Anybody else not feelin' the Hawk-Stoney combo

Wanne

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
i guess i'm one of the few - but i love hawk. yes he's ridiculous, yes his STRETCH calls when the ball is in shallow RF are dumb, but a) he's the only guy i've known and B) i'd miss 'you can put it on the board' and 'he gawn' and yes - even 'stretch'

he's an idiot, but i love the hawkeroo.

Hawk is a love/hate thing for me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
you'll miss hawk when you move away and have nothing familiar to hear in baseball. He's like my desmond, keeps me grounded in any age.

If anything goes wrong, Hawk Harrelson will be my constant.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
Hawk is a love/hate thing for me.

Hawk is great when the Sox are good, but when they go bad, he gets intolerable.

Meanwhile, Hawk and Stone is an awesome duo!

I can't believe no one has been at all irritated by stoney. I like him as an announcer but sometimes his analysis of certain situations are so obvious, that I'd like it to go unsaid, instead of listening to his slow, boring tone. That being said, I enjoy the combo of hawk and stoney. I love that combo.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Also, Stone provides enough cynicism to kind of abort some of Hawk's blind excitement. I think announcers need to provide a little ra-ra, but with DJ alongside him HH had free reign to just pump the Sox fan up over informing him/her

I'm one that actually think HH offers a lot when on his game. In the past Ive actually liked him more when we were losing a game.

I agree. Hawk was better in the '80s and early '90s, before he became a caricature of himself. But his enthusiasm and outright homerism are welcome at times. I couldn't imagine watching/listening to a Sox game without either him or Farmer. For good or bad, both are simply White Sox Baseball to me.

Also agreed about Stoney giving Hawk a few much-needed reality checks. They work well together, and Hawk obviously respects Stone a lot more than he did DJ. Stoney and Farmer were very good as well.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Hawk is great when the Sox are good, but when they go bad, he gets intolerable.

Meanwhile, Hawk and Stone is an awesome duo!

Or when he starts b****ing about the umps. I love his sayings though.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
I can't believe no one has been at all irritated by stoney. I like him as an announcer but sometimes his analysis of certain situations are so obvious, that I'd like it to go unsaid, instead of listening to his slow, boring tone. That being said, I enjoy the combo of hawk and stoney. I love that combo.

That slow boring tone is no longer on the radio. DJ is faster paced with Ed and Stone can stand up to Hawk. Radio and TV have both improved.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Actually no. Hawk is much better with Stone next to him. Both the radio duo and the Tv duo have improved tremendously this offseason.

+20

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
Stone holds Hawk's feet to the fire. The negative aspects of Hawk are held in check so far, and I hope it continues throughout the year.

agreed...

I don't miss DJ that much, except for the "Don't strap in on" type comments

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
^^

I literally used to watch games in silence when it was Hawk and DJ sometimes. If we were playing the Twins, I had decided I'd rather listen to their announcers than to hear Hawk sucking off Carlos Gomez for 3 hours.

Wow. I realize Hawk and DJ were painful (and Hawk still is) when we played the Twins, but I'd take them over Dick and Bert any day. I cannot stand those two idiots.

Also, the little I've heard of Stoney so far has been awesome. It's good to listen to a game from someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
Wow. I realize Hawk and DJ were painful (and Hawk still is) when we played the Twins, but I'd take them over Dick and Bert any day. I cannot stand those two idiots.

Also, the little I've heard of Stoney so far has been awesome. It's good to listen to a game from someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

I can't stand them either, but I'm serious. It was either that or just mute my speakers (most of the time I just did the second one).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
I can't stand them either, but I'm serious. It was either that or just mute my speakers (most of the time I just did the second one).

Heh, yeah. I find myself watching the Twins a fair amount since I'm living in Minnesota and I just end up muting the TV, it's not worth listening to them. In Kevin Slowey's first start they compared him to Brad Radke, who they then compared to Greg Maddux. Then, of course, a comment was made about how Slowey was like Greg Maddux. I almost destroyed my TV.

I don't have a tv so i listen to farmer/dj every game. It is the best stuff I've ever heard! DJ just owns farmer, but farmer plays off it wonderfully. DJ's analyses have really become something of substance as well. DJ is a wonderful broadcaster; I absolutely love this tandem. Give it a try for a few games.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
Or when he starts b****ing about the umps.

I see no difference in him voicing his opinion about the umpiring... than say us here at soxtalk. There truly is none, at least how i see it. I will admit he goes overboard for the sake of it at times because of aggravation, but then again the same is done here on a daily basis.

Umps get calls wrong every game, whether it is a pitch, or a play at a bag, etc. This is a fact of life and it is not changing any time soon. Throughout pretty much every broadcast in the majors throughout the game you will hear ''where was that pitch?'' plus much more. What i am getting at is hawk is definitely not alone in this aspect.

Everyone could either a. come to terms with that fact that umps blow call and not bring it up... or, b. speak of it when a call is blown. People choose the latter because the former is not realistic.

Edited by qwerty

Everyone could either a. come to terms with that fact that umps blow call and not bring it up... or, b. speak of it when a call is blown. People choose the latter because the former not realistic.

this is something i've always pondered about when discussing baseball games, it happens in every game.. umps blow calls, I for one, 99% of the time will never talk (out loud) and disagree with it. If I was a manger, id be some sort of pacifist to the umps haha. I do post on here and say "that was a bs call" or something merely for the sake of saying whats wrong etc.

I guess online im just more violent then in real life, but any way - that could go a long discussion, IMO we should just understand bad calls are a part of game, and not really talk/complain about them unless one thinks the ump is conspiring.

I actually think that DJ is opening up a little bit since getting away from Hawk. It seems like he was too comfortable just parroting whatever Hawk was gabbing about that day. Farmio and DJ have been a lot more fluid and I like their chemistry thus far.

I feel like Hawk bothers me now... but if (When) he ever passed away I would really miss him.