Texas Rangers

kapkomet

I'll just say it. These guys steal signs at the Ballpark like no tomorrow. They score a bazillion runs and then go to Detroit and can't score any, then they come home and score (nearly) double digits again. It's not warm or anything, so the bandaid box effect isn't quite there yet.

I know there was some controversy about this a couple of years ago with the Sox, and frankly, I think they're up to it again.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
I'd give a lineup with Davis, Hamilton, Cruz, and Blalock the benefit of the doubt before calling them cheaters, but that's just me.

When you can score at home and you cannot score on the road, there's some funny business going on.

They score a ton of runs at home because it's the best park to hit at in all of baseball. The infield is like concrete, and the warm weather allows the ball to carry to all fields. They've had a lot of turnover with their team over the last few years, so I'm sure someone would have snitched by now. Don't you think DeRosa would have said something when the Cubs played there a few years ago?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
They score a ton of runs at home because it's the best park to hit at in all of baseball. The infield is like concrete, and the warm weather allows the ball to carry to all fields. They've had a lot of turnover with their team over the last few years, so I'm sure someone would have snitched by now. Don't you think DeRosa would have said something when the Cubs played there a few years ago?

It shouldn't make as much of a difference as it does though, I don't think. I am not 100% convinced its going on, but I am leaning that direction.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
It shouldn't make as much of a difference as it does though, I don't think. I am not 100% convinced its going on, but I am leaning that direction.

Maybe their park makes them into a lot better hitters than they actually are? Thus, when they're on the road, they have a lineup full of mediocre to average players?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Maybe their park makes them into a lot better hitters than they actually are? Thus, when they're on the road, they have a lineup full of mediocre to average players?

Were you responding to my post, or someone else's? I said it shouldn't make AS MUCH a difference as it does - not that there would be no difference at all. Unless the fences are 100 feet closer, the difference shouldn't be as dramatic as it is, consistently, for their power hitters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Were you responding to my post, or someone else's? I said it shouldn't make AS MUCH a difference as it does - not that there would be no difference at all. Unless the fences are 100 feet closer, the difference shouldn't be as dramatic as it is, consistently, for their power hitters.

It was just a thought out loud, not in reference to anyone specifically.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Stealing signs isn't necessarily cheating, it depends on how the signs are stolen.

supposedly signs are stolen from the centerfield scoreboard and relayed to the Rangers dugout(not sure how, i have heard certain lights indicate certain things)

I would think the best way to get a good sense statistically as to whether they're stealing signs would be to look at their home and away K rate and BB rate. I assume that these would be the stats least affected by the ballpark. I don't think it's particularly dry in their stadium, so breaking balls should still break. Here's their home and away splits thus far this year. Someone else can check on previous years and compare it with other teams' splits:

Road: 24Ks in 104 PAs

Road: 14 BBs in 104 PAs

Home: 32 Ks in 162 PAs

Home: 14 BBs in 162 PAs

Edited by JorgeFabregas

Maybe they can score a ton at home because it's normally 70+ degrees down there. They then travel to Detroit, where it's been cold of late, and don't produce. The cold weather effects a lot of players. I imagine it would have a huge difference, especially for a team that plays in Texas. Just saying.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Maybe they can score a ton at home because it's normally 70+ degrees down there. They then travel to Detroit, where it's been cold of late, and don't produce. The cold weather effects a lot of players. I imagine it would have a huge difference, especially for a team that plays in Texas. Just saying.

The weather here hasn't really been all that warm so far. In fact, opening day for them last week it was in the 50's with a 30 mph wind blowing in at game time.

I know that the stadium makes some difference. But to me, it seems like just a little too much.

It is nice tonight - 76 degrees right now and no wind at all.

I'm telling you, it stinks.

I think I might go do some investigative reporting when the Sox come to town. I might try to get some behind the plate tickets so I can watch what the batters see.

:lol:

"Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left..." :D

Another piece of circumstantial evidence I noted there a few years back... there was a series the Sox played there, in 2005 or 2006, I can't recall. Buehrle and another Sox starter (Garland maybe?) got absolutely shelled in two straight games. Then a third game came along, with a rookie pitcher (McCarthy), and a different catcher (Widger I suppose, if it was 2005) - the Rangers went from scoring double digits to being shut out or nearly so. Different catcher with different signs, pitcher with unknown stuff - nothing to reference.

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.