Will White Sox fans also boo BA if he goes 0/8?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Pods came here as a career minor leaguer who had a little spurt of success with Milwaukee.

Then had a down year with them. Was traded here for a very productive hitter.

People were down on that trade, yes. Those in the know.

But if he struck out his first two at-bats at US Cellular, I wonder what the reaction was/wouldve been.

My big thing is with the fact that it was TWO at-bats. That to me is charged with something a little extra, and of course alcohol sales and reported things happening at Wrigley all make the mind consider possibilities.

Yeah after 2 WEEKS of Sox fans and Media alike complaining that Wise WAS NOT THE RIGHT GUY FOR THE LEADOFF HITTER after Ozzie named him the leadoff.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Yeah after 2 WEEKS of Sox fans and Media alike complaining that Wise WAS NOT THE RIGHT GUY FOR THE LEADOFF HITTER after Ozzie named him the leadoff.

Important point. Most of the Chicago sports media were starting the "Wise is not a leadoff hitter" talk, and I'd say that's where the average fan gets their info.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Important point. Most of the Chicago sports media were starting the "Wise is not a leadoff hitter" talk, and I'd say that's where the average fan gets their info.

Agreed. And the media is not always right, but this one was a no-brainer.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)

And ironically enough; Lawrence Holmes was one of the more vocal Wise detractors.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
And ironically enough; Lawrence Holmes was one of the more vocal Wise detractors.

Well I wouldnt expect that to be ironic at all as he's a knowing baseball person. The people on here are all knowing.

I have some serious doubt that everyone booing at the stadium had that amount of perspective. I guess we wont know one way or the other.

It's interesting to me that some here say this would easily happen at Wrigley but not at US Cellular. I remember Brian McRae saying that taunts from the bleachers were disgusting. I wonder how Milton Bradley will find the Confines. To the Sox fans' credit I havent heard anything of Brian McRae's type complaints from a Sox outfielder.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Well I wouldnt expect that to be ironic at all as he's a knowing baseball person. The people on here are all knowing.

I have some serious doubt that everyone booing at the stadium had that amount of perspective. I guess we wont know one way or the other.

It's interesting to me that some here say this would easily happen at Wrigley but not at US Cellular. I remember Brian McRae saying that taunts from the bleachers were disgusting. I wonder how Milton Bradley will find the Confines. To the Sox fans' credit I havent heard anything of Brian McRae's type complaints from a Sox outfielder.

Jaque.Jones.

Horry.Kow.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)

Which also goes back to an earlier dismissed point about Cubs fans wearing the "Horry Kow" t-shirts and the White Sox fans simply appreciating Iguchi and Shingo.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Lesson learned for today: Kill Whitey

LMAO

by the way, where is Shipps and his big bag of Iams? He would have been fun in this thread

Edited by kyyle23

I just want to weigh in real quick.

I was SHOCKED when Wise started getting booed, but I wasn't exactly astounded that it happened.... I wasn't happy with him playing center or leading off due to the fact his defense isn't stellar and his OBP and career stats don't scream lead-off. But I realized that Ozzie preferred a speedy lead off man in CF; and Wise had a great spring and was clutch down the stretch last year. Who wasn't on board with the one night only "Rally D.Weezy"? at thet time?! Obviously though everyone could see that he had no place being the everyday lead-off hitter coming into the season.

Anyway, I rolled my eyes at his start watching from home but for the fans to boo at the stadium, I was really legit surprised. I guess I understood it, I mean I felt them from my couch. I was just very surprised it translated in the stadium; where I try and be the ultimate optimist.

I've only read 3 of the first 11 pages but I just want to comment that SouthsideDon48 I understand your perspective on subconscious biases and white dominance perhaps subconsciously affecting how some fans might feel about players. It's an interesting point to bring up; but I think racial bias isn't as present in fandom as in other aspects of society due to the fact that most fans care about the team and will equally love all players that contribute to their team; despite which players they may "relate" more to.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm not saying the board is racist, nowhere did I say in my post the word "racist".

For better clarification, I think a better term would be "inherently biased".

That's it, just biased behavior.

Being biased and racist are two totally different things.

I don't think it's a bad thing to be "inherently biased" and if that means race plays some part in it then we shouldn't apologize for it because it's not racism its more culturalism. Most whites , hang with whites, blacks with blacks, , different Native American tribes warred with each other. There's truth in the old saying "Birds of a feather flock together" . Mostly blacks went to Negro league games. Japanese fans come to the ballparks to watch Ichiro. Everyone roots more for their own kind.

The real truth is , as sports fans we root against guys who suck and cheer for those who play well. I can honestly say Dye's way more popular than Brian Anderson is only because he's a better player. Wise has offensive and defensive flaws ,career minor leaguer, wasn't with the Sox for as many years as Brian . Anderson is younger ,maybe still has upside offensively, a talented defensive player, was on the World Series winning team and always seems to have a big grin on his face. We as fans just "know" him better and ALSO see him as a better player who can be a solution to a problem. We see Wise as only a stopgap.

I applaud your courage to state your opinion because I'm sure you knew damn well people on the board would be very reactionary. I for one think there's a grain of truth to what you said , but more of it is based on knowing Anderson better, performance and perceived upside.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I think the organization seems pretty diverse with a Jewish owner, an African American GM, and a manager from Venezuela. Sox fans don't boo color of skin, they boo bad decisions, consistently poor performance, or lack of hustle. That's not to say you don't identify more with someone like you. I'm a white guy who was a catcher in little league. Fisk is my all time favorite and I have and AJ jersey. That doesn't mean I didn't love Frank and own his jersey as well. I'm a huge KW fan and love the way he is ahead of the curve. As far a Crede vs. Dye love, Crede came up through the Sox system. We follow these guys from the day they are drafted (see Beckham). Sadly, I have no doubt that racism exists. I just don't think it is why Sox fans would boo one player over another. I think Sox fans would root for blue skin players if they hustled and produced on the field.