Cuba restrictions softened

BigSqwert

Sometimes when you want something from some other country that is your ally since your existence as a country, you don't just tell them to f*** off and do what we say, or we'll just do it ourselves! It really wasn't effective at all - in any way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Sometimes when you want something from some other country that is your ally since your existence as a country, you don't just tell them to f*** off and do what we say, or we'll just do it ourselves! It really wasn't effective at all - in any way.

Well, to be fair, France told us to f*** off on Iraq because they were in bed with Saddam for billions on the oil for food program. I wonder why they told us that, then? *shocker*, huh?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Well, to be fair, France told us to f*** off on Iraq because they were in bed with Saddam for billions on the oil for food program. I wonder why they told us that, then? *shocker*, huh?

And no U.S. company backed the invasion that stood to gain from it either. They were all 100% patriots.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
And no U.S. company backed the invasion that stood to gain from it either. They were all 100% patriots.

France was illegally skirting sanctions/ embargoes on the country and didn't want the gravy train to end. It's a little different in my eyes.

Back on topic, this is a step in the right direction. Just end this stupid, failed embargo once and for all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)

Of course! If the GOP did it, it has to be shennanigans and all tied to special interests and big corporations. The Democrats never do that!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
Of course! If the GOP did it, it has to be shennanigans and all tied to special interests and big corporations. The Democrats never do that!

So, in other words, the dastardly French are no better than your beloved GOP. That's all I'm trying to get you to say.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Cant wait to see the GOP response.

The GOP reviews are in... some positive, some negative.

Reps. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, R-Fla. and Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla., called Obama’s move a “serious mistake” and a reward to a dictatorship that has recently increased its repression of pro-democracy activists. “President Obama has committed a serious mistake by unilaterally increasing Cuban-American travel and remittance dollars for the Cuban dictatorship,” the two congressmen, who are brothers, said in a joint statement. “Unilateral concessions to the dictatorship embolden it to further isolate, imprison and brutalize pro-democracy activists, to continue to dictate which Cubans and Cuban-Americans are able to enter the island, and this unilateral concession provides the dictatorship with critical financial support,” the two said in their statement.

U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez, who is also Cuban-American, praised Obama’s plan.

"It's going to bring families together," Martinez, R-Fla., told the Associated Press. But Martinez, too, said he was concerned some in the United States might abuse the open door travel policy as a guise to conduct business in Cuba.

"It would be good if the remittances had some boundaries. Otherwise it could be a windfall to the Cuban government," he said.

"Will they now curtail the 20 percent they take on remittances? Will they now allow more of the Cuban families who are denied permission to travel abroad?" he asked, according to the AP.

U.S. Rep. Connie Mack, R-Fla, said Obama should have worked to strengthen family ties on the island, but without taking unilateral steps.

“Instead, Congress should vigorously debate these and other ideas before any substantive policy changes are implemented,” Mack said. “None of us should be satisfied, however, until the Cuban people are free and the Castro regime is but a footnote of history.”

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I think we all know what would have happened in Congress with a bill like that...

I expected the most extreme views to come from FLA., i guess it shows how much support this had, or rather, how little anyone cared about the Cuban embargo anymore.