Sox sign Podsednik to MLC

Sockin

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um wow is all I have to say at this.

Well he's probably better than Owens but that isn't saying much.

I hope BA runs away with the job and Pods never has to play for us (especially in center field).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
If Makowiak, Griffey, Everett, and Swisher could play CF for Ozzie then so will Pods.

Exactly, and this is what I'm afraid of.

I don't understand Ozzie's supposed commitment to fundamentals. In his world, it applies to bunting and base-stealing at the top of the order, but never seems to apply to strong defense up the middle.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
And to say Edmonds is better is irrelevant. Remember people, HE DIDN'T WANT TO COME HERE! So, he's out. Who's left? Lofton? Gonzalez? Are they better? I would say no.

I recall Edmonds not approving a trade here several years ago when he thought he would be better off elsewhere, but I don't see how that rules him "out" for 2009 when he is still unemployed. Things change, e.g., Bartolo Colon.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I recall Edmonds not approving a trade here several years ago when he thought he would be better off elsewhere, but I don't see how that rules him "out" for 2009 when he is still unemployed. Things change, e.g., Bartolo Colon.

As much as Kenny likes to say he'll do anything to win...he won't. I don't think he's forgotten...or forgiven.

He hit .240/.381/.320/.701 in the spring with a 11:6 BB:K and 4/7 in SB

Spring training is PERFECT for Scott Podsednik's approach at the plate. Most pitchers have trouble finding the zone during march and Podsednik's bat-on-shoulder-don't-swing-for-nothin' approach will lead to many walks. I'm sure his 6 K's were all looking.

So, we've gone from the sox being in LUVVV with Owens and couldn't wait to stick it to BA! a couple hours ago to the sox are in LUVVV with Podsednik and can't wait to stick it to BA!

Couldn't be we needed a decent-to-awful LH outfield bat to replace our awful left hand bat, could it? That too reasonable?

Oh right, we have the stupidest manager in sports and our GM is entirely awful...blah blah blah

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Couldn't be we needed a decent-to-awful LH outfield bat to replace our awful left hand bat, could it? That too reasonable?

If I hadn't lived through the Mackowiak in CF disaster in 2006 and the Erstad in CF debacle in 2007, I'd be more than happy to believe that was the case. So far though, actions speak louder than words. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
If I hadn't lived through the Mackowiak in CF disaster in 2006 and the Erstad in CF debacle in 2007, I'd be more than happy to believe that was the case. So far though, actions speak louder than words. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

This is a different team with different circumstances. After 07 BA spoke of his attitude adjustment, Ozzie does have to manage a team whom he sees every day, it's possible more than our video-game minds should be brought into consideration. I'm not saying he's always right, but the overreaction, hyperbole on this board is astoundingly ridiculous. BA should have someone to platoon with, and we DO need a contingency plan if Getz has trouble. Pods is hardly a great contingency plan, but he's sure as s*** better than Owens.

Edmonds. may. not. have. been. able. to be gotten.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
This is a different team with different circumstances. After 07 BA spoke of his attitude adjustment, Ozzie does have to manage a team whom he sees every day, it's possible more than our video-game minds should be brought into consideration. I'm not saying he's always right, but the overreaction, hyperbole on this board is astoundingly ridiculous. BA should have someone to platoon with, and we DO need a contingency plan if Getz has trouble. Pods is hardly a great contingency plan, but he's sure as s*** better than Owens.

Edmonds. may. not. have. been. able. to be gotten.

I don't think the Sox (KW or Ozzie) would be interested in Edmonds regardless. I do believe they're proud of their new found speed in CF. With another plodder in Center they could no longer claim that greater than half the lineup is capable of going first to third or score from second on a single.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
BA should have someone to platoon with, and we DO need a contingency plan if Getz has trouble. Pods is hardly a great contingency plan, but he's sure as s*** better than Owens.

I'll agree that a Getz contingency plan can't hurt, but I disagree that BA should have someone to platoon with. Worst that happens is he comes out, hits .160 again, gives us reasonable defense, and is replaced in 4-6 weeks when Wise comes back. What we would need in that case is a LH bat on the bench to pinch hit for him late in games if it's close and there's a RHP in. If that's how Pods is used, I'm totally game. But really, I have no urge to see a platoon where Podsednik/Owens, or hell, Wise for that matter, gets 2/3 of the AB's and 2/3 of the playing time in CF because of which side of the plate they hit from.

I really don't see the harm in the signing. I would take him over Wise and Owens any day, and as much as I'd like to see Brian Anderson do well, history says he won't. I agree that he hasn't gotten enough time to prove himself. But, Pods as a back-up is okay with me.