Jerry Owens called up

DaTank

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
I saw him in the Busch Field stands the other day taking in a Cardinals game as an anonymous fan. Good to see he's keeping busy.

does he still have highlights in his hair? that always cracked me up

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, especially for out-of-work players

This is a guy who made $8 million last year, and averaged about 10 million over the previous 5 years or so. Why would he want to come to a place he vetoed a trade to for $500,000 or even a million dollars? Or how much are you talking about offering Edmonds?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
This is a guy who made $8 million last year, and averaged about 10 million over the previous 5 years or so. Why would he want to come to a place he vetoed a trade to for $500,000 or even a million dollars? Or how much are you talking about offering Edmonds?

Im not talking any amount, Im just saying that sometimes these guys are swayed by paychecks thats they previously turned their heads away from.

I think he could contribute, but I wouldnt count on him being the guy we all remember. A platoon with BA would probably be ideal for him.

He really made 8 million from the Cubs last year? Jeez

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Im not talking any amount, Im just saying that sometimes these guys are swayed by paychecks thats they previously turned their heads away from.

I think he could contribute, but I wouldnt count on him being the guy we all remember. A platoon with BA would probably be ideal for him.

Actually he got about $5.71M from San Diego, $2M from St. Louis and $290K from the Cubs last season. So technically, 3 teams were paying that $8M salary. Hell of a bargain for the Cubs considering he put up a near 1.000 OPS against right handed pitching for them and carried that team offensively for weeks at a time.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)

I do believe he would be better than what we have here, I just am not convinced he would change his mind to play here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
What does Edmonds have against the Sox?

He rejected a trade to the White Sox before last season. He put a spin on it saying he had an hour or 2 to decide and couldn't make the decision in that amount of time so he said no without even considering it. Who knows if that is true? I would have loved for the Sox to have signed him a month ago, but with no spring training and the fact that he started last year very slow indicates to me he couldn't help much for a while. I think at this point, signing him would be a waste of money.