Will White Sox fans also boo BA if he goes 0/8?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Half of David Price 2 months from now and Edwin Jackson. Is Jeremy Guthrie part black? That's about it. If you expand to relievers you'll get a few more like Darren Oliver and Arthur Rhodes.

And as for Adam Jones, they'd let him be seeing as how he's incredibly talented and still very young.

Part A: you and your baseball encyclopedia mind don't count

Part B: Pretty much the answer I was going for

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying we could compare Adam Jones to BA, or Adam Jones to Wise?

Adam Jones was the centerpiece of the Bedard trade...and was even more highly-regarded than Anderson.

Personally, I don't think he would be booed in Chicago...had we traded Buehrle for him, until at least 3-4 months into the season.

The issue here is that Anderson is not so tremendously/clearly/quantifiably BETTER than either Wise or Owens in any respect but defensively...and yet Anderson wouldn't receive nearly the level of booing (and we can say it was all for Ozzie and KW, fine), especially had he failed on 3 bunt attempts.

I also don't remember Crede ever being booed as loudly as Wise was, despite extended periods of non-performance/K's and flares to 2B/RF...the fact that it was only the first or second game of the season, that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. It's not like we are a sure-fire contender for the World Series. Are the expectations so high in Chicago that we're now like the Braves, Yankees, Angels and Red Sox fans?

Or, how about this, has a player in only the first or second game of the season ever been so roundly booed in St. Louis?

We're booing KW and Ozzie because they won a World Series championship and because we've had the most successful franchise since 1990 of every team but the Yankees, Braves and Red Sox???

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Also just aside from the discussion, Wise was .319/.402 last year at Charlottle.

Getz was .302/.366, albeit in many more at-bats.

If fans are booing the front office for not preparing us for THIS year, they need to keep on doing it I guess until Getz proves he's a top of the order MLB hitter.

My whole view is though that booing is pointless to begin with.

What Wise did last year as a 30 year old in AAA is irrelevant, he's proven over the past 12 years that he can't even hit minor league pitching, a few fluky months changes nothing.

You're comparing a 31 year old with a career .309 minor league OBP and sub .300 2009 spring OBP to a 25 year old with a .361 career minor league OBP and .400+? 2009 spring OBP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
But you are willing to say that people rooting for Scalabrine are racists. I can't do that either. There are a million different legitimate reasons to root for a player that get ignored in that scenario. Heck one of my all-time favorite baseball players is Jeff Bajenaru. He just happens to have some absolutely horrible statistics at the major league level. Does that make me a racist? Uh, no. Baj was one of the greatest guys I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and that's what I rooted for him to make it, dispite his lack of talent. I know in basketball a proud tradition is rooting hard for the 12 man on the team to make an appearence, and then going crazy once he does. Could a large portion of Scalabrine's "fans" be of that ilk? The idea that people are only rooting for him because he is white is so incredibly narrow-minded it boggles the mind.

Agreed. And I think there's weight behind what the poster said regarding Muggsy Bogues and Manute Bol, although I think there are examples that werent such niche guys. I suppose it's true that Scalabrine has a bit of the freak factor, if that's the larger point.

I also won't say that people who are college basketball and hockey fans are racist for some unknown reason either.

See, I didnt phrase it that way. I said racial thinking goes into it.

African-Americans probably make up a low portion of the hockey fan viewing public. It's probably the thinking that the players dont look like me so I wont have much in common with it.

I've also heard it said that people prefer college basketball because it has less of the cornrows look about it than NBA. It's the same thing in reverse. I'm not calling one side of that bad or good.

But it's there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)

Adam Jones was the centerpiece of the Bedard trade...and was even more highly-regarded than Anderson.

Personally, I don't think he would be booed in Chicago...had we traded Buehrle for him, until at least 3-4 months into the season.

The issue here is that Anderson is not so tremendously/clearly/quantifiably BETTER than either Wise or Owens in any respect but defensively...and yet Anderson wouldn't receive nearly the level of booing (and we can say it was all for Ozzie and KW, fine), especially had he failed on 3 bunt attempts.

I also don't remember Crede ever being booed as loudly as Wise was, despite extended periods of non-performance/K's and flares to 2B/RF...the fact that it was only the first or second game of the season, that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. It's not like we are a sure-fire contender for the World Series. Are the expectations so high in Chicago that we're now like the Braves, Yankees, Angels and Red Sox fans?

Or, how about this, has a player in only the first or second game of the season ever been so roundly booed in St. Louis?

We're booing KW and Ozzie because they won a World Series championship and because we've had the most successful franchise since 1990 of every team but the Yankees, Braves and Red Sox???

How the hell can you say that with any sort of certainty?

And are we really comparing the loudness of boos now?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Well youre asking me to prove that a racist would never buy a Kobe Bryant jersey. I cant do that.

To me what we're discussing is a lot more subtle than that. It's not just Scalabrine though, I mean the popularity of college basketball and hockey are in part driven by things some would not want to face. It works the other way too, the NBA sells a big chunk of those jerseys to minorities and the Sox cap itself...we know what connotation that has had. The connotation probably paid for Albert Belle oddly enough.

