4/13 Games

scenario

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Probably because they have Brandon Phillips ensconced at 2B already, and that's where a lot of teams were projecting Beckham.

Now, he's (Beckham) certainly better than Gonzalez (SS), Encarnacion (3B) and whoever they have playing LF on any given day...so maybe they foresaw Alonso playing in LF? I don't know.

One more thing about the game yesterday...James Adkins (Lookouts) was the Dodgers' #1 pick in 2007.

and im positive beckham has faced adkins before as adkins was a tennessee guy and beckham a georgia bulldog

i dont think beckham will develop as much power as longoria, even if gordon did hit more HR in college. also he wont be as good defensively, but hopefully he will be quicker on the bases, have a higher average and be able to stay at SS.....i really think ian kinsler is a good comparison

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
I think so.

What I want to know---why the hell did the Reds pass on Beckham for another lefty 1B, in Alonso? They have Votto and Bruce for lefty power. I'm not saying Alonso is going to be a bust, but wow I think they blew it. So, thank you, Reds.

Maybe they did what the Brewers did when they selected Matt Laporta. Basically drafting the guy as trade bait.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
I think Allen is gonna force KW's hand the way Howard forced Thome out. Of course it was a lot easier to trade Thome back then compared to trying to trade one of Thome/Konerko.

Allen still probably needs another half season at least after this year. Thome is a FA and he won't be returning. If Dye keeps hitting like he has the past 3 years, there's little reason why we shouldn't pick up his option.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
The idea of having a 1b who is capable of a triple is just mind boggling. Really makes me excited.

Yes I know Konerko managed a few triples a decade ago.

How can any White Sox fan complain about Paul Konerko? Allen will be very lucky to have the career Konerko has had. In fact, the odds are he doesn't.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Unless the market completely shifts back to normal this offseason, I can think of about $4 million or so reasons why we wouldn't.

Jermaine Dye at $12 million in 2010 at age 36 is playing with fire...even if he was the full-time DH, it would make much more sense with our ballclub to find someone like an Orlando Hudson or Chone Figgins to be the DH. We could have had Abreu for $5 million (plus $1 million buyout for JD) and used that $6 million somewhere else...bullpen, CF, 4th/5th starter to replace Contreras/Colon, etc.

We still have plenty of power in our line-up with the addition of Fields and the future additions of Beckham/Viciedo/Flowers/Allen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
I think so.

What I want to know---why the hell did the Reds pass on Beckham for another lefty 1B, in Alonso? They have Votto and Bruce for lefty power. I'm not saying Alonso is going to be a bust, but wow I think they blew it. So, thank you, Reds.

There were a lot of people that doubted Beckham's ability to become a star. So far it looks like he might turn into one, but you still have to remember he's not a guy that will lead the league in HR's or RBI's or anything like that. The best shot of him being a star is staying at SS, hitting over .300 with 20-25 HR's, a s***ton of doubles, and a .380+ OBP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
How can any White Sox fan complain about Paul Konerko? Allen will be very lucky to have the career Konerko has had. In fact, the odds are he doesn't.

I'd say there is a 98% chance that he doesn't have the career Konerko did. Konerko was a highly touted minor leaguer who lived up to his hype. The guy has been an all star, won a world series, and all and all been one of the better first baseman over the past 7 to 8 years. Best, no, but above average, absolutely.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
I'd say there is a 98% chance that he doesn't have the career Konerko did. Konerko was a highly touted minor leaguer who lived up to his hype. The guy has been an all star, won a world series, and all and all been one of the better first baseman over the past 7 to 8 years. Best, no, but above average, absolutely.

Agreed. A guy that averages .278/31/100 over his 9+ big leagues seasons is a bit hard to live up to.