Viciedo may need a new glove

Cubano

3 errors in a few games. If this continues, the Sox may need to implement plan B unless he shows flashes defensively. Beckman has 2 errors.

Glad to see Viciedo hitting 300. Hopefully, he will start hitting for more power as he gets comfortable.

Bad footwork seems to be a big part of Viciedo's defensive issues from what I've seen. He seems to be hesitant when the ball is hit to him. He stands too upright when he is at third, a third basemen needs to be squating a little bit in preparation. One of the White Sox roving fielding instructors needs to spend some extensive time with him if they really want him to play adequate third base.

I have to think with Fields production, that long term, Viciedo is penciled into a corner outfield spot or 1st base. If he can hit like everyone thinks he can, he'll still be incredibly productive in any of those spots. Obviously there is more value in having him at third, but if you can't, you can't. Plus you still have Beckham who might have to move to another position and than of course there is Brandon Allen as well. The big question is obviously who ends up panning out, because it would be highly unlikely that all of them do.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Bad footwork seems to be a big part of Viciedo's defensive issues from what I've seen. He seems to be hesitant when the ball is hit to him. He stands too upright when he is at third, a third basemen needs to be squating a little bit in preparation. One of the White Sox roving fielding instructors needs to spend some extensive time with him if they really want him to play adequate third base.

I think because in Cuba they play you in many different positions, at the beginning of your career you may have some problems in a position. Later, you are OK if you learn and get used to it. In the juniors, Viciedo even pitched and played SS.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
By the way, don't worry so much about his power numbers, he's playing in a park that is notoriously unfriendly to hitters.

Yes, I read that from one of you guys who lives down there. I forgot who is the forumer that lives down there.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
He would be one large shortstop, wouldn't he?

The Kirby Puckett of shortstops.

:D

In the juniors anything is possible. I am sure he was not that big then.