Passion runs deep on the South Side

YASNY

I was living on the North Side at the time. It was pretty surreal walking up and down Halsted, Lincoln, Clark and seeing absolutely no visable signs that the White Sox were even in the postseason. It was if I was the only Sox fan on that side of town. If I didn't know I was in Chicago, one might have thought I was walking around Lincoln, Nebraska instead of Lincoln Ave.

Anyways, good read. One of the few that seems to actually accurately capture the life of a White Sox fan...

Park for free and walk to the game. My old man doesn't like going to games anymore, too old and crotchety and hates the over loud music that's constantly going, but he'd always park at a fire station parking lot cuz his old man was a fire chief (maybe at that very station) though he's long dead. I saw some other people park there and leave a can of coffee for the firemen and thought that's a nice gesture for the free parking and mentioned it to my old man but he, of course, would just say "what for ?" Then it's not free anymore is it is his reasoning. But this is a man who stabbed me in the arm with a fork for taking more meat before I had taken more potatoes at dinner. Pure south side.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Good article. I just have a couple gripes, he says half the city did not care about our parade. I was there and it looked to be the biggest post championship parade/event I ever saw.

Then the part of not wanting Getz on the opening day roster(among other names) is simply not true amongst this fan base.

Face it, ESPN will never get it 100% right. Overall, it was a better article than most.

I think it's safe to say at least 1/3rd of White Sox fans weren't sure of Chris Getz...probably even more than that coming into ST. Many thought (and a few still still think) he was more suited to be a utility infielder or Aaron Miles type of player, but not an everyday infielder.

And, if you took a poll today, there's many fans who would have preferred Orlando Hudson/Figgins/Roberts or even starting Beckham right away at the major league level. I think that comment goes to that uncertainty among people outside Soxtalk who don't really even know much about him at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
I think it's safe to say at least 1/3rd of White Sox fans weren't sure of Chris Getz...probably even more than that coming into ST. Many thought (and a few still still think) he was more suited to be a utility infielder or Aaron Miles type of player, but not an everyday infielder.

And, if you took a poll today, there's many fans who would have preferred Orlando Hudson/Figgins/Roberts or even starting Beckham right away at the major league level. I think that comment goes to that uncertainty among people outside Soxtalk who don't really even know much about him at all.

Psh, I'm as confident in Chris Getz as any of his other fans on here, but if it were possible I'd have taken one of those guys in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
I was living on the North Side at the time. It was pretty surreal walking up and down Halsted, Lincoln, Clark and seeing absolutely no visable signs that the White Sox were even in the postseason. It was if I was the only Sox fan on that side of town. If I didn't know I was in Chicago, one might have thought I was walking around Lincoln, Nebraska instead of Lincoln Ave.

Anyways, good read. One of the few that seems to actually accurately capture the life of a White Sox fan...

Your last sentence nailed it. That's why I felt compelled to share this article here.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
Park for free and walk to the game. My old man doesn't like going to games anymore, too old and crotchety and hates the over loud music that's constantly going, but he'd always park at a fire station parking lot cuz his old man was a fire chief (maybe at that very station) though he's long dead. I saw some other people park there and leave a can of coffee for the firemen and thought that's a nice gesture for the free parking and mentioned it to my old man but he, of course, would just say "what for ?" Then it's not free anymore is it is his reasoning. But this is a man who stabbed me in the arm with a fork for taking more meat before I had taken more potatoes at dinner. Pure south side.

My great-uncle Jim also let us park at that fire station