Wise to DL with Separated Shoulder/Anderson to Start in CF

Jimmywins1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
It means more Owens.

And I do believe that is the opposite of a miracle. I don't think much of Wise but he's a much better baseball player than his replacement. And injury to Dewayne Wise is definitely a bad thing and will weaken the club.

Definitely hate to see this.

I like Wise. The only thing I hated was him as a leadoff hitter. And as soon as Ozzie corrected that, he showed why he has some worth. He really sacrificed the body and made a great defensive play. Hopefully the separation wasn't too severe and he'll make a speedy recovery.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Cowley is reporting (2 minutes ago) that Owens is getting the call.

Gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of a mood killer coming on heels of 3 game win streak. Hopefully Anderson gets majority of the playing time.

Edited by fathom

He said Ozzie said the only way it won't be Owens is if KW makes a trade before tomorrow.

Owens will get Wise's playing time. BA will not get his shot. Make a trade,KW if that is the case. For the love of God, Jerry Owens? How many times do you have to pound your head against a wall before you realize it feels better if you don't?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Say it isn't so!! Let the Owens bashing re-commence.

The harder I bashed Wise the better he seemed to do, so let's see how this goes when I bash Owens. I never really put much effort into Owens bashing before.

Elijah Dukes? Really? And that Nationals aren't going to just give us Dukes, or the Astros Michael Bourn.

We would be better off going after Blanco than that. Lillibridge hasn't proven he can be effective as an everyday player in AAA, let alone at the major league level.

To think of moving Ramirez to CF when he's just getting comfortable there just isn't going to happen.

The ONLY question is whether he will put Owens in the line-up tomorrow against Porcello and go w/ the straight platoon everyone envisioned at the beginning of ST. One would THINK after the way Owens played that BA would have another chance to start 5-6 times per week (and after Owens was removed from the 40 man roster), but who knows?

We're just lucky one of our division rivals didn't claim Owens just to keep him in AAA...because it's far from clear that either Lillibridge or Getz can get the job done leading off.

You have got to be f***ing kidding me that Owens would get the bulk of the starts over Anderson. If there was a lack of evidence that Ozzie has something against Brian, that would 100% flat out PROVE it. There is absolutely NO REASON Owens should be in center field, he has proven jack s***. I will be very f***ing angry if Owens is starting tomorrow...

Its a weird situation when your GM says the guy who everyone knows is a top of the line defender would hit .270 with 25 homers if he played every day, and for some reason can't beat out Dewayne Wise. Then Wise gets hurt and Jerry Owens gets the playing time (speculating) although this benched individual outplayed him in every aspect last season and during spring training. Something has to be up, and if I were BA, if I'm not the man in CF right now, I'm asking to be moved.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
So what kind of fail is it, when a guy can't start for your AAA team and he will come back here and immediately take over for Wise. Anderson is going to be back to the bench.

But if BA struck out 3-4 times against Rick Porcello tomorrow afternoon, everyone would be complaining that BA didn't get any favorable match-ups, he had to face Liriano, etc.

No matter what Ozzie does with BA, he's always going to be second-guessed. Now after he had 2 walks and 2 stolen bases today, I'm sure that will be used as the evidence that he could be the next Torii Hunter and be a 30/30 player.

Some (not all) of the biggest Anderson supporters read off Wise's career numbers as a reason why he's not worthwhile. Yet if you just do the same thing for Owens w/ his career numbers, it's not thaaat horrendous. At least not enough for the hate level it brings.

Owens at .268/.321 in 381 at-bats in the majors....... Obviously it's not what you want in a leadoff hitter - but it gets so much hate in comparison to .221/.276 for BA.

Owens cant get an extra base hit to save his life but he at least projects to be somewhat of a basestealer, essentially making some 'doubles' that way.

Doesnt it pretty much come down to Jerry playing this week over Brian because you have less of a hole in your lineup that way? Plus the whole vs. RHP aspect. I think we face several righties in a row here.

It will be interesting but I'm sure Owens bats #9 right?