Harry Kalas passed away

Brian

Phillies Announcer Harry Kalas Dies At 73WASHINGTON (AP) ―

Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at age 73.

Team president David Montgomery announced the death Monday a short time after Kalas passed out in the broadcast booth before a game in Washington against the Nationals.

Montogomery's voice was cracking as he said that "we have lost our voice."

Kalas had been with the Phillies since 1971 and was known for his distinctive "Outta here!" home run call.

Edited by Brian

Very sad news, one of my all time favorites. I didn't know this, but Harry is actually an original local, he was born, grew up in, and graduated from High School in Naperville. He also said he fell in love with baseball at a young age when his Dad took him to a game at Comiskey Park. Now the event that happened at the game made him a Senators fan, but nevertheless it's an interesting local connection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

Kalas fell in love with baseball at a young age, when his father took him to Comiskey Park to see the Chicago White Sox play the Washington Senators.

It was a rainy night, and Kalas sat with his dad behind the Washington dugout.

"Because of the rains, the field was covered," he told The Associated Press. "There was no batting practice, so the players really didn't have anything to do. Mickey Vernon popped out of the dugout, saw this wide-eyed kid -- me -- picked me up, took me in the dugout, gave me a baseball, introduced me to his teammates, and thus began my love of baseball and the Washington Senators."

He maintained that enthusiasm for the game throughout his career.

The son of a Methodist minister, the Naperville, Ill., native graduated from the University of Iowa in 1959 with a degree in speech, radio and television. He was drafted into the Army soon after he graduated.

RIP Harry.

Edited by whitesoxfan101