charlotte Knights (AAA): Listen

• Birmingham Barons (AA): Listen

• Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv.): Listen

• Kannapolis Intimidators (A): Listen

Edited by scenario

Not alot to cheer about so far today...

Charlotte and Winston-Salem both lost. Mediocre starts by Broadway and Maxwell.

Kannapolis is losing in the 4th. Dan Hudson just got knocked out of the game. And we're getting our butts handed to us, pitching-wise, by Asheville starter Christian Friedrich - the Rockies' #1 draft pick last year.

Birmingham just started. Lucas Harrell started the game with an HBP on former Baron Victor Mercedes.

Edited by scenario

Only 1 of the 3 runs Hudson gave up was earned.

And reading the play-by-play it doesn't appear he was pitching too badly...

But... important note... he was taken out of the game after fielding a line-drive hit right at him.

So, we'll have to see if there's more to that, possible injury, etc.

Birmingham isn't going to go 141-1 after all.

Barons have already made 3 errors on the day, with only two of Harrell's runs were earned. Beckham with his 2nd error already, Allen with his first.

Flowers, Cook and Retherford are sitting today.

4-0 Lookouts in the top of the fourth.

Viciedo 3 for 14 (all singles) with 7 K's and two errors...he's DHing today. Beckham is still at .438, Allen .429.

Barons just picked up 3 runs in the bottom of the fifth...Beckham had an RBI double (8 for 17 now), Allen a walk and Viciedo a SAC fly. Beckham scored on a wild pitch. Threat of rained/shortened game at this point.

Beckham adds another walk to his OBP. Viciedo with a double into the RCF gap, now 4/15 (.267)

Future Sox CF John Shelby III rips a two run double into the gap to knot it all up at 6-6 in the bottom of the 7th, getting Harrell off the ropes despite 6 runs given up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Brandon Allen with the game winner.

HR? What happened?

These guys seem to be upholding the label of being something special. Hopefully the defense improves throughout the season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Bottom of the 10th-

Shelby walked

Hudson bunted, bad throw at 2nd. Both safe.

Bad pickoff, Beckham intentionally walked.

Allen base hit.

Barons win 7-6

Thanks, the update is much appreciated. I like how Beckham is now being intentionally walked in clutch situations. Theyre learning not to give Slayer anything in those situations.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
Thanks, the update is much appreciated. I like how Beckham is now being intentionally walked in clutch situations. Theyre learning not to give Slayer anything in those situations.

I think anyone would have been intentionally walked in that situation. They intentioanlly walked him after the bad pickoff that moved the runners up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
I think anyone would have been intentionally walked in that situation. They intentioanlly walked him after the bad pickoff that moved the runners up.

Probably true. But it doesn't sound as good. :P

The IBB on Beckham was probably conceding the game. Loading the bases with no outs in a tie game...there was a steady, moderately heavy rain throughout the second half of the game. A win's a win though. To be fair, Beckham's error wasn't all his fault. Allen fielded the grounder, made a high throw to second, Beckham had to leap and catch it and throw it back to Allen. He couldn't get much on the throw, so it bounced and got passed Allen. Not much else to say, it would be nice if the starters would not spot the opposition runs and hope the bullpen holds. But, the point is the bullpen is solid. Although I wouldn't hold out much hope for Jhonny Nunez. He hasn't been very impressive. Good to see Shelby III starting to get comfortable.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
The IBB on Beckham was probably conceding the game. Loading the bases with no outs in a tie game...there was a steady, moderately heavy rain throughout the second half of the game. A win's a win though. To be fair, Beckham's error wasn't all his fault. Allen fielded the grounder, made a high throw to second, Beckham had to leap and catch it and throw it back to Allen. He couldn't get much on the throw, so it bounced and got passed Allen. Not much else to say, it would be nice if the starters would not spot the opposition runs and hope the bullpen holds. But, the point is the bullpen is solid. Although I wouldn't hold out much hope for Jhonny Nunez. He hasn't been very impressive. Good to see Shelby III starting to get comfortable.

I greatly appreciate the live updates. Sounds like you get to see some exciting players. Couldn't agree more about Nunez...it's really disappointing the overall package we got for Swisher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
I greatly appreciate the live updates. Sounds like you get to see some exciting players. Couldn't agree more about Nunez...it's really disappointing the overall package we got for Swisher.

Trying to give you guys some outside the box score info. I try to post as soon as I get home.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
DRod (Derek Rodriguez) getting maximum efficiency from his outings...

He's pitched 2.2 innings and has 2 wins.

and a save!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Birmingham isn't going to go 141-1 after all.

not so sure about that

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Extremely valuable.

I always look forward to your input after games.

Sorry for the lack of eloquence. Like I told you, I knew going into the season that there was going to be a lot of curiosity about the Barons, so I'm trying to pass along as much as I can. Don't want them to do too well, I'd like them to stick around as long as possible. Especially Flowers, I want to watch him win the All Star home run derby.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)

Oh hell, I think Betemit alone would have been an even return for Swisher. Getting Marquez and Nunez was just icing, maybe one or both turn into something valuable.

I really see it as two even deals - Swisher for Betemit, and Teixera for Marquez+Nunez.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Swisher for Betemit is a terrible deal.

I disagree, but I am of the belief that Swisher is a bench player who had one unusually good year (that may have been chemically enhanced), and is not a good guy to have around most teams.

We've been "spun," whether you want to go along with that or not, that it's really getting Swisher off the books that allowed us to throw the money at Viciedo.

So if you think of it as Betemit and Viciedo for Swisher, it's not so bad at all...and Swisher 1) couldn't be a CFer again for us 2) or a leadoff hitter. His act will eventually wear thin in NYC, too.

If you want to extend it even further, all the money that we saved with Betemit/Lillibridge/Nix over Uribe has been invested elsewhere, too...and/or gives us the flexibility to make a move (adding a salary at midseason).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
Sorry for the lack of eloquence.

I wouldn't worry about trying to be eloquent.

You're doing a great job. Keep it going.

You don't have to be concerned too much with covering the routine stuff... box-scores, etc.

Your first-hand insights into the things about the games and the players that we can't see is what I like.