Jerry Owens called up

DaTank

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Charlotte has had a horrid start. They have 1 guy with a batting average over .250, and 1 guy with an ERA under 4.50, and he's pitched 2 innings. Kroger is 0 for 9 and Owens is 1 for 7 with 3 k's.

One scout said it's one of the worst IL teams this decade

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
One scout said it's one of the worst IL teams this decade

They were interviewing one of the coaches during a spring training game and he said KW signed the best 6 year free agents around, that Charlotte would have a great team this year. It does seem the Sox don't have much in terms of real prospects on that team, probably on purpose. It looks like almost and independent league team.

Edited by Dick Allen

KW could care less about Charlotte...the only problems he'll have to deal with are complaints about what a horrendous team he has there (in terms of fans and attendance and "atmosphere") if he wants to keep that affiliation with the Sox.

We have the worst AAA and best AA team in the minors.

It's all about development...winning is secondary at the AA level...especially if the major league team has a competitive/winning atmosphere. Maybe winning would be more important for Nats, Padres, Pirates, Royals, Astros, Orioles, etc., farmhands.

I'm sure that if Poreda does well, he will be promoted sometime this season to Charlotte...same with Beckham and Viciedo. It will take longer with Allen, Flowers and Shelby, for sure. But even Allen could be in Charlotte by July/August and then September call-up, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
KW could care less about Charlotte...the only problems he'll have to deal with are complaints about what a horrendous team he has there (in terms of fans and attendance and "atmosphere") if he wants to keep that affiliation with the Sox.

We have the worst AAA and best AA team in the minors.

It's all about development...winning is secondary at the AA level...especially if the major league team has a competitive/winning atmosphere. Maybe winning would be more important for Nats, Padres, Pirates, Royals, Astros, Orioles, etc., farmhands.

I'm sure that if Poreda does well, he will be promoted sometime this season to Charlotte...same with Beckham and Viciedo. It will take longer with Allen, Flowers and Shelby, for sure.

I think they all will stay at Birmingham and unless called up to the major leagues sooner and depending on the situation, may get a September call up. Its like Thomas, Fernandez and Ventura skipping AAA. AAA seems to be the parking place for guys who may get called up for a couple weeks at a time for most organizations. It seems the better prospects for the most part, are lower.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Whatterya sayin' there Nostrodamus?....he'll burst onto the MLB scene?

No prediction there in my post, from anywhere I can see.

The stars have aligned to get him a major league slot when he totally didnt deserve it. Everything to come is TBD of course.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
So we're going have OWENS starting in CF over Anderson, right? If that's the case... f*** Ozzie. I'm dead serious. I reallly just don't think I can have any respect left for the man if he does that.

If I were KW, I'd release Owens if Ozzie insists on him starting over BA. Put Brian in and give him 6 weeks of 4 AB games while Wise heals. If he sucks, he will be our forth outfielder and I will shut up. Let him play and don't "rest" him the day after he goes 3 for 4. Let him get on a roll and gain timing and confidence. If BA can improve enough to hit 260, 15 HR, and 15 SB, his glove will make him worthy to start.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
and tell ya something why not get edmonds

I hadn't thought of that, but if Jerry doesn;t pan out Jim Edmonds is an option for sure and he's a lefty. Maybe we can swing a trade and get Melky Cabrera or Swisher back from NY

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Can he play CF??

Delwyn Young Designated

By Tim Dierkes [April 13 at 4:32pm CST]

According to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick, Dodgers outfielder Delwyn Young was designated for assignment today. They'll have ten days to trade, release, or waive him. Young is out of options.

Young, 26, hit .246/.321/.341 last year at Triple A but .337/.384/.571 in '07. He dealt with a strained oblique last year and began this season with an elbow issue. Tony Jackson of the L.A. Daily News suggested yesterday that the Indians, Pirates, and Phillies were eyeing Young.

Injury issues

Hopefully, we get too see this guy:

15 BRIAN ANDERSON U ARIZONA CF R/R 6'2" 205 1982-03-11 4YR 56K | 300K

COMMENT: Five-tool palyer with Major League body. Quality bat potential. Feel for wood with light tower power. Agresssive in all areas of game with plus instincts. Plus arm, plus range.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/search.jsp

Edited by Thunderbolt

If Anderson isn't playing ~70% of the time or more, I'm going to go back to hating Ozzie.

If Owens is just a stop-gap because their 4th OF'er got injured, I'm not as annoyed with this move as I was at first. Either way, something needs to be done to shore up OF depth in the organization.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
If Owens is just a stop-gap because their 4th OF'er got injured, I'm not as annoyed with this move as I was at first. Either way, something needs to be done to shore up OF depth in the organization.

I think the only place that doesn't seem to have decent OF depth right now is the big league squad. There's OF Depth building again in the minors. Esp. if Fields holds 3rd and the big Cuban has to be moved somewhere.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
I hadn't thought of that, but if Jerry doesn;t pan out Jim Edmonds is an option for sure and he's a lefty. Maybe we can swing a trade and get Melky Cabrera or Swisher back from NY

This is the worst idea ever. EVER

Why would we want to bring Swisher back to lead him off and play CF when he completely failed there last year? because he had a good first week with the Yankees? Forget that

Exactly. Would Brian Anderson pass through waivers? I don't think so.

Any team that would claim Brian would immediately slot him as a backup outfielder, with the thought of maybe his bat one day coming around.

Any team that was thinking of picking up Owens would need to have an undeniable hole at leadoff, as well as a spot in the OF. He's an experiment you'd get in hopes that his career OBP would somehow kick up 20 points. His arm isnt worth it as a 4th OF.

Teams arent willing to claim their leadoff spot is dead this early in the year. All but us perhaps!

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
Heh, Swish just struck out Gabe Kapler while pitching in relief.

Maybe he found his true calling, good to see the Yanks think of him highly to go out and pitch and tear something. That should tell you something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
Sounds nice in theory, but this is also a guy who blocked a trade here before. We don't know that he would even want to play for the Sox now.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, especially for out-of-work players

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:39 AM)
First we hated on Wise; now Owens.

Let's see how it plays out. My god.

BA will be given the chance. Hopefully he'll do well.

Jerry Owens was hated long before Dewayne Wise ever came along. Jerry Owens was living in the doghouse even before the Sox were mulling over who to release last season between Dewayne Wise and Pablo Ozuna.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, especially for out-of-work players

I saw him in the Busch Field stands the other day taking in a Cardinals game as an anonymous fan. Good to see he's keeping busy.