Will White Sox fans also boo BA if he goes 0/8?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Wise/Getz was explained as people arent booing Getz because they are more patient about someone who has a higher ceiling.

But if it's a booing of front office decisions, they should still be unhappy with an unproven guy being put in there. After all, they had similar recent AAA numbers.

Are we really to believe that those people booing in that stadium have this huge problem with Wise being 31? They want the Sox to win the game at hand.

Wise is being booed because he is 31 years old and hasn't shown MLB-level starting talent, yet KW was apparently relying on either him or Owens.

Getz is not being booed because he is a 25 year old rookie who has shown a lot of potential.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
That's my whole point though. No one touches the reason behind his popularity. He's a monumentally untalented basketball player who is cheered by the entire crowd every time he puts up a shot. It's really something to witness if yr ever flipping around and see the Celtics in garbage time.

No one really touches on the reason for his popularity with a ten foot pole however. Thats where I wish we'd take the next step in discussion like this, nationwide that is. Talking more about what's unintentional but still a problem. Again this is something I see myself doing as well.

The same reason people cheered wildly for Manute Bol and Muggsy Bogues.

Scalabrine is a pasty, uncoordinated, red-headed white guy who shoots 3's and entertains the crowd. Easy going personality, funny, and very receptive to the fans. Doesnt try to act "thuggish" (a common complaint amongst those who hate on the NBA) and he just makes it easy to root for him. People always root for the underdog.

Manute Bol was a 7'7" wire thin, African with an accent. He was always smiling, blocked shots, shot 3's surprisingly well and was goofy. Instant crowd favorite. Muggsy Bogues was so short people rooted for him on that alone.

Following your logic, are we to believe that there is also a bias against average height NBA players because of the love these two got.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
That's my whole point though. No one touches the reason behind his popularity. He's a monumentally untalented basketball player who is cheered by the entire crowd every time he puts up a shot. It's really something to witness if yr ever flipping around and see the Celtics in garbage time.

No one really touches on the reason for his popularity with a ten foot pole however. Thats where I wish we'd take the next step in discussion like this, nationwide that is. Talking more about what's unintentional but still a problem. Again this is something I see myself doing as well.

If he is so popular as you say, why doesnt anyone know that he is popular? You would think that a guy with some sort of percieved popularity(especially if it may or may not be because he is white) would be a little bit more of a known quantity. The only person I have ever heard bring his name up in any race conversation that I have ever read or participated in, is you.

He is a goofy looking bench player, of course fans of a dominant championship team want to see the goofy guy at the end of the bench play, thats the way fans work. Now if the Celtics were a mediocre team that wasnt going to make the playoffs, do you still think that Scalabrine would be this (so-called) icon that you are making him out to be?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Let's talk about the NBA then... I see zero, American born white guys on this list.

Again with people bring up star examples. Obviously the all-out racist guy isnt going to hate Jordan if he's a basketball fan.

Where the situation is really tested is when you have lower talent guys. In the case of Scalabrine, out-of-NBA type talent.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
For the 3rd time it's not racism.

Wise/Getz was explained as people arent booing Getz because they are more patient about someone who has a higher ceiling.

But if it's a booing of front office decisions (as some claim), they should still be unhappy with an unproven guy being put in there. After all, they had similar recent AAA numbers.

Are we really to believe that those people booing in that stadium have this huge problem with Wise being 31? How much of the crowd knows his age? They want the Sox to win the game at hand.

Dye/Crede I dont remember being shut down, but I'd agree it's more of a close call. Crede is more popular than Dye amongst the garden variety US Cellular attendee. There's no discernible difference in personality, and if anything one has just been noticeably better and more important to the team's success.

Scalabrine simply brought up as the extreme of what we're talking about b/c of his unwarranted standing o's.

You are saying its racism, without using that word. Racism, bias, prejudice... whatever, if its bias about race, its racism. And you have zero ammo to back up your claim.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Wise is being booed because he is 31 years old and hasn't shown MLB-level starting talent, yet KW was apparently relying on either him or Owens.

Getz is not being booed because he is a 25 year old rookie who has shown a lot of potential.

I agree that this is the board's mindset.

But can we really believe that huge amount of booing in The Cell was done with the knowledge that Wise is 31?

Some of the people in that crowd read every stat available on every player. Some have not been to ESPN.com ever. It's the booing that day that got me upset. The talk around here is very well informed with regards to players' backgrounds.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I agree that this is the board's mindset.

But can we really believe that huge amount of booing in The Cell was done with the knowledge that Wise is 31?

Some of the people in that crowd read every stat available on every player. Some have not been to ESPN.com ever. It's the booing that day that got me upset. The talk around here is very well informed with regards to players' backgrounds.

people arent booing him because of his age. They are booing because he is past the point in his life where he should be a productive player, and yes White Sox fans know that Wise is out of position in the lineup and on the field.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Again with people bring up star examples. Obviously the all-out racist guy isnt going to hate Jordan if he's a basketball fan.

Where the situation is really tested is when you have lower talent guys. In the case of Scalabrine, out-of-NBA type talent.

So basically the only test that applies is if you narrow the window to such a narrow point that only one player fits through it? Really? This discussion is a waste of time in that case.

There really just aren't very many black baseball players to begin with. Here's a challenge for you: If I spot you CC and Dontrelle Willis (lol he doesnt really count) then name another black, non-Latin MLB SP.

Also, finish this sentence: If Adam Jones was drafted/acquired by the Sox and had similar results to what he's had on the Orioles, injury included, Sox fans would _______ if he struck out 3 times on Opening Day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
So basically the only test that applies is if you narrow the window to such a narrow point that only one player fits through it? Really? This discussion is a waste of time in that case.