You have got to be kidding. College basketball is popular because people are racist? I don't know really know what else you're trying to say there.

Take a look at the Elite 8 teams this year and the players associated with that team

UNC - Hansbrough/Lawson

MSU - Lucas/Suton

UCONN - Thabeet/Price

OU - Griffin

Nova - Reynolds

Mizzou - Carroll

L'Ville - Williams/Samuels

Pitt - Blair/Fields

That does nothing to further any type of point you are trying to make.

And I love hockey, but it's hardly popular in comparisons to the NFL/NBA/MLB.

You are really grasping at straws with those ridiculous arguments

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

A certain segment of the fanbase still feels there is potential for BA to improve based on things that have already been stated in this thread (and ad nauseam since the 2007 offseason). You clearly do not agree and don't see why he gets leeway. Really it's this simple. There is no need to try and add other factors into it where there aren't any. The point of bringing up Adam Jones was to show that Sox fans are able to tell the difference between two players.

Dare we get started on NASCAR, field hockey, polo and the professional golf tours (both PGA and LPGA)...?

Better left for another day, I think. Or Filibuster, if we go in that direction.

As far as booing Anderson goes....we shall find out in the next 2-3 weeks. There's pretty much nothing left to say about this matter for now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
What Wise did last year as a 30 year old in AAA is irrelevant, he's proven over the past 12 years that he can't even hit minor league pitching, a few fluky months changes nothing.

You're comparing a 31 year old with a career .309 minor league OBP and sub .300 2009 spring OBP to a 25 year old with a .361 career minor league OBP and .400+? 2009 spring OBP.

But if we're real real honest, dont you think the majority of those booing fans wanted to win that day?

Even if they dont know anyone's minor league #s (i think a lot of those fans fall in that category)...... they shouldve liked the most recent stuff they saw from Wise which was postseason clutch hitting!

I agree that shouldnt make Wise's leash long. I'm glad he's out of #1 hole. But the leash is microscopic if we boo after 2 at-bats, c'mon.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
But if we're real real honest, dont you think the majority of those booing fans wanted to win that day?

Even if they dont know anyone's minor league #s (i think a lot of those fans fall in that category)...... they shouldve liked the most recent stuff they saw from Wise which was postseason clutch hitting!

I agree that shouldnt make Wise's leash long. I'm glad he's out of #1 hole. But the leash is microscopic if we boo after 2 at-bats, c'mon.

He got 2 f***ing hits in the postseason, that doesn't make him a leadoff hitter for a title contender. The fact of the matter is: at every stop in this guy's career he proved that he shouldn't hit atop a major league lineup and the fans knew it.

When Brian Anderson steps up to bat...what do people hear?

I have to say it's a cheer that's just a little disproportionate to his achievements here.

He's a great defensive player. Wise has gotten RBI's in a division race and playoffs.

If all was perfectly earned, it should be crickets for both of them when they step up though.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

Well if the Getz/Wise, BA/Wise and Crede/Dye comparisons dont work we might as well try a Crede/Wise comparison!!!

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
When Brian Anderson steps up to bat...what do people hear?

I have to say it's a cheer that's just a little disproportionate to his achievements here.

He's a great defensive player. Wise has gotten RBI's in a division race and playoffs.

If all was perfectly earned, it should be crickets for both of them when they step up though.

I pretty much hear the same thing as when any other Sox player comes up to bat. When he strikes out sometimes I hear exasperated sighs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
He got 2 f***ing hits in the postseason, that doesn't make him a leadoff hitter for a title contender. The fact of the matter is: at every stop in this guy's career he proved that he shouldn't hit atop a major league lineup and the fans knew it.

It Getz returns and struggles how long will it take for boos to begin though?

If they ever leadoff BA, which now seems it wont happen....that would be the proof, as he's 27 and most fans know he's been around the organization awhile.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
It Getz returns and struggles how long will it take for boos to begin though?

He's a freakin rookie so he probably wont be booed at all this season. The Wise-Getz comparison just makes no sense whatsoever.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
ChavezTalk.com

Joe Crede was on the outs with the fanbase going into 2005.

There was some hardcore Crede hate before he had his breakout season. People waited years to see the two time minor league MVP and were pissed about it. He got some nasty stuff in 2004 and 2005. Heck I remember Vinny Castilla talk from someone... Talk about brutal, at least Chavez was good. People were bringing up Randa and Castilla.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
He's a freakin rookie so he probably wont be booed at all this season. The Wise-Getz comparison just makes no sense whatsoever.

Pods came here as a career minor leaguer who had a little spurt of success with Milwaukee.

Then had a down year with them. Was traded here for a very productive hitter.

People were down on that trade, yes. Those in the know.

But if he struck out his first two at-bats at US Cellular, I wonder what the reaction was/wouldve been.

My big thing is with the fact that it was TWO at-bats. That to me is charged with something a little extra, and of course alcohol sales and reported things happening at Wrigley all make the mind consider possibilities.

Edited by Princess Dye