Sox sign Podsednik to MLC

Sockin

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
As Pods biggest critic, I applaude this move. He sucks, but................. He is better than Owens. He even is better than Wise. Let him get up to speed in Charlotte and when he's ready if BA hasn't taken over, let him play until he comes up lame.

Exactly. Sure there are tons of other guys I'd rather have, but Pods is better than the other guys we had playing. You could make a case for BA having a shot at being better and I expect him to get the job for the next week or so until Pods is back and ready to play. Pods shoudln't need much time in the minors since he had a full spring.

I'm going to disagree that Pods is an upgrade over Owens and Wise just for the fact that Pods in CF might be the scariest thing in the world. This move worries me as I think he's going to take some playing time away from Anderson and having Pods out in center at all is just a disaster waiting to happen.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
I agree. Probably a minor league deal so he can go down to Charlotte to get back in shape.

Ozzie was quoted as KW told him he was calling up Owens "for a few days". Maybe they think Pods will be ready in a few days as he hasn't played in couple of weeks. I can't see how anyone thinks Pods, when he's not hurt, isn't better than Owens. Pods in CF is a scary thought, but you can say that about several White Sox when they are out on the field. I do know Ozzie would sub defensively for Pods and he probably wouldn't for Owens, so BA might get on the field late in some games he normally would be riding pine in. Hopefully though, its all moot, and BA starts scorching the ball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Ozzie was quoted as KW told him he was calling up Owens "for a few days". Maybe they think Pods will be ready in a few days as he hasn't played in couple of weeks. I can't see how anyone thinks Pods, when he's not hurt, isn't better than Owens. Pods in CF is a scary thought, but you can say that about several White Sox when they are out on the field. I do know Ozzie would sub defensively for Pods and he probably wouldn't for Owens, so BA might get on the field late in some games he normally would be riding pine in. Hopefully though, its all moot, and BA starts scorching the ball.

Like that game in Oakland back in April of '07.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I'm going to disagree that Pods is an upgrade over Owens and Wise just for the fact that Pods in CF might be the scariest thing in the world. This move worries me as I think he's going to take some playing time away from Anderson and having Pods out in center at all is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I think the scarier thing is Ozzie's trust level in Pods, and the potential for him to get way too much playing time. With that said, I'm excited, as it will be entertaining as hell on here with Pods playing.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick...

Are you serious? Why...

Hell, I guess if nothing else, my avatar and Tag title are now meaningful again!

You and I tried, but it's like an awful mother-in-law....it's always lurking

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)

Plus, one thing you have to like about Pods is his ability to work the count at the top of the order. He struck out more than I liked as a leadoff hitter but he also has a pretty good eye and will usually make a pitcher work. And while he won't put up ridiculous numbers, in fact, his numbers will be below league average (since he is older), you have to realize that that is a significant upgrade over the other CF options. I still expect Anderson to get the chance to take the reigns (and I hope he does and I expect the Sox to give him that opportunity), but against tough righties I wouldn't be opposed to having Pods slide in. Plus, Pods could be a really nice guy to have pinch hit late in the innings when you might need a run (be nice to be able to bring in a former leadoff hitter to pinch hit to start an inning late in a game). In a reserve role I'd also expect him to be able to hone the craft as a bunter plus he's a very smart baserunner as well so as a whole I see a lot of added value in having a guy like Pods alround. You also know that he'll mesh well in the clubhouse. And if Pods gets hurt or doesn't have it, it cost you nothing. We already know Owens doesn't have it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Like that game in Oakland back in April of '07.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick...

Are you serious? Why...

Hell, I guess if nothing else, my avatar and Tag title are now meaningful again!

Speak of the f***ing devil.

GOOD!!! I actually asked the question why not yesterday:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...70914&st=75

Tell ya what...he may not be the ideal CF...but he's head and shoulders a better leadoff option than Owens (or having Owens anywhere NEAR the lineup). And if anybody followed Pods this spring...he swung the bat VERY well and was running incredibly well. Hope he's keeping his hammy's stretched.

I for one like it...let Anderson be our new full time CF and have Pods on the bench for certain roles/situations, UNLESS Anderson totally botches his big break. Also, Pods can be useful for giving Anderson or TCQ a day off now and again -- and for pinch running situations. Even though he is older, his reputation for stealing still precedes him and will undoubtedly throw off opposing pitchers who will once again be more worried with Pods stealing on them than throwing a good pitch.

Welcome back Pods, I don't care what these Soxtalk nazi's say -- you are better than Owen and Wise!

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)

I'm sorry but right away I just think of Mackowiak from 06 with this move, you know, minus the decent bat. Pods is an upgrade over Owens offensively but a huge down grade defensively(not that Owens is anything special). And as for Wise, at least he can bring some power which Pods obviously has none of unless it's October. I just believe he's going to cost us a lot more runs in center than the amount of runs he brings us by hitting a few more singles than Owens does.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Welcome back Pods, I don't care what these Soxtalk nazi's say -- you are better than Owen and Wise!

I don't think anyone has tried to claim that Owens or Wise are better than Pods. It's very much the opposite.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
I don't think anyone has tried to claim that Owens or Wise are better than Pods. It's very much the opposite.

Then I don't get all the complaints from you and your Soxtalk nazi brotherhood! :D

Look, we weren't getting anyone else...so this is what we have. Pods or Owens (or Wise when he returns) as backup for Anderson (unless Anderson blows his chance).

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)

I have and I'll stick to that. If we were talking about LF it'd be a different story, but we're talking about cf and I'd rather have Wise or Owens at this point, true story.