It has kind of been that way for 5+ pages

I'm way too lazy to read all of the thread, but fact remains that even the most layman Sox fan knows that, at this point in his career, Wise's 'potential' is pretty low compared to almost any other option in our system.

And yet, thats the solution we came to think was best for our CF job and leadoff hitter.

They have a right to boo what the organization decided was our 'best option' for success in CF and leadoff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)

Well youre asking me to prove that a racist would never buy a Kobe Bryant jersey. I cant do that.

To me what we're discussing is a lot more subtle than that. It's not just Scalabrine though, I mean the popularity of college basketball and hockey are in part driven by things some would not want to face. It works the other way too, the NBA sells a big chunk of those jerseys to minorities and the Sox cap itself...we know what connotation that has had. The connotation probably paid for Albert Belle oddly enough.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
I'm way too lazy to read all of the thread, but fact remains that even the most layman Sox fan knows that, at this point in his career, Wise's 'potential' is pretty low compared to almost any other option in our system.

And yet, thats the solution we came to think was best for our CF job and leadoff hitter.

They have a right to boo what the organization decided was our 'best option' for success in CF and leadoff.

I will help you out, look at post #16. Then you will know why this thread is as long as it is, and you wont need to read the middle unless you feel like it

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
I will help you out, look at post #16. Then you will know why this thread is as long as it is, and you wont need to read the middle unless you feel like it

I cant speak for the guy who started the discussion, but I wish people wouldnt take this as accusation.

It should be no shock that racial thinking takes part in our society. US is a melting pot. Few other nations have the massive involvement we had in the slave trade. We have problems here dealing with that history and it hasnt faded, just changes.

We'd like to think of baseball as a pure area that's free of that, but I dont see why it would be different from everything else.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
There really just aren't very many black baseball players to begin with. Here's a challenge for you: If I spot you CC and Dontrelle Willis (lol he doesnt really count) then name another black, non-Latin MLB SP.

Also, finish this sentence: If Adam Jones was drafted/acquired by the Sox and had similar results to what he's had on the Orioles, injury included, Sox fans would _______ if he struck out 3 times on Opening Day.

No one responded. mmkay.

I tend to think the bolded part directly addresses why Wise was being booed or why Anderson is seen as different from Wise.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Well youre asking me to prove that a racist would never buy a Kobe Bryant jersey. I cant do that.

To me what we're discussing is a lot more subtle than that. It's not just Scalabrine though, I mean the popularity of college basketball and hockey are in part driven by things some would not want to face. It works the other way too, the NBA sells a big chunk of those jerseys to minorities and the Sox cap itself...we know what connotation that has had. The connotation probably paid for Albert Belle oddly enough.

But you are willing to say that people rooting for Scalabrine are racists. I can't do that either. There are a million different legitimate reasons to root for a player that get ignored in that scenario. Heck one of my all-time favorite baseball players is Jeff Bajenaru. He just happens to have some absolutely horrible statistics at the major league level. Does that make me a racist? Uh, no. Baj was one of the greatest guys I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and that's what I rooted for him to make it, dispite his lack of talent. I know in basketball a proud tradition is rooting hard for the 12 man on the team to make an appearence, and then going crazy once he does. Could a large portion of Scalabrine's "fans" be of that ilk? The idea that people are only rooting for him because he is white is so incredibly narrow-minded it boggles the mind.

I also won't say that people who are college basketball and hockey fans are racist for some unknown reason either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
No one responded. mmkay.

I tend to think the bolded part directly addresses why Wise was being booed or why Anderson is seen as different from Wise.

You're absolutely right. I mean Alexei has earned some good will too on this very team.

But I just think Getz and Wise is the perfect comparison because one guy took over for the other the next day. And then proceeded to fail.

Getz hasnt done anything for the Sox org, Wise had clutch RBIs last season.

I'd like to think the fans know Wise isnt an ideal leadoff hitter, but I have to wonder how many of those people booing know his exact career OBP and age.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
You're absolutely right. I mean Alexei has earned some good will too on this very team.

But I just think Getz and Wise is the perfect comparison because one guy took over for the other the next day. And then proceeded to fail.

I'd like to think the fans know Wise isnt an ideal leadoff hitter, but I have to wonder how many of those people booing know his exact career OBP and age.

Getz had like 2 games as the leadoff hitter and he's a rookie with a clean slate. Give some fans credit, they know what Wise is.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)

People are all over Getz because he is an unknown quanitity with his future ahead of him. Its the same reason people are clammoring for Beckham, Viciedo, Brandon Allen, Jordan Danks, etc, etc. That has nothing to do with race. People are always wanting the next big thing, not the guy who you know all of his holes. Its the same reason the most popular guy in most cities is the back up QB.

Also just aside from the discussion, Wise was .319/.402 last year at Charlottle.

Getz was .302/.366, albeit in many more at-bats.

If fans are booing the front office for not preparing us for THIS year, they need to keep on doing it I guess until Getz proves he's a top of the order MLB hitter.

My whole view is though that booing is pointless to begin with.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)

Half of David Price 2 months from now and Edwin Jackson. Is Jeremy Guthrie part black? That's about it. If you expand to relievers you'll get a few more like Darren Oliver and Arthur Rhodes.

And as for Adam Jones, they'd let him be seeing as how he's incredibly talented and still very young.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Also just aside from the discussion, Wise was .319/.402 last year at Charlottle.

Getz was .302/.366, albeit in many more at-bats.

If fans are booing the front office for not preparing us for THIS year, they need to keep on doing it I guess until Getz proves he's a top of the order MLB hitter.

My whole view is though that booing is pointless to begin with.

Wise was a 30 year old, Getz was not. Brad Eldred had a big year in AAA. Why isn't he the clean up hitter?