Will White Sox fans also boo BA if he goes 0/8?

caulfield12

Are you talking about 'swing looked better' or as you put it 'performance'

b/c regarding the latter, when Brian does get an extended look, I dont know if there's discernible improvement.

Actually had 89 at-bats from May thru June last year... 18 for 89.

Whereas towards the end of the year, his obp actually went up when he was getting more sparse at-bats.

game log http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/game...6&year=2008

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even need to read the thread to understand it implies white fans of the White Sox are racist. All I can tell you is this: I've been to a lot of games at The Cell and at Wrigley (obviously far more at The Cell.) I am also a Sox fan and perhaps biased, but I have not seen obvious examples of racism at work in my time at The Cell. I have, however, seen it at Wrigley Field. I think Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville are not friendly places for minorities, and although I am white and that doesn't directly affect me as a result, it's one of the many reasons I have distaste for the Cubs.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
Ah, I get it now. You are DeWayne Wise. All right DeWayne, to be clear, actually like you, and I like having you on the 25-man roster. I just didn't like having you start in CF and leading off and I think you're a better player coming off the bench. Sorry for the misconception.

No, I'm not the BRG (Black Ross Gload). I just feel like I know him so much(even though I never met him), that I figured I would share with y'all how Deweezy feels about all this. Anderson fans are'nt racist, even though some might like him a bit more because he's white. It's only natural, just as when Larry Bird said the NBA needs some white stars to make the NBA more popular and to better relate to the majority white fans. And to the guy who said being biased is being racist, your flat wrong dude. That would make everyone in this country racist, because we're all biased in one way or another. And your FOS if you don't admit that.

On another note, I find it ironic that these people are fanboys of Anderson, while Brian is a fanboy of BRG. And who can blame him? Who in their right mind wouldn't want a Black Ross Gload roaming in CF for us.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Does Lillebridge deserve to be on a big league roster? If I spelled his name wrong, too bad.

There are worse backups in the league. Gives you decent defense, multiple positions, solid option as a pinch runner late in games.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Also, I think race plays a big role in why a white guy like Joe Crede has more of a cult-like following than a black player like Jermaine Dye. One would argue that both players should have an equal cult-like following, but the majority of white fans, such on this board, were devastated when Crede left the Sox via free agency and they have no problem whatsoever to see Dye being traded or leave as a free agent when his contract is up.

It's more likely that Crede was an absolute bad-ass (both offensively AND defensively) from August-October of 2005, and the Sox most likely wouldn't have won the WS without him. Crede also came up through the Sox farm system. Dye was a hired gun via free agency.

Frank Thomas is perhaps the most beloved Sox player of his generation. And it has zero to do with his skin color.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
BA as a starter so far

Walk (caught stealing, but Lillibridge missed hit and run contact), K (critical AB) and 4-3 (at least he didn't K against Perry, who had just knocked down Alexei twice)

1/8 on the season (.125)

So I see we're gonna be bumping up this thread after every poor BA performance now?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:06 AM)
So I see we're gonna be bumping up this thread after every poor BA performance now?

Well, that, and everytime James Diego decides to talk in 3rd person and tell everyone how they are wrong about Dewayne and when he give out really bad acronyms. Other than that, its kind of dead

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:10 AM)
Well, that, and everytime James Diego decides to talk in 3rd person and tell everyone how they are wrong about Dewayne and when he give out really bad acronyms. Other than that, its kind of dead

He's talking in first person actually

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
The double-standards on race in this board is ridiculous. A lot of people will deny that race plays a role, but I don't buy it. I'm calling it out and the issue here is that race plays a subconscious role in how some fans decide to support a player or not.

Race is definitely a factor in who fans cheer for in sports, but it cuts both ways. When is the last time you saw a black fan wear a jersey of a white player? I don't see it too often. I also don't think it's a big deal. People naturally cheer for the players they identify with. Look around at a sporting event, and you'll see many white fans wearing jerseys of their favorite (often black) players.

I think many Sox fans (myself included) would like Anderson to get a solid hunk of playing time to wee what he can do over a long period. He's definitely excellent defensively. Might he be a guy like Crede who develops slowly offensively on the MLB level? Who knows? If he can hit .260, it probably would be worth it to put him in center and bat him ninth.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Um, Paul Konerko

Um, I said, "I don't see it too often." I didn't say it never happens.

Here's what I see, though. Black guys tend to wear jerseys of black players. See many black guys in Tom Brady jerseys? Peyton Manning? Not really. You'll see them in Vick jerseys, though. Is it because Vick is better than Brady or Manning? How about in Joe Montana jerseys? Nope. Randall Cunningham? I saw a few. Who was a better player?

In the 80's, did you see many black guys in Bird jerseys? I know I didn't. Magic? I did.

On the contrary, white people tend to buy jerseys across all racial lines. They might subconciously (or even loudly) root for white players to have success. Does that make them racists? I don't think so. I think people of all races tend to root for the success of their race, nationality, countrymen, etc. Call it what you want, but I don't think it fall under the umbella of racism.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Here's what I see, though. Black guys tend to wear jerseys of black players.

On the contrary, white people tend to buy jerseys across all racial lines.

Might all this be because the vast majority of superstars in major sports are black??? Nah...

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Race is definitely a factor in who fans cheer for in sports

Not really. Culture is a much greater factor. White fans embraced Reggie Miller a lot more than Allen Iverson.

And, as has been said before in this thread, good luck finding a Sox fan who prefers Ron Schueler and Terry Bevington to Kenny and Ozzie.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 07:10 AM)

Brian was the genuis behind BRG:

I hope no one gets offended, because it's not meant to be offensive, but I really do call him the black Ross Gload. He's the African-American Ross Gload, there you go. Ross Gload is so versatile and he's such a great hitter. But a guy like Dewayne Wise, you're almost in awe, wondering why this guy is not playing everyday somewhere. This guy was about to go play Independent ball and he's helping us win postseason games.

Brian's blog

For the fanboys' sake, hopefully Anderson may one day give us another White Ross Gload.

Um, I said, "I don't see it too often." I didn't say it never happens.

Here's what I see, though. Black guys tend to wear jerseys of black players. See many black guys in Tom Brady jerseys? Peyton Manning? Not really. You'll see them in Vick jerseys, though. Is it because Vick is better than Brady or Manning? How about in Joe Montana jerseys? Nope. Randall Cunningham? I saw a few. Who was a better player?

In the 80's, did you see many black guys in Bird jerseys? I know I didn't. Magic? I did.

On the contrary, white people tend to buy jerseys across all racial lines. They might subconciously (or even loudly) root for white players to have success. Does that make them racists? I don't think so. I think people of all races tend to root for the success of their race, nationality, countrymen, etc. Call it what you want, but I don't think it fall under the umbella of racism.

f*** any so-called Sox fan who won't wear the name "Thomas" for that dumb reason :lol: